Was communism really that bad??

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:31 pm
Xavier, What did you think to Tito? I had the opportunity to visit his tomb in Belgrade last year.
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:57 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Xavier, What did you think to Tito? I had the opportunity to visit his tomb in Belgrade last year.

Well, he was a dictator and a bad one; He was a racist and a very selfish man. I think that all the problems that the country has now are due to his politics and his mismanagement.
I remember that when he was alive, nobody could say a word against him...
Did you like Belgrade? I did not. It's a poor and very dirty city.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:02 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Xavier, "Crimes against humanity" is a topic that, I agree, includes the US, but we're discussing communism and China (or at least I thought I was). This topic isn't about "the fall of communism," but "Was communism really that bad?" "The fall of communism" can also become a topic on it's own. Maybe, there's a middle-ground where communism and capitalism can co-exist somewhat like China of today. As the government of China gets taken over by younger men, their eventual goal might be some sort of democratic-communism as a transitional stage.

Communism cannot be democratic; Chile is doing well now.
The mention of the USA in all this is only because it is directly responsible for many things connected with communism; on the other hand, you simply cannot have a discussion about one topic and not mention something related to it. Digretion is normal; I don't think this is a dictatorial forum.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:06 pm
nimh wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.
I lived in the former Yugoslavia at the time of Tito, I lived in Romania at the time of Ceaucescu and in Chile at the time of Allende

Wow Shocked that was quite a roadtrip through life you got. We have a couple of former residents of Tito's Yugoslavia here - MyOwnUsername from Croatia is a great guy, and Relative I think is from Slovenia. But Ceaucescu's Romania, now there's a wholly different story ... were your parents diplomats or something?

Yes, my father was ambassador, I reserve mentioning from which country for obvious reasons. My spouse's father was ambassador from another country and that's how we met.
I don't speak Slovenian although I have been there, but I speak Serbo-Croatian since my father was ambassador in Belgrade at the time of Tito.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:17 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
it's true, at least in "Yugoslavian" (now Croatian, Slovenian, Bosnian, Serbo/Montenegrian and Macedonian) case - depression is much higher and larger in transition then in communism. To be honest, as far as ex Yugoslavia is concerned, we all live much worse then during communism - for example, before all people went to summer vacations on seaside resorts. Today there is enormous number of people that can't afford it (I would be unable to afford it if it wasn't for family house we already have on seaside), when I was teenager, starting to go out and stuff, parents easily could afford to give me money every single day during all summer and all weekends throughout all year - for cinema, coke, hot-dog, burger, basketball game, whatever I wanted - and we weren't rich family. Now it would be impossible for me to give that to my daugher - luckily, she is only 5 Wink

And one...well, I just have to swear...one f**king thing that can't leave my head...nobody is smiling anymore, nobody is out anymore, nobody is having fun together anymore...we were damn happy kids, we were always out, we had loads of fun, our parents were out all the time with their friends...and everybody was smiling damn it. Now people are so blue and so serious, and even kids are lame...nobody is out, they just stare at computers or playstations at their homes, they don't play street soccer, they are not sitting on benches late at night...this period really sucks.

Vidim da ste iz bivše Jugoslavije; odakle? Ja sam ziveo tamo jedno vreme, naucio sam malo jezik zato što moj otac je bio ambasador u Beogradu za vreme Tita. Dok smo ziveli tamo, dosta smo putovali; jako lepa zemlja ali sada je jako siromašna. Meni se cini da situjacija nije dobra ali i amerikaqnci su krivi zato što su bombardovali zemlju.
Vratio sam se par puta, poslednji put je bio prošle godine a stvarno sam hteo plakati. Hrvatska je jako lepa zemlja isto.
Puno pozdrava a izvinite ako moj jezik nije baš kako treba.
Xavier
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:37 pm
Hi Xavier. I'm from Slovakia. Been reading your posts on this thread. Quite a trip you had, not many people from the Eastern block would have similar experience in that time. Romania must have been the worst, I'd imagine (I think you mentioned your family lived there, too?)
0 Replies

revo

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:10 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Yes it was that bad, and worse. It wasn't hated just by the west either. We hated it too. At least those of us who were on the 'wrong side'. But your questions are too many too broad. What are you seeking? any particular aim to this or just curiosity?

just because it was something we don;t like doesnt mean its the wrong side...
and comunism is a government where everyone is equal. yet human nature cant cope with that. All humans cant just be equal. many feel the need for superiority, but the concept is a good one, modified form democracy, yet the people who used this system didnt do many good things

=-=-=

and some of you guys seem really exotic. i mean, a dad for an ammbassador, and people from all over the world here.. its really kewl
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:39 pm
revo, Welcome to a2k. The concept that all humans are equal runs into trouble from the moment that is forced into place as a government mandate. That's the reason why NCLB was a failure before they even implented any part of it. Humans are all different with different abilities, skills, interests, knowledge, education, economic background, social standing (whatever that means!), genes, and environment. Any successful system must accept the fact that everybody is different in street smarts and school smarts - and everything in between. Communism takes away the motivation to do well, because the benefits of survival are given equally to everybody whether one works or not. That's also the reason social welfare programs that gave the poor money to survive without requiring them to seek work or do productive labor was a failure; nothing was expected of them, and they complied, and their children did the same. Once they were expected to find work or lose their benefits, the whole program changed to help people improve themselves. Not magic; just simple human psychology.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:44 pm
welcome to a2k revo. all i mean by the 'wrong side' is that my parents were kicked out of the communist party and my father was often in prison. that's all.
0 Replies

revo

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:52 pm
o ok Cool

anyay, thanks for the welcomes
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:27 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Hi Xavier. I'm from Slovakia. Been reading your posts on this thread. Quite a trip you had, not many people from the Eastern block would have similar experience in that time. Romania must have been the worst, I'd imagine (I think you mentioned your family lived there, too?)

Miss Dagmar:
I lived in the countries that I mentioned because my father was a diplomat but a diplomat not from Eastern Europe. It was easy to travel in those countries but since I had diplomatic passport, I didn't have problems at all.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:39 pm
I'd appeciate it if posters would spell out the full wordings of abbreviations such as NLRB, which I immediately think of a national labor relations board. I may have read at some point about the history of the country under disussion but just not in the last half hour, and have read early pages here, also not in the last week. We are not all so up to date on all acronyms.
0 Replies

Morphling89

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:34 pm
revo wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Yes it was that bad, and worse. It wasn't hated just by the west either. We hated it too. At least those of us who were on the 'wrong side'. But your questions are too many too broad. What are you seeking? any particular aim to this or just curiosity?

just because it was something we don;t like doesnt mean its the wrong side...
and comunism is a government where everyone is equal. yet human nature cant cope with that. All humans cant just be equal. many feel the need for superiority, but the concept is a good one, modified form democracy, yet the people who used this system didnt do many good things

=-=-=

and some of you guys seem really exotic. i mean, a dad for an ammbassador, and people from all over the world here.. its really kewl

Hence the qoutation marks on 'wrong side'.
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:14 am
I don't see anything exoting in having a father who was ambassador to several countries; he is dead now.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:15 am
I emant "exotic", sorry about the mistake.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:48 am
I thought you meant "exciting." Wink
0 Replies