America Bush Style

Redheat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:23 am
Bush is building an America that would make Stalin proud.

Quote:
We weren't doing anything wrong'

Couple in anti-Bush T-shirts were arrested at president's speech

By Tara Tuckwiller
Staff Writer

A husband and wife who wore anti-Bush T-shirts to the president's Fourth of July appearance aren't going down without a fight: They will be represented by lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union as they contest the trespassing charges against them Thursday morning in Charleston Municipal Court.

Police took Nicole and Jeff Rank away in handcuffs from the event, which was billed as a presidential appearance, not a campaign rally. They were wearing T-shirts that read, "Love America, Hate Bush."

Spectators who wore pro-Bush T-shirts and Bush-Cheney campaign buttons were allowed to stay.

"We weren't doing anything wrong," said Jeff Rank. The couple, who said they had tickets just like everybody else, said they simply stood around the Capitol steps with the rest of the spectators.

"We sang the national anthem," Rank said.

The Ranks hardly fit the image of rabble-rousers. Jeff Rank, 29, has a master's degree in oceanography. Nicole Rank, 30, has degrees in biological science and marine biology. They have been married for seven years.

Nicole Rank arrived in Charleston soon after the Memorial Day floods. She was working as deputy environmental liaison officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, making sure cities and counties obeyed federal environmental laws as they repaired roads and bridges.

After police arrested the Ranks, fingerprinted them and took their mug shots, FEMA told Nicole Rank she was no longer needed in West Virginia.

"I have not been fired per se," she said. "But I was released from this job. And when they release you from a job, you no longer get paid."

The Ranks started to go home to Corpus Christi, Texas, but they only got as far as Roanoke, Va., when it occurred to them that they might not be able to contest their arrest if they weren't in Charleston on their court date. A phone call confirmed their suspicions. So they turned around.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,760 • Replies: 64
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:38 am
How does that relate to Bush?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:45 am
McGentrix wrote:
How does that relate to Bush?

Laughing So your contention is that they arrested the couple for their T-shirts but it has NOTHING to do with Bush? That the husband being fired from FEMA wasn't in retaliation.

I would also add that Bush has set up "Freedom of Speech" zones since taking office. Authorities have been instructed to impede protestors.

So until such time as Bush stands up and say's this is WRONG and tell America in a prime time press conference that the SS and police will no longer arrest people for Anti Bush signs or T-shirts, then it involves him.

Oh wait that's right the buck doesn't stop with Bush it stops over there................no over there.................nope here...............nope there. Ok anywhere BUT at Bush.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
Redheat- I can't access your source.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:53 am
So when Clinton set up free speech zones, was he also making Stalin proud?

If they were truly doing nothing, then they would not have been hasseled. It's more likely they were disobeying a directive and decided to get cute with the authorities.

They were removed and they were wearing tshirts, not they were removed because of the tshirt. We are given no indication of any other actions that may or may not have been going on.

I would like a few more details before passing judgement. If it was a private function, and they were causing a disturbance and refused to leave voluntarily, then the situation was handled properly. The same thing happened at a democratic party rally a few years ago. The result was the same, in that the stubborn fools were led away in handcuffs, ticketed and released.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:03 am
Re: America Bush Style
Redheat wrote:
Bush is building an America that would make Stalin proud.

Quote:
We weren't doing anything wrong'

Couple in anti-Bush T-shirts were arrested at president's speech

By Tara Tuckwiller
Staff Writer

A husband and wife who wore anti-Bush T-shirts to the president's Fourth of July appearance aren't going down without a fight: They will be represented by lawyers from the American Civil Liberties Union as they contest the trespassing charges against them Thursday morning in Charleston Municipal Court.

Police took Nicole and Jeff Rank away in handcuffs from the event, which was billed as a presidential appearance, not a campaign rally. They were wearing T-shirts that read, "Love America, Hate Bush."

Spectators who wore pro-Bush T-shirts and Bush-Cheney campaign buttons were allowed to stay.

"We weren't doing anything wrong," said Jeff Rank. The couple, who said they had tickets just like everybody else, said they simply stood around the Capitol steps with the rest of the spectators.

"We sang the national anthem," Rank said.

The Ranks hardly fit the image of rabble-rousers. Jeff Rank, 29, has a master's degree in oceanography. Nicole Rank, 30, has degrees in biological science and marine biology. They have been married for seven years.

Nicole Rank arrived in Charleston soon after the Memorial Day floods. She was working as deputy environmental liaison officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, making sure cities and counties obeyed federal environmental laws as they repaired roads and bridges.

After police arrested the Ranks, fingerprinted them and took their mug shots, FEMA told Nicole Rank she was no longer needed in West Virginia.

