If gays marry, then the terrorists have won!

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:22 pm
Ah yes, the sanctity of marriage, that bulwark of our fundamental moral superiority . . .

Dear Abby, Dear Abby...
Well I never thought
That me and my girlfriend
Would ever get caught
We were sittin' in the back seat
Just shootin' the breeze
With her hair up in curlers
And her pants to her knees
Signed . . .

Just Married
angie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
Redheat wrote: "I'm not sure what is more scary, their saying it or people believing it."

People believing it.

---------------

Look, I sincerely believe McGentrix has made the central point here - it is about rights, civil rights and legal rights.

The problem, however, is that civil unions as currently outlined can never provide those rights equally. All federal rights and benefits (all 1049 of them) come exclusively through civil "marriage". And even if a specific state institutes a civil "union" that includes all that state's rights, those rights will not be valid accross state lines.

Theoretically, if the federal government were to offer an amendment defining civil marriage as the union of one man and one woman, and simultaneously defining civil unions as the union of any two consenting adults carrying exactly the same legal and civil rights, then and only then would this be simply a semantic issue. In that case, of course, most gay people would not object., and in all likelihood, most people currently against "gay (civil) marriage" would, because, let's face it, those people simply do not want gay unions of any name to carry legal equivalency.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:53 pm
Linkat wrote:
Thanks Joe! Now I understand why the city of Boston is essentially shutting down for the DNC. The gay marriages have increased the threat of terrorism in Massachusetts. So with gay marriage and the DNC in a couple of weeks, Boston is going to be a very dangerous place indeed.

HAHA! That's it! Linkat, you're a genius!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:25 am
McGentrix wrote:
If the government decides that homosexual marriage is ok, they may be infringing on the rights of millions who do not believe it should be that way.

There are also millions who believe that marriage is forever and that divorces are thus evil. Does that mean we should than just abolish the right to divorce? 'Till death do us part'. Yeah, yeah Rolling Eyes
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:32 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
If the government decides that homosexual marriage is ok, they may be infringing on the rights of millions who do not believe it should be that way.

There are also millions who believe that marriage is forever and that divorces are thus evil. Does that mean we should than just abolish the right to divorce? 'Till death do us part'. Yeah, yeah Rolling Eyes

There seems to be a disconnect between "against gay marriage, because it'll infringe on the rights of millions," and "till death do us part," but fifty percent get divorced. How strongly do they "really" feel about "marrriage?" I say it's all talk and no action. Somewhat like the WMDs in Iraq; the threat is there, but where's the beef?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:41 am
It seems to be a case of 'usual' and 'unusual' instead of endangered rights of the religious people in America's society. Marriage between a man and a woman is 'usual'; a marriage between a woman and a woman or a man and a man seems to be 'unusual'. It is fear for the unknown - a fear which is clearly groundless. I can tell - I live in the Netherlands Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
Rick's quote, "Does that mean we should than just abolish the right to divorce?" Everything will be solved by abolishing "marriage." We should call em "common law unions." Wink
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:29 am
The fact that gay issues command so much attention is amazing to me, and it struck me last night when squinney and I retired.......

After 55 years you would think this to not be the case, but I am still so absolutely fascinated with my own penis and all the cool things I can do with it
that I just don't have any spare time to devote to wondering about what other people are doing with theirs........
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:09 am
Do bears have a good sexlife? :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:16 am
BPB has the potential to be either the coolest or the creepiest grandfather ever.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
Agreed Mr. Green
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:59 am
Sorry, you don't get to define "marriage."
McGentrix wrote:
A civil union is a government approved union between 2 people. A marriage is a religious ceremony performed by a religious body.

Sorry, you don't get to define "marriage." The state (the government) has the exclusive right to define "marriage" and has done so.

State government has completely preempted the field of domestic relations. State statutes do NOT define marriage as a "religious ceremony performed by a religious body."

State statutes in general define marriage as follows:

"What constitutes marriage - Spouse defined. Marriage is a personal relation arising out of a civil contract between one man and one woman to which the consent of the parties is essential. The marriage relation may be entered into, maintained, annulled, or dissolved only as provided by law. A spouse refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."

As noted, the state has completely preempted the field. Religion has nothing to do with the marriage--except people may choose to have their marriages "solemnized" through a religious ceremony--but religious solemnization is not necessary for a marriage to exist in the eyes of the LAW:

"Who may solemnize marriages. Marriages may be solemnized by all judges of courts of record; municipal judges; recorders, unless the board of county commissioners designates a different official; ordained ministers of the gospel; priests; clergy licensed by recognized denominations pursuant to LAW; and by any person authorized by the rituals and practices of any religious persuasion."

The parties involved in the personal relationship arising out of contract might believe their "marriage" is a union sanctioned by God--they might even have their "marriage" solemnized through a religious ceremony rather than by a civil servant. But, their marital relationship is one that may be entered into, maintained, annulled, or dissolved only as provided by LAW.

The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that no state shall make any LAW that deprives the people of equal protection of the laws.

