Why do so many so-called Christians turn backwards to the Old Testament?

Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:32 pm
@reasoning logic,
Luke 19:27 The person saying that is a character in his parable, not directly from Lord Jesus.
neologist

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
All of the disciples and Jesus himself...worshiped the god described in the Old Testament, Neo.

Why do you supposse so many Christians of today want to distant themselves as much as possible from that god?
It could be, that having denied themselves of an accurate understanding of the Hebrew texts, they flip and flop like a frightened flounder whenever the subject comes up.

After all, Frank, many who call themselves believers have an understanding similar to yours about Genesis, ch. 3. That's where the God dishonoring doctrines of predestination and reprobation came from. Happily, God will soon set those beliefs in their proper place.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:36 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Luke 19:27 The person saying that is a character in his parable, not directly from Lord Jesus.

Are you suggesting that this parable "teaching illustration" was not directly from the prince of peace?
reasoning logic

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:42 pm
@Amoh5,
Maybe this can add substance to your point of view about peace.

0 Replies

Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:46 pm
@neologist,
Yes Lord Jesus did quote from the Hebrew text and knew which quotes were worth reading. But he didn't say all scriptures are inspired, so I'm merely playing it safe not taking any notice of other scriptures that are not the spoken words of Lord Jesus. He didn't go along with the divorce contract agreed by Moses.
reasoning logic

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:54 pm
@Amoh5,
I will be honest with you. I do think that for the most part Jesus was an ethics teacher. I think someone else put that in there because it is not consistent with the teachings of Jesus. I am here to learn and get others to think.
Just as there are other false books that people believe and are not inspired by God so can our books be distorted.
Unless you think a God loves you more than others but wouldn't that be arrogant?
Leadfoot

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:00 pm
@Amoh5,
I think you are making an idol of Family. Here is what Jesus said:

"Matthew 10:34-37 KJV
[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. [36] And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. …"
Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:03 pm
@Smileyrius,
Well I guess I am keeping on the safe side, Lord Jesus didn't say all scripture are inspired. I'm not saying all other scripture is horrible, there are beautiful quotes in the Old Testament, but people can misinterpret things, and forget the most important teachings of Lord Jesus.
reasoning logic

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. [36] And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. …"

Again You can call me a cheery picker but I would say that this is not consistent with the teachings of Jesus. Maybe Jesus was a man and got ethics wrong at times. Like the rest of us.
Leadfoot

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
That was directed at Amoh5 but I can understand why you might say that.

No, those were Jesus's words and either he was consistent in his philosophy or he was a lying SOB. You are right in that Jesus was not anti family but he was pointing out that if you follow his path, you may well find yourself at odds with your family at some point.

His words leave no question of where your priorities should be.
Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't follow the Old Testament or any other teacher, only the spoken words of Lord Jesus
neologist

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:26 pm
@Amoh5,
Were it left to us to decide which scriptures are inspired, we would be subject to a religious clown show where good is bad and bad is good. Catholics could find moral imperatives to kill Catholics, Protestants to kill Protestants, and clergymen would bless cannons and battleships. What worse situation could we conceive?

Oh. Wait. . .

That's the way it is now, isn't it?
Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think we all call each other stinky, especially when they do the silent ones
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
No, those were Jesus's words and either he was consistent in his philosophy or he was a lying SOB. You are right in that Jesus was not anti family but he was pointing out that if you follow his path, you may well find yourself at odds with your family at some point.

I do think I seen as you do but I think there may be a nicer way Jesus could have explained why we would be at odds.
It is because we would find ourselves striving to be ethical and seeing members of our own household doing the opposite.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:54 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I don't follow the Old Testament or any other teacher, only the spoken words of Lord Jesus

I do think Jesus is a good place to start but I do hope you may reconsider looking in other places as well. You have a brain, Use it and come to your own understanding of reality.
Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:09 pm
@Smileyrius,
You are most kind and considerate, a most decent sort of chap I'd say, thank you most kindly. (I was trying hard to think of those Englishman expressions in those British movies, recall recall, thanks Smiley.)
0 Replies

Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
Lord Jesus to be precise.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes he is an ethics teacher, but you forgot the other part, OF GOD. Family ethics are most important, especially for the safety of our children from any sick-minded adults or influences. I think he was more than an ethics teacher though, more like a Father of humanity really. For any parent the question is "do you love your kids enough to the point where you may be facing death if necessary?
Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
Family is a vital reality and aspect of life that comes from God. If you don't have a sense of family towards yourself or any other human being, your lost. A stranger in a strange place, not to mention being a stranger to yourself also, a horrible lonely predicament I'd say. Family is about procreation, support and survival which can only come from God. You seem like a bible literalist, i'm not. Lord Jesus did say he was speaking figuratively. My understanding is that the sword is the word of God from Lord Jesus. The world is a warring battle ground for the survival of all species including humans. How do they survive without killing? My understanding of the turning against family members is about rejecting old concepts and accepting his version of the word of God. If they don't then they are not worthy of enlightenment. I don't see Lord Jesus as a human hater.
Amoh5

Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:44 pm
@neologist,
Its because they don't know who the absolute teacher is. Lord Jesus does not condone such behaviour. Thats what I mean when so-called Christians stray away from the words of Lord Jesus.