If gays marry, then the terrorists have won!

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
Well actually this thread is about Rick Santorum.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:01 pm
...Who wants to define what marriage is.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:02 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

Yes it is and he is one crazy Son of a Bitch!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
... And I should not always be taken seriously.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Isn't that what this fuss is all about? The definition?

yes all about one silly little word...marriage....and of course strengthening juniors position with the christian right while diverting attention from really important and relevant issues..........
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:
...Who wants to define what marriage is.

The definition of "marriage" is irrelevant. This issue is about EQUAL rights, nothing more nothing less. It's about discriniation and a country that needs to either stand by it's principles or shut it's mouth.

Either we are all free, equal and have the same rights or we are not, if we choose to take the path of refusing a certain population rights enjoyed by everyone else, then we cease being America.

No family will be effected by Gay's exchanging vows and if people think this to be true then their belief in their love and family is pretty damn shallow.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
Redheat wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

Yes it is and he is one crazy Son of a Bitch!

Mr. Green
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:07 pm
Well, well, well….the definition of marriage, according to dictionary.com, they actually include the same-sex marriage as part of the definition. Interesting…

a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
b. The state of being married; wedlock.
c. A common-law marriage.
d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
1. A wedding.
2. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose).
3. Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
Linkat wrote:
Well, well, well….the definition of marriage, according to dictionary.com, they actually include the same-sex marriage as part of the definition. Interesting…

a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
b. The state of being married; wedlock.
c. A common-law marriage.
d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
1. A wedding.
2. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose).
3. Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

I know what the dictionary say's but again the definition is irrelevant to the larger issue at hand. Either we stand by our Democracy or we allow the Far right to dismantle it. Americans had to be pulled kicking and screaming into the abolishment of Slavery, the Woman's vote, civil rights and the allowance of interracial marriage. I'm sure we can survive this growing pain, what we may not survive is the legal discrimination being touted today.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:30 pm
It's the biggest non-issue in my political memory.

I'm still waiting for the hosemen of the apocalypse I was told would be marching down the street once they were legally married here. But thus far I've yet to see them.

Perhaps they're really really small?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
This whole thing is a load of crap. The fact that we all have to waste our breath defending what is essentially a constitutional freedom is maddening! Arrrrgggg! Seperation of church and state....simple as that!

I have to agree that anyone who feels that gay marriages will threaten the "sacred sacrament" of heterosexual marriages is nuts. I don't think that we need gay people to f*** it up. Straight people have done a damn fine job of it already. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
My guess is that city ordinance prohibited keeping horses within city limits, so they were obliged to walk.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:35 pm
My aunt is marrying her girlfriend tommorow. I'll bring a camera. If the horsemen show, I'll post pics.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:50 pm
Kay S. Hymowitz discusses this issue in this article.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:05 pm

So hey, let's just get rid of marriage all together? It seems to be spiraling out of control.

Gay's will not sabotage marriage and the family further. Gay, straight, black, white, rich, poor (get the point?) people will sabotage marriage and the family when they make stupid decisions to get married "on a whim..." hello Britney Spears and most Hollywood stars) or cheat (75-80% of all married people in this country) not to mention all the other stupid things people do.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:11 pm
Either that or open it up for everybody. I am sure that the Mormons will be happy about that! as soon as gay marriage is legalized, polygamy can't be too far behind!
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:24 pm
I see no problem with polygamy where everyone involved is happy with the arrangement.

But thanks for the slippery slope, it's fun to play on.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:25 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Either that or open it up for everybody. I am sure that the Mormons will be happy about that! as soon as gay marriage is legalized, polygamy can't be too far behind!

So? Why shouldn't consenting adults be able to marry more then one person? What do you care? Personally I don't get this outrage over polygamy, if people want to have this lifestyle and can support themselves then who's it hurting?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
I could never understand how gay marriage threatens the "institution" of marriage or destroy the family. Will some neocon explain this to me? I can be dense sometimes. Let's see, over 84 (not 90) percent of Americans are christians. About 50 percent of marriages end up in divorce. Does it mean that the 10 percent that aren't christians are getting divorced 100 percent of the time? Even then, my math doesn't come up with the right conclusion. Does the republican party use a different kind of math?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
Over 90 percent of Americans are Christians?

Christ, there's the problem...
0 Replies