There is no compelling reason or rational basis for the state to enact a law that defines marriage in such a manner as to discriminate against same-sex couples and to deny two consenting adult persons the right to enter a personal relationship arising out of contract via a marriage license issued by the state.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:14 am
cavfancier wrote:
BPB has the potential to be either the coolest or the creepiest grandfather ever.

My grandcub thinks I'm the coolest thing since ice cubes. So do my cubs' school friends. My own cubs naturally think I'm weird.

I'm really only concerned with what squinney thinks because she is the source of the many things that keep me young, flexible and content.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:34 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
It seems to be a case of 'usual' and 'unusual' instead of endangered rights of the religious people in America's society. Marriage between a man and a woman is 'usual'; a marriage between a woman and a woman or a man and a man seems to be 'unusual'. It is fear for the unknown - a fear which is clearly groundless. I can tell - I live in the Netherlands Cool

You are absolutly right!

It's so funny because nearly everyone against gay marriages says that it is "unnatural" and that God created sex to be between a man and a woman. But what about plastic surgary? How natural is that? I can see it now.....
One day God was sitting there, bored because he'd already created everything he wanted to create for the week, and said to himself, "Hey, these women do not have big enough breasts. What to do what to do....I know! I'll allow someone the knowledge to create plastic bags to stuff into her body to enhance her chest. And while I am at it, women are just too fat. I'll also make sure that he creates a long hollow stick attached to a vacuum to literally suck the fat out of her body! What a great idea! I will leave it to humans to create the perfect body! I apparently didn't do a good enough job the first time."

Why is it that people accept plastic surgery, which is as unnatural as it gets, but cannot accept same sex love?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:36 am
Did God also create homosexuality?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:44 am
I don't know. If I knew the answer to that I would be a very popular person. It is unnatural to me because I am straight but realistically no more unnatural than it is for me to wear make up.

I just hate it when people tell me that it is unnatural when we do unnatural things to our bodies every day. But you are right when you say the unknown scares people. We don't understand it and so we hate it.

I think that people need to spend less time worrying about what other people are doing and more time worrying about what they are doing about themselves.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:55 am
And just because I think it is unnatural doesn't mean that I am right. Or wrong. The thing is I don't know and I don't believe that I am one to judge anyone.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." John 8:7
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 07:30 am
Interesting choice of words. If he kept talking, we might hear about those muscle-boy magazines he keeps under his mattress. Cool

Santorum: I'm 'Fighting For Truth Not The Perversion The Media Try To Ram Down Public’s Throat'

Quote:
Does Rick Santorum have a God complex? A martyrdom complex? Could it be he is America's one true savior?

The failed and former U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania, and failed and former and likely future GOP presidential candidate met with Iowa state lawmakers on Wednesday to preach his virtues, and the preach against the rights of gay people – his all-time favorite topic.

Santorum, trying to convince them to support a potential Santorum For President campaign, trashed the governors of Indiana and Arkansas, who, he said, were powerless against the media during last week's "religious freedom" debate.

"What happened there was the media created a firestorm, and leaders didn't lead," he charged.

“I’ve been through that firestorm,” Santorum said, patting himself on the back like a war veteran. “I go back 13 years, when I was in the Senate and stood up and said, ‘If the Supreme Court decides a case this way, then all these bad things are going to start happening.’ And I said we would have same-sex marriage in this country in ten years. I was wrong: it was five years. And I was put through a national wringer like no one had been put through and I have been put through over and over and over again, because I am not going to back down from what I believe is the right course for our country.”

“I always say, whether it’s religious liberty now or the marriage issue or a whole bunch of other things, we’re losing these arguments simply because we’re not making them,” Santorum continued. “We’re not making them because we’re intimidated from them."

And then, he hinted, Armageddon.

0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 08:43 am
People like Rick Santorum with his vigorous advocacy of socially conservative views tend to be one of the GOP's most fringe politicians. His perception with respect to Gays is truly ignorant and he's appealing to his GOP base; Santorum doesn't have a prayer of ever reaching the White House as he's UN-electable to mainstream America. I've often heard it said that those who are so openly anti-Gay, Lesbian, etc, tend to harbor these same suppressed secret desires but are afraid others will ridicule them the same way life is made hard for Gays, Transexual, Intersexed, etc. Many church leaders speak openly against Gays but in practice some of these closet types indulge their passions doing the same thing they scorn others for doing.
FBM

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 09:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ah yes, the sanctity of marriage, that bulwark of our fundamental moral superiority . . .

Dear Abby, Dear Abby...
Well I never thought
That me and my girlfriend
Would ever get caught
We were sittin' in the back seat
Just shootin' the breeze
With her hair up in curlers
And her pants to her knees
Signed . . .

Just Married

Saw him in concert with Arlo Guthrie in Knoxville...

Incredible guitarist, something that's been inadequately recognized throughout his career, IMO. I saw him snap a string in the middle of a long, incredibly intricate instrumental solo. He just adjusted his fretting to compensate for the broken string. Never seen anything like it before or since.
0 Replies