A question for the old timers...

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I may be wrong, as the Hawkeye post may still be there, I didn't memorize it.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am thinking I left shortly before you came... But it seems like I remember you... Or there is something familiar about you... Hum...
onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso... I am so confused... Lol are you talking to someone or just thinking out loud? Which reminds me... If someone blocks you, does that mean you can no longer see what they post too?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:44 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:

I am thinking I left shortly before you came... But it seems like I remember you... Or there is something familiar about you... Hum...

I started out on the relationship forum, which I loved because people got told the truth regardless of what they wanted to hear. Within a year the mob was trying to drive me out because I was arguing for a lower age of consent, which instantly had the close minded assuming that I want to (and probably do) have sex with teenagers. It was said that I am so morally repulsive that I should not be allowed to speak.

As a person who has spent my whole life around sexual abuse and its consequences that was a very bizarre assertion, and besides I had learned by my early 20's to not let my voice be silenced by abuse and intimidation, so I as never going to be bullied into silence . I will speak what I believe is the truth regardless of the consequences. Robert was told to throw me out or else, and he went with the or else.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Hawkeye posted something anti Robert and then I called him an ass, considering explicating on the reasons but leaving it as is. We both deleted, which explains onevoice's post.

Please, speaking truth is not anti Robert. I am confident that he would own the truth if he were to post. He did not get to where he is by turning a blind eye to his mistakes and truth does matter to him I think. We tend to not agree, but I dont have a problem with that..... I have a problem with stupid people, and liars, and those who hurt people for no good reason.

I did not delete a post. Osso may have started drinking early today. This is not a slam, as that is what I would do if I were her...just saying that she is factually wrong.
onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 04:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sad *sigh*
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:10 pm
A2K has changed just like all online communities do. There's actually a known cycle of communities. As in, there is research behind this -
https://www.feverbee.com/the-online-community-lifecycle/
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:26 pm
@onevoice,
I saw a post by Hawkeye and reacted. I thought he pulled his post (not a usual thing for him). I was wrong, he didn't. It was me, not seeing it, having him on ignore, because I didn't see the tiny letters on the new posts page, re my ignored folks.

It can get complicated traversing here, but don't worry.
onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
"I am not participating in your spiritual thread as I'm probably one of the least spiritual people here, but I'm interested in how you are."

Oh osso, I hope I have not been putting off a religious tard vibe since I have been back! I apologize if I have though! I am interested in how all of you are doing as well! All the spiritual stuff aside. I have not wandered too far out of the spiritual discussions because I don't wanna look too deep, too quick at some personal things I think I may find outside of there. It's hard to see some of that in black and white, ya know? I hope to find a common ground soon to discuss something other than that though. Smile I do think about other stuff believe it or not! Lol
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:40 pm
@ossobuco,
No worry.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:04 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
I hope to find a common ground soon

I could live with seeing more of that around here. Usually the way it goes here is "oh, you dont agree with me on subject xyzxyz? Well then YOU SUCK! YOU MUST BE DESTROYED!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:20 pm
@onevoice,
No, it doesn't.

In the mildest sense, it means the person doesn't want to see more about buffalos rampaging in antarctica, so they use the thumb process not to have to keep seeing that. At the least, the person may not want to read all about it.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:26 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

A2K has changed just like all online communities do. There's actually a known cycle of communities. As in, there is research behind this -

Um, Excuse me, exactly what are you implying here?

That is mostly crap, it assumes no mini revolutions, which is what usually happens if the owners are wise enough to let it happen. That life cycle is the usually program under bad management.
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
I barely know where to begin.

So let's go in order, shall we?

1. http://able2know.org/topic/292410-1#post-6025358
hawkeye10 wrote:

We lost a bunch soon after the new A2K went live, mostly they felt that the new platform was too complicated or they just did not like the feel. We lost a lot more because of the meanness, mostly from the liberals, as they worked tirelessly over years and often in mob action to drive away those who dont agree with them. Those who stay tend to be male, american and those who like to fight or argue. I am an american white guy who likes to argue.

Another thing which seems to be true is that those who dont spend a lot of time here tend to find the new A2K too much work, because when they log on they are flooded with many pages of threads and have to find what they want, were as before they would just check the forums that they were interested in. The self tabbing system never worked, both because of abuse tags and because many members like myself dont tag threads at all. The hamsters currently seem to be making a big effort to get good tags on threads, but it is a constant huge chore and that is only one of the problems here.

Actually, the site is far larger than it was, but the look and feel of the membership has changed, which is pretty typical for forum life cycles.

The tagging (not tabbing) system works just fine; it's better than forums because it allows for subtlety. Before, there was no good place to put a topic on, say, training a dog for show biz. Did it go under Pets? TV? Movies? Now, you just make your topic and tag it with all of those.

You can, of course, assist by tagging topics properly. Or you can keep bitching. Hey, your choice.

