husband google searching ex-girlfriends

PamO

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:44 am
What does the audience think about a husband who google searches his ex-girlfriends? He also googles attractative celebs such as Heather Graham. His latest search was for "Miss Texas." I have my own ideas as to why he would do this, but what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,470 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 10:55 am
All speculation
I doubt that he wants to contact his ex-girlfriends, attractive celebrities, or "Miss Texas." Maybe he is just curious about these people.

Anything we come up with--or that you come up with concerning his motives for looking these people up through a google search--will be pure speculation. But, if he was really sneaky and up to no good, he would erase his history and cover his tracks....

I think the more interesting questions are these: Why are you investigating his internet history? Why are you left to speculate? Why don't you just ask him why he is google searching for his ex-girlfriends? Is there any reason why you don't want him to know you're checking the history file?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:43 am
I have a friend--in her 60's--who is Googling ex-boy friends from elementary school on. She's had a fairly nomadic life and Google is a way of filling in the gaps in her trunciated pasts.

As for the semi-celeb Googling, this is probably his only chance to rub shoulders with the sorta-famous. Googling is not stalking.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:50 am
I have done it, and so has my husband. So what? It's fun, as long as that is as far as it goes. Don't you like to play, "whatever happened to......"?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:04 pm
I think it's kind of funny....reminds me, gotta go google someone.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:06 pm
my man even keeps in touch with most of his ex's. i know a few,as they are part of the wider circle of friends. i could let it drive me nuts, but then, what the heck, life is short. i wish i kept more in touch with mine - after all, they were all great, that's why i picked them. i looke them up every now and then and keep in touch with one who is a friend now. no biggie. it's life.
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
Weird!

But in all honesty sounds like your husband prefers the world he's living in his mind to the real one.

Sounds like he's middle aged and likes "looking at" and "fantasizing" about unobtainable women. For some reason a lot of men that age do that.

I have no idea why. Not like they have a chance with Miss Texas or anything.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:07 pm
Thank you for all of the replies. I agree with SueZ mostly...I know he is not looking to go and hook up with Miss Tx. or an ex; it just sort of irritates me because I want to be the one he google searches! He is 42 (not quite middle aged, but maybe a bit nostalgic?) ...I am 34 and just had our first baby...so maybe we need to get back to googling each other!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 07:04 pm
I've googled practically everyone I've ever known and that includes all of my exes.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 07:37 pm
Me too, eoe. Especially old boyfriends & people I once cared about. Nothing wrong with curiosity...it's just natural. It's not like I'm going to pick up the phone and call any of them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 08:04 pm
Yep, I've done it too. Just did, if slightly accidentally! (While looking for 7th Street Entry info, found out that an old flame is in a band that's doing really well, getting great reviews.) (And he looks gooood, too. Sigh.)

Doesn't mean nothin'. Didn't contact him, though I could, plausibly -- we remained good friends through 5 years ago, last time I saw him (10 year H.S. reunion.)

It's pretty standard in this day and age.

Our new next-door neighbors Googled us right after they met us. :-D Came up to my husband and said "Oh, you're famous! There were [something like 600] results for your name on Google!"
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 08:55 pm
I was just contacted by someone I had not seen in over ten years and the first thing she said to me was "I looked you up on google and you haven't published much lately". .. scary
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:26 am
Heh, now I just googled soz's husband.

It doesn't mean anything. Don't worry about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:25 am
Hee hee hee!

See, around 600! (That's what I thought, and then had to check.) Most of 'em are really him, too!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:47 pm
Shameful confessions--

I googled The First Mr. Noddy, a man of great ambition who was convinced that I was holding him back from great achievements and the aclaim of an adoring populace.

His name is not rare, but neither is it terribly common.

He did not appear in the 1st 300 Google listings.

I felt smug--and sorry for his second wife.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:52 pm
That's one of those personal boosts to keep for a rainy day, huh Noddy?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:59 pm
Think the googling up of exes and other lost friends and the googling up of female celebs are probly two different kinds of things ... different motivations <giggles>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:48 pm
I googled myself. I am in there on the first page with a ill-worded quote or two on landscape architecture, if I name my town; without naming it, I show up on page six in a link to our local county artists' listings. But.. somebody with my name apparently makes fantastic collectible porcelain dishes, and some other woman with my name has a book on Amazon. I didn't check that out, those might be the same person, a ceramicist who writes books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:50 pm
I've looked up old boyfriends, but not called or written. Haven't yet looked up other friends - well, there's something to do in the wee hours with no sleep in sight.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 02:01 pm
Googling people you have known is fun.

I googled an ex-gf. She has now a boutique in Sardinia. Haven't called her. Perhaps I won't.

I googled an old Brit friend of my late teens. He became a Frank Zappa expert, and I appear in the acknowledgements of his book. So I e-mailed him. Thus, he ended a 25 year old search.

I googled a girl I made love to near a lake eons ago (after remembering her on A2k). She's a doctor in Ferrara, and treats drug addicts.

An old ex-gf googled me, and found me. She's married and has a beautiful daughter. We exchanged e-mails for about a year.
0 Replies