Why do so many so-called Christians turn backwards to the Old Testament?

Amoh5

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:22 am
@reasoning logic,
I had a read of the therapeutae on Wikipedia it said they may have been monks as well. According to the info I think they were beautiful decent human beings. But they lacked one thing, a military defence strategy.
reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:38 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
they lacked one thing, a military defence strategy.

They may have thought that God was on their side. They did seem to be very good people but when you start teaching ethics to many people around the Mediterranean sea and many people start thinking for themselves about the knowledge of good and bad they may start to question the king's ethics policy or the roman empire's ethics policy and start asking questions about the kings slave plantation.
Amoh5

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 05:05 am
@reasoning logic,
Sounds like the Corporate system, profit before people, don't ask too many questions if you want to stay employed
reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 05:11 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Sounds like the Corporate system, profit before people, don't ask too many questions if you want to stay employed

You speak as if you have a creditable understanding at times.
Amoh5

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 05:44 am
@reasoning logic,
Just because I say I'm a Christian, it doesn't mean I haven't gone through life's blood, sweat and tears reality like everyone else. I've been through some hard times that have made me disbelieve in any airy fairy magical ideas.
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 06:44 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:

Just because I say I'm a Christian, it doesn't mean I haven't gone through life's blood, sweat and tears reality like everyone else. I've been through some hard times that have made me disbelieve in any airy fairy magical ideas.

Jesus brought a 'sword' not just to families but to every aspect of life here.

Good that you are prepared for that.
reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:19 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Why do so many so-called Christians turn backwards to the Old Testament?

Do you think we may be "Back Sliders"? Or could it be that we slowly evolve ethically being we are the 5th apes and psychopathy is predominant in comparison to moral philosophy?
Amoh5

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:44 am
@Leadfoot,
To be brutally honest I was attracted to Christianity by the morality of Lord Jesus, human morality that is. Not the airy fairy magical stories about him. To me his sense of morality is magical and the greatest I've ever encountered. Its not always easy being human, getting along with others, especially ourselves. I've tried the irobot psyche, trying to orientate in this world like a biological robot denying any divine influences, hoping that physics might have all the answers to our imperfect robotic frustrations. Lord Jesus is the one who taught me how to value human life, not physics or any modern day scientist. He taught me how to get along with people, especially myself. Before I became a Christian I was an angry and spiteful lost person not realising the importance of valueing human life. Yes initially I had love for my parents, brothers and sisters, but life's challenges and frustrations soon drained that love out of me. The only magic I believe in is the power of positive thinking which for me comes from God through Lord Jesus. He restored my sense of family towards my parents, brothers and sisters, and towards other people. I was a negative thinking time bomb before I became a Christian.
Amoh5

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:10 am
@reasoning logic,
Your question to whether we are back sliders or we are slowly evolving ethically... I don't think we really have the capacity and ability to completely psycho analyse ourselves. Our judgement is always impaired by our own imperfections, Lord Jesus is perfect, therefore he can make clear judgements on the human psyche.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:25 am
@Amoh5,
Yes, Jesus did something no one else could - brought God's morality to us in a way we could never understand if he hadn't. And for that I am eternally grateful. As you point out, look what a mess we had in the Old Testement before him.
Amoh5

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Yes I too am also eternally grateful to Lord Jesus for bringing God's morality to us. I believe the Old Testament is part of the spiritual journey of humanity in their quest to realise God's absolute authority through Lord Jesus
reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:25 am
@Amoh5,
The two of you are speaking as if the person Jesus is a Factual person. What seems factual to me is that the message is a better working model of how a society would be if people behaved that way in-comparison to the old testament way.
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:43 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
@Amoh5,
The two of you are speaking as if the person Jesus is a Factual person. What seems factual to me is that the message is a better working model of how a society would be if people behaved that way in-comparison to the old testament way.

Skipping all the personal experiences of him (which won't convince anyone), don't you think it's strange beyond ordinary belief that even in this 'enlightened' age, we are still passionately discussing a man that died over 2000 years ago? No one else in history has had this kind of impact on the world. If nothing else, that alone would make me start to think.
ehBeth

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
No one else in history has had this kind of impact on the world.

Gutenberg, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs ... they've beat anything religion has come up with so far and things are just starting in tech changes.
reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 11:12 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
No one else in history has had this kind of impact on the world. If nothing else, that alone would make me start to think.

Makes me think as well
I thought there have been many that were similar. I'm not sure if many of the other religions had the type of influence that historical Christians had on the new Christians "believe in Jesus or we will kill you"
Luke 19:27
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

I wonder how many other religions offered a free cruse aboard the good ship Jesus just for believing.
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Gutenberg, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs ... they've beat anything religion has come up with so far and things are just starting in tech changes.

Wanna bet? If we had a time machine we could check it out, but my guess is that no one (other than history buffs) will be talking about those guys or remember what they did 2000 years from now. Who talks about Babbage anymore? His work was way more innovative in the history of IT than those guys.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:39 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I thought there have been many that were similar. I'm not sure if many of the other religions had the type of influence that historical Christians had on the new Christians "believe in Jesus or we will kill you"

The 'new Christians' (I assume you mean the first ones) were too busy being killed themselves to do any killing. Of the 12 apostles, only John was not executed for their beliefs. They say John got off easy being exiled to that prison island but I'm not so sure.
reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:56 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The 'new Christians' (I assume you mean the first ones) were too busy being killed themselves to do any killing. Of the 12 apostles, only John was not executed for their beliefs. They say John got off easy being exiled to that prison island but I'm not so sure.

I can only guess that there may have been some people like Jesus and John that were killed and persecuted for teaching ethics.
There are too many people in the bible who seem to have a personality disorder to give the book "bible" a credible account of history. One example would be "God himself, He would be given a cluster b diagnoses by anyone today. I will say that it is a good source to diagnose the people in the bible that many men and women look up to.
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 05:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

Luke 19:27
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Understandably, that stand alone statement really turns you off. But i think you are just reading without seriously considering the whole scenario.

If you can do that, put yourself in the speaker's position. You are the co-creator of every life on earth. If not for you, they would not even exist. A minority of them accept you but most regard you and your followers as trouble makers who make them feel uncomfortable and upset the status quo. They (your enemies) start killing your friends and openly plot to kill you (and you know they will follow through on that threat). Can you in good conscious condemn someone in that position for sentencing their enemies to death?

To add a bit more absurdity, he was talking about an event that takes place long after his enemy's death on earth. They didn't expect to be around anyway so what have they got to complain about? They will have suffered nothing other than what they expected.

reasoning logic

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 05:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Can you in good conscious condemn someone in that position for sentencing their enemies to death?

Quote:
slay them before me.

Why before me? Do I get off on watching people die?