As for why people don't stay, the truth is, the vast, vast majority of A2K does not stick around. Yes, really, and that's the way that all open forums operate. See, the regulars are not the majority, not even close. It's the people who come for a quick Latin translation or are looking for their father or are worried about some weird skin rash or the like who make up the majority of A2K. They get their answers and they go.

That, by the way, is exactly how the site is supposed to work.

Also, the site is not overrun by males; you just believe it is because of where you hang out. Head into some of the other parts and you will see plenty of people from all over the world - the ESL students are a rather large part of this site. You're just not seeing their topics, or are clearing them or are ignoring the more prolific among them. That does not mean that they do not exist.

2. http://able2know.org/topic/292410-1#post-6025375
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Though I must say... It was a lot more fun when people actually talked. Lol

the diversity of smart interesting people was always the strength. The regime here never understood that, even though I tried to tell them. Robert straight up saying that he did not give a damn about the community, and his being mean to people, was a driver of the exodus.

Let's not try to get into Robert's mind and decide what he understands, okay? And when did he say he didn't give a damn about the community? I'd really like to see that one and not some vague half-recollection.

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Robert... Who was that?

Owner, the one who kept saying " I dont give a damn what you want or think, I own this place and I will do what ever I damn well please with it". He has been mostly not posting for a couple of years, I think he took my advise to stop being so hostile and stop making so many changes around here. Some people are concerned that this means that he lost interest and might close A2K, especially since he claimed that he was mostly interested in making money with A2K, and all of those plans failed miserably.

Again, I would like to see where he said this.

BTW, A2K was never meant to be a moneymaker. Where the hell did you get that idea? Robert doesn't make money off A2K; he makes it off other properties he owns.

When you don't intend to make money off something and then you don't make money off it, it's not a failure.

As for him not coming around, the truth is, he's a busy guy, with a life! He's not staying away because of anything you ever said or did; kindly do not flatter yourself. He is out working and he is also - and I know you didn't ask this, but I'll tell you anyway - in a relationship with a lovely gal. He is frying other fish that have nothing to do with you. And what he does, BTW, is paying work which helps to keep A2K up and running. Because servers aren't free.

hawkeye10 wrote:

onevoice wrote:

..... Robert was told to throw me out or else, and he went with the or else.

If he was 'told' this, it was not by anyone with a stake in the running of this forum.

People complain on forums all the time. That is one of the natures of forums, that there will always be someone complaining, no matter what happens.

hawkeye10 wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Hawkeye posted something anti Robert and then I called him an ass, considering explicating on the reasons but leaving it as is. We both deleted, which explains onevoice's post.

Please, speaking truth is not anti Robert. I am confident that he would own the truth if he were to post. He did not get to where he is by turning a blind eye to his mistakes and truth does matter to him I think. We tend to not agree, but I dont have a problem with that..... I have a problem with stupid people, and liars, and those who hurt people for no good reason. ...

Except it's not 'truth', it's half-recalled wishful thinking/opinion.

Don't call it what it isn't.

6. http://able2know.org/topic/292410-2#post-6025531

hawkeye10 wrote:

jespah wrote:

Um, Excuse me, exactly what are you implying here?

That is mostly crap, it assumes no mini revolutions, which is what usually happens if the owners are wise enough to let it happen. That life cycle is the usually program under bad management.

There is plenty of research on online communities. It's a field of study; I am getting my MA in it. And forums go through fairly well-known life cycles. Accept it or reject it but that doesn't change the actual, you know, research that has gone into this.

A2K is far from the only forum online. Hell, it's not even a terribly large one in the grand scheme of things.

As for 'mini revolutions', I wish I knew WTF you were talking about.

People leave, change, grow, return, join, die, etc. all the time. Those aren't revolutions, mini or otherwise; they are the natural rhythms of existence.

Do people disagree with management? Sure they do. Does management listen? Yes, we do. That's not a revolution. That's us doing our jobs.
onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I can honestly say I can see both sides of this. I understand what it feels like to feel ganged up on and shuned because you don't agree. But I also understand what it looks like from the outside of that too. When when you just can't find a middle ground. In such cases I have found it is more often than not beneficial to both sides to just agree to disagree, and not allow the disagreement to cause an issue in the "relationship". However that is defined in the context of the circumstances.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:06 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for the comments. I stand by my comments.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:14 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

He is frying other fish that have nothing to do with you.

Aha! Robert is off some where Frying Fish. I might have known.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:15 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
In such cases I have found it is more often than not beneficial to both sides to just agree to disagree
THat depends upon the people. Some can manage to argue and disagree with vigor and also agree to not let the argument damage the relationship.

Less common today than it used to be. We used to be better.
onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:16 pm
@roger,
Lol
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:18 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

jespah wrote:

He is frying other fish that have nothing to do with you.

Aha! Robert is off some where Frying Fish. I might have known.

and the argument was BS, Robert has always been extremely busy. But once he would stay up much of the night arguing facts, making arguments, picking fights, and telling us to **** off, and now he does not. And he has never told us why.