Am I in danger - hazmat environmental people nearby?

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 03:24 pm
Where I park for work there is a marsh wetland type of area next to the lot. I frequently see people dressed in something that looks hazmatty with Clean harbors on their vehicles. Today they were pulling these very thick cloth ropey looking this out of the marsh and I could see it looked disgusting.

So do you think I am in danger parking and walking next to this crap? I am just reading Civil Action (pleasant school summer reading that my daughter has for high school) and all I can imagine is what is going on in this book.

And what the heck are they doing there any way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 07:53 pm
@Linkat,
Clean Harbors is a firm that mostly slops up oil leaks and discharges. Maybe a tank s[prung a leak. Itll make great garden soil in a few years
Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 09:05 pm
@farmerman,
I have seen these people throughout the past 3 years since parking here. At least I can't be worse off than the condos or apartments on across this area.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 09:19 pm
@Linkat,
I assume that these days, if you were in danger you would be evacuated.
Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 05:46 am
@maxdancona,
Right....I believe that the government is working in my best interest....right.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:06 am
@Linkat,
I get the sarcasm, Linkat, but I don't think it is appropriate. Why wouldn't you sincerely trust that the government is working in your best interest?

The government has slowly been raising your life expectancy, while giving you fantastically clean water and monitoring food for safety and making sure the things you buy won't kill you.

You can come up with a couple of cases here and there... but overall the government has done a fantastic job by any measure.

Human life expectancy used to be 40 year. Now it has about doubled. Child mortality has been cut in half. Death by faulty products or food poisonings (which used to kill thousands each year) have been cut to almost zero.

I don't know why you think the government would put you at risk and not tell you. Given the record of the government in the past 50 years, I don't think this fear is at all reasonable. Given the facts of how well the government has done, you might call such a fear "paranoia".
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:15 am
@Linkat,
Sounds like they were using something which absorbs up something else. Like a sponge. Oil and related substances can be absorbed through the pores hence hazmat gear usually used during cleanups. But if you can't smell anything, you're probably ok. If it were an airborne risk you'd have heard about it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:18 am
If you can show me a single example in the past 50 years where people in hazmat suits meant that people who weren't being evacuated were in imminent danger, then I will change my mind.

I don't think there are any examples of this.
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:38 am
@maxdancona,
The hazmat gear is worn for much the same reason dental assistants physically leave the room during an x-ray where the patient just gets a lead vest. The patient's only getting a smal amount of radiation. But the assistant is around the radiation multiple times every week so would get a vastly larger dose over time.

Same with hazmat gear. A passerby might be exposed to something harmful in larger doses, but in small casual exposure doses negligible. But because cleanup crews are around it all the time, they need the protection.
0 Replies