Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:45 am
A few months ago I was in NYC, lower Manhattan. There's an Amish market there, and I needed something to drink. I was about to enter, when I saw a plasticized sheet in the wall with something written on it: "SEATING IS FOR AMISH CUSTOMERS ONLY" (I can show you a photo...).
Do you think this is racist? I have to say that inside they were kind with me (but I did not try to sit...).

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:53 am
@JackBlack93,
Since Amish isn't a race, it would be difficult to consider this racist.

I'm not so interested in a photo, but I would love the address of the Amish market.
jespah

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:54 am
@JackBlack93,
The Amish aren't a race. They are a subset (a sect) of a faith.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:55 am
@JackBlack93,
ah

found a photo of the Amish market in lower Manhattan

http://media.timeout.com/images/100497041/617/347/image.jpg

are you telling me all these folks are Amish?
Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:58 am
@JackBlack93,
It is not racist, as was pointed out to you, as the Amish are not a race.

Is it discriminatory?
Yes.

Is it a bad business practice?
Yes.

Offhand, it's looking doubtful. Where's the sign?
From the photo that shows 2 tables with black patrons seated. Wonder if they're Amish?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:01 am
@JackBlack93,
The initial responses are missing the point. If a store had a sign that said "seating is for Protestants only" I think many people would feel that this was a problem.

I can see both sides of this, on one hand it is discriminatory in a business open to the public. On the other hand, the Amish are a fairly vulnerable minority... I might cut them some slack. This doesn't have the same social significance as a segregated lunch counter.

I would probably respect the sign. Or I might ignore it... I don't know.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:06 am
@JackBlack93,
JackBlack93 wrote:
"SEATING IS FOR AMISH CUSTOMERS ONLY"

errr

if it's anything like restaurants here, the sign means it is only customers of the Amish market who can be seated inside the restaurant

(just thought of it because my favourite Ramen joint has a similar sign - Seating for Ajisen customers only)
JackBlack93

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:09 am
@JackBlack93,
Thanks for your answers. You are correct saying amish isn't a race indeed...
I think the market is the one of the photo you show. Maybe it's old and they put it recently?
BTW how can I upload a photo as you did? @ehBeth
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:16 am
@JackBlack93,
You have to have your photo online somewhere to transfer it here.

If you've read my later response, you've realized that the sign makes sense if you consider they are referring to customers of the Amish market - not Amish customers. It's a fairly standard form of signage. Pretty much every food court has it.
JackBlack93

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
I generated an url from onedrive but still I can't post the photo...

But your point makes me think I totally misinterpreted the signage!!Smile
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:31 am
@JackBlack93,
here is a recent discussion of how to post a pic here

http://able2know.org/topic/274831-1

n.b. since you already have a url, you can skip the first few steps

___

yeah, as I think of more restaurants here, I realize that I see that language a lot - particularly for places where people could come in with food from other stores

patios - that "location name" customers only language is posted at pretty much every patio around here. There's even a restaurant down the street that has little brass plates on the park benches they have outside (for smokers) that say X customer seating only.
JackBlack93

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:51 am
@ehBeth,
http://i.imgur.com/iBybEf2.jpg
Great! Thanks for your suggestion for the photo and your answers in general! Smile
jespah

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:54 am
@JackBlack93,
That seems like customers of the market who are being permitted seating, versus persons of the sect only.

It's of course poorly-worded signage. You should see how people leave out Oxford commas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:58 am
@JackBlack93,
yeah - that's a sign for customers of the Amish market only

it's the exact same phrasing they use at Ajisen (the ramen place I go to)

if you look at the table tops at the Amish market - they just say Amish. To their way of thinking in English, Amish is the name of the place
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:00 am
@JackBlack93,
think of it this way

if the name of the place was Bob's, and the sign said Seating is for Bob's customers only - who could sit there?
Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:10 am
@ehBeth,
that's weird no one sitting down looks amish to me - at least according to the typical clothes worn by the amish. Maybe these are those young amish that go crazy in the city.

But I agree it is not racist, closest would be religious biased maybe?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:12 am
@ehBeth,
fu
ehBeth wrote:

JackBlack93 wrote:
"SEATING IS FOR AMISH CUSTOMERS ONLY"

errr

if it's anything like restaurants here, the sign means it is only customers of the Amish market who can be seated inside the restaurant

(just thought of it because my favourite Ramen joint has a similar sign - Seating for Ajisen customers only)

funny I was just thinking the same thing - it is probably for Amish customers meaning those shopping/purchasing items there (not that you have to follow the Amish faith)-- not for stray bums taking up space.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 10:13 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
if the name of the place was Bob's, and the sign said Seating is for Bob's customers only - who could sit there?

That wouldn't make any sense at all. There aren't that many "Bobs" around. An establishment that wouldn't seat anyone but Bobs would have very much business. That is even worse than the Amish sign.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The initial responses are missing the point. If a store had a sign that said "seating is for Protestants only" I think many people would feel that this was a problem.

Since I would prefer to be at a store that limited their clientele to Protestants, I would go to the store manager and ask if I can get a one-day pass for Protestant membership? Problem solved.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:48 am
@Foofie,
I am part WASP and part Jew (but no Amish that I know of). I fit into a couple of different buckets.