Deciding Whether To Divorce

SCoates

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:58 pm
I'm always one for saving a marriage. I have to say, I really don't like the advice to give up on the marriage because of rocky times. I think everyone has a very biased opinion in this area, and divorce isn't necessary for happiness nearly as much as people pretend it is.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 02:18 am
SCoates you are generally right. It's not good advice to give up on marriage because of rocky times. However, I am not sure if you can call this situation "rocky times". If someone is deeply unhappy in marriage it's more then rocky times. And in such situation divorce is better solution for everyone, including kids - if their parents get divorced they have good chance of having two separated parent that love them and show them love. If their parents stay together they will live in atmosphere of unhappiness and without love. Parents will probably still show them their love, but it's enough that they don't love each other in the same house, and that they are unhappy.

To give up on first problem - no.
To give up easily - no.
But to stay if you are positive that you can't be happy in that marriage, relationship, friendship or whatever - even bigger NO
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 02:20 am
angie wrote:

Whether your relationship improves or dissolves, the resulting situation will be healthier for your children than the one they're in now.

Exactly.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:48 pm
The way I look at it, if their staying together is a hopeless situation, that is something they will find out on their own. So I don't see any benefit in offering it as advice. I think it is better to offer encouragement to try to make things work.
Now, I will admit that, luckily, I am not experienced on the issue.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 04:39 pm
but on the other hand, original debate was held in January, so I suppose and I hope they found best solution themselves so far Wink
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 04:50 pm
January 2003. Smile
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:37 am
oh great Very Happy
0 Replies

nappy69

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:58 pm
Don't get a divorce! work out your problems, talk to eachother, if he's beating you or your children then get way bit i think not because he sounds nice, do everything in your power to stay together! I had a friend use parents were going to get a divorce and they went through some tapes and how to make your marriage work and now everythings going great! just hang in there everything will work itself out. i hope you do what makes you happy though and your kids good luck with everything!
0 Replies