Is it over with this guy ?

kad1102

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:56 pm
Hi everyone. Thank you for reading and responding to my thread in advance.

I met this guy on POF ( an online dating site ) about a month ago. We exchanged numbers the first day of conversations on the site and he texted me everyday since then. We went on a total of 4 dates together in two weeks. After the first date, he told me he had deleted his online dating account. He texted me in the morning, afternoon, evenings, basically all day. I was very responsive. I replied immediately and always said yes when he asked me to do something. I was flirty and nice even though I did not initiate the conversations. I showed interest. And I was always the first one to text him goodnight. He was very sweet and things started up very fast. He started calling me baby and complimenting me after our first date. I thought things were going pretty well.

Fast forward to three weeks of dating and he tells me that I never ask him to do anything. This may have been the case, but he always beat me to it. I told him I understand and I will try to change that. We had then arranged to see each other that week on a Friday, time or place planned. Then that Friday came and I did not hear from him until noon (I was at the mall at that time ). At that point I asked him around what time he would like to meet, and he said when I would like. Then he proposed a movie that I did not want to see and I said : I dont think I want to see that movie, but if you really want to go we can see each other another time. After that he got mad and told me I was not ready for a relationship and that he was more invested that I was and I was not demonstrative enough. It is true that he did initiate plans and the texting, but he never gave me time to initiate or plan anything. He constantly texted me and asked me to do things, maybe if he would have cooled down, I would have eventually asked him or texted first. In any case, he then told me I needed to think about things. It takes me time to warm up to someone, I would have initiated more eventually, maybe when we were an official couple. I was not open and vulnerable right from the get go but I showed interest.

I did just that and told him that things were going a bit fast and that I needed more time to open up to him and that I would initiate more from now on which I did. However, since that day, he stopped texting me first and went completely cold and distant. I had asked him to do something with me and he kept saying he would get back to me and never did. I did do my best to be more demonstrative and show my interest. But his behavior did not change so I asked him what he wanted and if he wanted to continue dating me. ( this was a week after him being cold and distant ). I was interested in him, but maybe I did not open up fast enough when he was putting in effort..

His response was:

I will be super honest with you. When we first started dating I was very interested in you and I still am a lot. But you were distant in the beginning and what happened made me think a lot. I think about it a lot since it happened. I do not think that either of us is ready for a long term and serious relationship. You have work and school, and I am not saying that you would not be able to make time for me but I also have a complicated work schedule and I am thinking of going back to school as well very soon. It seems like the timing isn't good. And you also made me realize that people should not rush into things, which is a flaw that I have. I think the best thing to do is to let things just evolve without pressure and see where things go. Those who are made for each other find a way back to each other. I really believe that. I want to tell you that I sincerely enjoyed every moment that I spent with you and I think you are a great and beautiful woman. I have a feeling that we will meet again I just think that right now I am indecisive and confused and I do not want to make you wait for nothing. I do really wish you all the best, but I would like to stay in contact with you if you want to. I hope you are not mad at me, I though for about 4 hours before sending you this message. Have a nice night and I hope with all my heart that you would want to keep in touch with me. Please let me know how you feel about this.

I replied by saying that I understand and that we could keep in touch. His response was :

I am so happy that you want to stay in touch. It makes me so happy! Have a great day and talk to you soon.

It has been 5 days I did not hear from him. He is adding a bunch of women on facebook and has a new dating account up on POF. ( I dont know if this was going on the week he went distant or the day after he texted me ) It made me very suspicious of his true intent.

Then today, after 5 days of no contact he texts me : Hi, I have been thinking about you yesterday and I am thinking about you now too. I am going to sleep because I am going to work soon. Hope you have a great day.

I replied that it was nice of him to text me and that I hope he has a nice shift at work and take care with a smiley face. And he replied thank you and didnt hear from him again. I know he is perusing other possibilities.

I am very confused as to what happened here and what this all means. Is he still interested or want to get back together ? Is he confused or am I just a plan B ?
Is he testing to see if I am still an option if things fail with others ?

Any advice would be appreciated

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:23 pm
@kad1102,
I think you hit the nail on the head that you are probably a Plan B (sorry).

He does seem to overreact to the weirdest things. You not liking the movie he picked out means that you're not ready for a relationship? Christ, if that was the case, then I wouldn't be ready for a relationship with my husband.

And we're married for over 23 years.

So, weird. The guy just seems to have odd expectations.

You're better off with someone a lot clearer and less passive-aggressive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:26 pm
@kad1102,
One question.

Did you initiate any contact during the five days he didn't text you?

___

Seriously, doesn't sound like you guys are much of a match. You seem to have really different approaches.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:29 pm
@kad1102,
There are signs this guy is a control freak and wants a relationship his way on his terms and in his timeframe. If he's quick to start complaining about how you failed to meet his expectations, plan on that playing out in many other ways in the future, meals that weren't cooked right, books you didn't read, "wrong ideas" in your head, etc. Say goodbye, it's been nice, wave, move on.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 08:32 pm
He moved way too fast and you were stationary. He expected you to jump into the excitement of the relationship, but he controlled everything - then complained because you weren't assertive enough.

This guy doesn't know what he wants.

Can you imagine what he would have been like if you two were going together? Be glad you are rid of him. He just sounds weird.
0 Replies