13
   

Why do so many so-called Christians turn backwards to the Old Testament?

 
 
Joe Sixpack
 
  3  
Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
So God only got off on that for a short period? Do you think it was a fad?
I think neo was figuring 7000 years would be enough
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:33 pm
@Joe Sixpack,
Maybe you are correct.
0 Replies
 
Amoh5
 
  1  
Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:49 am
I have often declared in my previous posts that I am not perfect, but strive to be in the spirit of Lord Jesus from God the Father. I do not claim perfection over other Christians or any human being, as Lord Jesus said : How can you say to your brother," let me remove the speck from your eye", when all the time there is a plank in your own eye. Claiming perfection over another human being can be delusional & hyprocritical. ----------------------------------------------------------- Therefore, it is more realistic to think neutrally towards vain ideals so that others do no feel uneasy in your company. ----------------------------------------------- I have a saying that I use to keep things real when I am pleaded to help towards strenuous tasks or I am expected to exceed my capabilities, "I'm not superman or a magician, but I'll do my best". --------------------------------------------------------- You know the most challenging aspect of life I think is as a human being, in all my adult years, is accepting or managing imperfection. Like everyone else, I too hope that everyday will go perfect and well. But in reality theres allways something that is going to catch you off guard and you think drat! Not one of those ones again! But I suppose we all have our ways of coping with this phenomenon. And thats another reason why I became a Christian.
0 Replies
 
Real Music
 
  1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 02:35 am
1. I am going to book mark this thread.

2. I think JGoldman10 might find this thread interesting enough to engage in conversation with other posters.
NealNealNeal
 
  0  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 06:11 am
@Real Music,
As a Jew I find that the entire OT leads up to the coming of Jesus, Who is the Messiah.
Adam and Eve sinned, which brought depravity to mankind. God promised to send the Messiah to restore fellowship back to man with God. Meanwhile, God established a covenant with Abraham to establish His people as Abraham trusted God.
Later, God established a covenant with His people through Moses. Primarily, He established the "sin offering" where a lamb was slain for the sins of each individual.
Finally, the Messiah came (the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world). His death was the ultimate death for our sins. He then defeated death by His resurrection.
Now, all that needs to happen is for each individual person to accept Jesus as his Savior and accept Him as Lord of his life. Then, he can have fellowship with God.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 08:00 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:


As a Jew I find that the entire OT leads up to the coming of Jesus, Who is the Messiah.
Adam and Eve sinned, which brought depravity to mankind. God promised to send the Messiah to restore fellowship back to man with God. Meanwhile, God established a covenant with Abraham to establish His people as Abraham trusted God.
Later, God established a covenant with His people through Moses. Primarily, He established the "sin offering" where a lamb was slain for the sins of each individual.
Finally, the Messiah came (the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world). His death was the ultimate death for our sins. He then defeated death by His resurrection.
Now, all that needs to happen is for each individual person to accept Jesus as his Savior and accept Him as Lord of his life. Then, he can have fellowship with God.



Your god put Adam and Eve in a "garden" with a particular tree of which they were ordered not to eat its fruit. They supposedly were totally innocent...and had absolutely no idea of what was good or evil. And, as any child would tell you, they eventually ate of the fruit of that tree.

That so enraged your god that it condemned the two in the harshest terms possible...and condemned all of humanity for all time also.

Humanity is not guilty of "depravity" in that story...your god is!

But to give your god his due...he decided he would make things right with humanity by sending his son to Earth to "redeem" humanity. All humanity had to do was to torture and kill that son...and he would forgive them.

How anyone can "worship" a god like that is beyond comprehension.

This has been discussed before: https://able2know.org/topic/9750-1

NealNealNeal
 
  0  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 08:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
God is Holy. He can not tolerate disobedience to Him. Adam and Eve did not believe what God told them (if you eat of the tree you shall surely die). God was true to His word.
Jesus willingly came down to earth and died for our sins. I am absolutely amazed that He would do this. It shows how tremendous His love and grace is
God insists that His worshippers trust and obey Him. If we do so, life becomes absolutely wonderful. However, Christians need to go through the sanctification process in order to learn to trust God.
My concern for you is where you end up after you die. Otherwise, I would just say to live your life as you are living it.
bulmabriefs144
 
  0  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 07:53 am
@Amoh5,
The problem is, I've talked to you guys, and you don't understand the Bible.

