Does " against their concessions" refer to "(the western imperialist powers had made concessions...?

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:51 am
Does " against their concessions" refer to "(the western imperialist powers had made concessions in order to have peace with China, but the Kuomintang still decided to attack them)"?

Context:

Anti-Imperialism[edit]
During the Nanjing Incident, the Kuomintang took on the western imperialist powers in China, launching an all-out attack against their concessions in many Chinese cities. Chinese forces stormed the consulates of the US, Britain and Japan, looting nearly every foreign property and almost assassinating the Japanese consul. Nationalist forces killed an American, two Britons, one Frenchman, an Italian, and a Japanese. Chinese snipers targeted the American consul and the Marines who were guarding him, Chinese bullets flew into Socony Hall where American citizens were hiding out. One Chinese soldier declared, "We don't want money, anyway, we want to kill."[2] The Kuomintang forces also stormed and seized millions of dollars worth of British concessions in Hankou, refusing to hand them back to Britain. Britain then decided to give them up.[3]

More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Expedition#Anti-Imperialism
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 563 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:03 pm
@oristarA,

THe "western imperialist powers" evidently had "concessions" in several cities in China. These would be to do with promoting trade, and might be buildings, offices, dwellings, warehouses and the like, which the Chinese authorities had earlier allowed western interests to take over or build.
These were what was attacked.
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:37 pm
Special economic zones. Concessions in China were ceded territories within China, governed and occupied by foreign powers, that are frequently associated with colonialism.

Most had extraterritoriality and were enclaves inside key cities that became treaty ports. Other than other minor extraterritorial regions, these concessions no longer exist. The sovereignty of the last two European territories in China, Hong Kong and Macau, although not concessions but rather colonies, were transferred to the government of the People's Republic of China in 1997 and 1999 respectively.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:45 pm
Cool.
Thank you both.
oristarA

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:46 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

THe "western imperialist powers" evidently had "concessions" in several cities in China. These would be to do with promoting trade, and might be buildings, offices, dwellings, warehouses and the like, which the Chinese authorities had earlier allowed western interests to take over or build.
These were what was attacked.

Political factors are usually hard to predict in business activities.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:10 am
@oristarA,

TYN's answer was a brilliant answer. I like it. I forgot all about Macau and Hong Kong.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:19 am
@McTag,
Quote:
TYN's answer was a brilliant answer. I like it. I forgot all about Macau and Hong Kong.

What would we do without Wikipedia?
McTag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:29 am
@Tes yeux noirs,

We all "stand on the shoulders of giants". Good stuff.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 04:01 am
Except for the first three words, my post was a copy-and-paste job from Wikipedia.
McTag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 11:29 am
@Tes yeux noirs,

Some people make up their own answers, and make a complete hash of it.
(I'm naming no names)

Good work.
0 Replies