Why do so many so-called Christians turn backwards to the Old Testament?

Leadfoot

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 09:19 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Luke 19:27 Our Lord was merely talking about a parable character, in this case the nobleman master, it was he who said," bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me" It wasn't directly from Lord Jesus. It was a parable character. People are always look for ways to discredit our Lord Jesus. But you know the funny is that they know instinctively behind their own doubt, that Lord Jesus has only compassion and forgiveness towards them, and all humanity.

Thank you for pointing that out Amoh, I am usually more careful about observing the context.
Still, he *was* comparing himself (or God, I'm not sure which off hand) to that parable character. I think he was emphasizing by using such shocking language (as he often does) that he was talking about a deadly serious principle and not some philosophical game of conversation.

The New Testament does make it clear that there will come a day when God will take back the lives of his enemies who received them from him in the first place. I'm sure it will be with regret, not glee. His will is that all should live.
reasoning logic

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over
them, and slay them before me"

Quote:
Still, he *was* comparing himself (or God, I'm not sure which off hand) to that parable character.

It makes me wonder what type of person I am dealing with when they compare themselves with someone who wants people killed in front of them. It seems like the same mentality used to feed Christians to lions.

Many years ago a father took his family to the coliseum for some entertainment. The main event was watching the lions chase and eat the Christians. When the event was over you could see the joy in the little boys eyes when he asked his father if they could come back again one day.

The father replied "only if you behave.

All that I am saying is that we all get morality wrong. We are not perfect no one is. Hopefully as we all learn better we will do better.

If people truly want to have a better understanding of ethics they might consider spending less time in theology and more time in moral philosophy.

Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
In your heart Frank, but seriously you'd be more familiar with the gospels of Lord Jesus since I read your post on your thread about becoming a priest. Cmon Frank own up
reasoning logic

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:10 pm
@Amoh5,
Can you believe all of this happened last month?

Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Luke 19:27 It was a parable about loyalty and the seriousness of disloyalty. And yes there is the impression that he was comparing this parable to the kingdom of God. Is it bad to illustrate the seriousness of disloyalty?
reasoning logic

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:34 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
he was comparing this parable to the kingdom of God.

The kingdom of God does not seem like such a nice place either. Why would so many angles want to leave? That place reminds me of earth but with a lot more drama.
Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'll watch it and see what I think, Signs of the end Part 93, hmmm
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

It makes me wonder what type of person I am dealing with when they compare themselves with someone who wants people killed in front of them. It seems like the same mentality used to feed Christians to lions.

I am not comparing myself to God in this case, for the sake of the discussion, I was putting myself in his place and trying to make sense of it.

I explained that I though his mentality was just the opposite of the 'lion feeders'. God was sorrowful at the deaths, not entertained.
Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:37 pm
@reasoning logic,
Is it bad to illustrate the seriousness of disloyalty?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I am not comparing myself to God in this case

I understand

Quote:
God was sorrowful at the deaths,

Why do you believe this?
Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 12:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
Why is it bad to illustrate the seriousness of disloyalty?
reasoning logic

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:01 pm
@Amoh5,
Wanting to see someone die in front of you is without empathy. It is without an understanding of how the brain works.

Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:26 pm
@reasoning logic,
Its just an illustration not real life. Do you think disloyalty is good?
Leadfoot

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
Reasoning logic wrote:
"Why do yo believe that? "

Mainly because I recognize the same things in myself as you (and therefore God) feels about the death of anyone. I don't usually quote directly from the bible but this was to the point:

Quote:
Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord God: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

The situation reminds me of the movie (Cold July) that I watched last night. A man decides to find an estranged son but when he finds him, he finds that his son is doing hideous crimes (making actual snuff films) . Due to complicated circumstances his son (in the witness protection program) will not be prosecuted by the police for their own reasons. So he feels it is his responsibility to kill his own son. He took no joy in it.
Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
Luke 19:27 Do you think its bad to illustrate the seriousness of disloyalty using a a parable which is not real life?
Leadfoot

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:03 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Luke 19:27 Do you think its bad to illustrate the seriousness of disloyalty using a a parable which is not real life?

Of course not. I did just that in my last post.
Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
Thank you for that Leadfoot I was beginning to think I'm the only normal one around here, and everyone else is crazy
Leadfoot

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:19 pm
@Amoh5,
You're welcome Amoh5. I often feel quite alone and isolated in my views as well. It would be so much easier to accept the mainstream view but I'm long past the point of turning back.
reasoning logic

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

The problems with antisocial psychopathy are many but to name a few, superficial charm, lying, killing, inconsistent story, grandiosity, rape and the list goes on.

“Only in the cities of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes. But you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite and the Amorite, the Canaanite and the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that they may not teach you to do according to all their detestable things which they have done for their gods, so that you would sin against the Lord your God”(Deuteronomy 20:16–18,
Amoh5

Sat 12 Sep, 2015 02:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
Thanks Leadfoot I share your oponion, I just posted to izzy on his torment towards Timur who was replying to your post. Izzy is in a cheeky mood today, I just couldn't help myself from commenting to izzy and his sense of humor
0 Replies