Read the Book of God: ths Bible as a Novel. It puts things in perspective, beginning with Abraham (with some stories from Noah and Elijah, I think) and ending with the Gospel. It writes these stories like you are seeing a history play out standing over the shoulder of these people. You see why all these wars happened, how there are people, kings, priests, and prophets (and of course God), and suddenly why the Old Testament matters. It matters because of the story of a long term relationship with God with the chosen people, and how they let God down, and God sent his son anyway. But not just for the Jews.

It also matters, because the Ten Commandments are still part of the code that they live by, even though kashrut is not followed. And it matters because all those other laws are seen as a curse, something we couldn't hope to live up to. The old law is to lead us to Christ. Without that law, we don't really understand this.

The New Testament only has no context. Jesus is some cool dude that pops up and forgives our sins. That's great but what's Revelation for? And maybe some of the letters should be left out because they relate to Christian ties with Judaism. Pretty soon, you just have the gospel and Acts. Maybe.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 08:20 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

The problem is, I've talked to you guys, and you don't understand the Bible.


That is NOT "the problem."

Your inappropriately inflated ego is a large part of YOUR problem.

If there is anyone here who does NOT understand the Bible...YOU are that person.

But your ego demands that you suppose everyone else does not understand it; you do; and that you are schooling us. (And patting yourself on the back for doing it.)

Get off your high horse and come back to Earth.

Discuss YOUR OPINION with us if you want, but don't suppose you are sharing "the truth" to a bunch of people who are your intellectual inferiors.

Unless, of course, you want to continue being laughed at.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 08:21 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

God is Holy. He can not tolerate disobedience to Him. Adam and Eve did not believe what God told them (if you eat of the tree you shall surely die). God was true to His word.
Jesus willingly came down to earth and died for our sins. I am absolutely amazed that He would do this. It shows how tremendous His love and grace is
God insists that His worshippers trust and obey Him. If we do so, life becomes absolutely wonderful. However, Christians need to go through the sanctification process in order to learn to trust God.
My concern for you is where you end up after you die. Otherwise, I would just say to live your life as you are living it.



Thank you for sharing your blind guess that there is a "god"...and your blind guesses about what it is willing to tolerate and not tolerate.
NealNealNeal
 
  0  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 12:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You can continue in your ignorance if you want.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 12:20 pm
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

You can continue in your ignorance if you want.


Keep trying. You may eventually type something that makes sense.
NealNealNeal
 
  0  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 02:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I KNOW that God exists. You are merely ignorant of His existence.
Leadfoot
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 02:53 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Quote:
You are merely ignorant of His existence.

Frank did say his life was bliss.
NealNealNeal
 
  0  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2021 03:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
You are merely ignorant of His existence.

Frank did say his life was bliss.
The problem for Frank is that one day (when it is too late) he will no longer be ignorant.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2021 04:09 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

I KNOW that God exists. You are merely ignorant of His existence.


Yeah, sure you do. Like some atheists KNOW there are no gods.

Wake up...if you can.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2021 04:12 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
You are merely ignorant of His existence.

Frank did say his life was bliss.
The problem for Frank is that one day (when it is too late) he will no longer be ignorant.


My position is: I do not know if any gods exist.

Your position is: I KNOW a particular GOD exists.

And you make a statement like that?

You are a fool...and I am beginning to think there will never come a day when you will no longer be a fool.
Leadfoot
 
  0  
Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2021 05:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
My position is: I do not know if any gods exist.

You mean that book lied when it said nobody has an excuse for not knowing?

I used to have a long list of things there that didn’t make any sense. The list has gotten much shorter over the years. I take it your's didn’t.
davidsheep88
 
  0  
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2021 08:42 pm
@Amoh5,
we are spiritual hebrew people , the law was directed to the 12 tribes of Israel and not to gentiles there is a verse in isaiah where god permits the foreign antions to keep his sabbath. But the laws are for the 12 tribes they do not apply. But Jesus says if we love our G-d we will keep thy all commandments.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2021 05:54 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

You mean that book lied when it said nobody has an excuse for not knowing?


What do you expect? It was written by a bunch of primitives in a pre Industrial society who couldn’t even get their own history right let alone anything else.
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/18/2021 at 09:10:20