"I have not been fired per se," she said. "But I was released from this job. And when they release you from a job, you no longer get paid."

The Ranks started to go home to Corpus Christi, Texas, but they only got as far as Roanoke, Va., when it occurred to them that they might not be able to contest their arrest if they weren't in Charleston on their court date. A phone call confirmed their suspicions. So they turned around.

Source

Bush in West Virginia for Fourth
Updated: 7/4/2004 10:19:55 PM
By: Associated Press
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A couple from Texas was taken out of a speech given by President Bush in West Virginia Sunday.

Police placed Nicole and Jeffery Rank of Corpus Christi in restraints after they entered the event with a ticket and then removed their clothes to reveal anti-Bush T-shirts, according to the acting director of the Capitol police in Charleston.

He said the two were asked to go out to the designated protest area, but refused.

Bush came to West Virginia on the nation's 228th birthday to honor the country's veterans and garner support for invading Iraq.

About 6,500 people packed into the Capitol's north courtyard to hear him.

As police rushed her out, Nicole Rank shouted that they were told they couldn't be there because they were wearing anti-Bush shirts.

Police say the two were issued citations for trespassing and released.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:06 am
They should know better than to exercise their rights. Fools!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:06 am
So, they hid their shirts on the way in? Then, once inside they took their outer shirts off and then said they were being harassed?

Sounds like a couple of idiots to me.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:24 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Redheat- I can't access your source.

The problem seem to be with the site itself it was hard to access via where I orginally got it.

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/News/2004071346

Quote:
Police placed Nicole and Jeffery Rank of Corpus Christi in restraints after they entered the event with a ticket and then removed their clothes to reveal anti-Bush T-shirts, according to the acting director of the Capitol police in Charleston.

He said the two were asked to go out to the designated protest area, but refused

So why were they told to go to the "designated protest area"? Is that American? To not allow protest that is lawful and civil but require that they remove themselves to an area that defeats the purpose of the protest? BTW the Courts ruled that this was not legal recourse by the SS. Or are you saying you agree with our country setting up "areas" for protesting so the person they are there to protest doesn't have to witness their opposition? Like I said Stalin would be proud.

Quote:

Bush came to West Virginia on the nation's 228th birthday to honor the country's veterans and garner support for invading Iraq.

About 6,500 people packed into the Capitol's north courtyard to hear him.

As police rushed her out, Nicole Rank shouted that they were told they couldn't be there because they were wearing anti-Bush shirts.

Police say the two were issued citations for trespassing and released.

Why does it matter why he was there? It was a Presidential visit that was paid for by the tax payers, so what would they have been cited for? They had tickets, or are you again inferring that Americans have NO right to protest legally and civially at any event where Bush is speaking?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
If they were truly doing nothing, then they would not have been hasseled. It's more likely they were disobeying a directive and decided to get cute with the authorities.
Quote:

riiiightttt...what color is the sky in your world?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:49 am
McGentrix wrote:
So, they hid their shirts on the way in? Then, once inside they took their outer shirts off and then said they were being harassed?

Sounds like a couple of idiots to me.

someone should email them and give them a stern warning to knock off their BS, that'll show those spineless wimps. Laughing Laughing Laughing

they sound to me like people who refused to be bullied out of an area they had a perfect right to be in....people who refused to negotiate their rights and the right thing.....they sound like brave patriots....if only they'd been in Iraq protesting a Saddam rally that's what you guys would be calling them......brave freedom fighters.....

Arrested for wardrobe crimes against the state......do you hear that sound in the distance? It's the sound of the rest of the free civilized world chuckling about what ass holes we've turned out to be around here.....

Was there a stated dress code on their tickets or on the publicity material or on the news for this appearance?
0 Replies

Sagamore

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:52 am
It is a continuing source of amusement to watch the righties twist and turn their thinking to conform with the outrageous behavior of the Bush administration. I am no longer shocked by what the administration does. But, how it can be defended is amazing.

The first amendment allows us to peaceably assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Yet, the right is okay with doing away with that if it makes Bush look bad. The simple fact is that in instances such as this one, the right approves of the suspension of the first amendment, a wholly un-American idea, in the interest of preserving the myth of Bush. Can they get any more repellent? I don't see how.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:17 am
I find it equally amusing how short the lefties memories are. Clinton had the same zones set up, yet you seem to be able to forget that little aspect.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:22 am
LOL, liberals love to protect the stupid from the results of their own actions.

And this couple was pretty damn stupid. Especially to force the issue once they were asked to either leave or remove the T-shirts.
0 Replies

Springgrl

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
So it is ok to do something if your opponents also do it?

Say Clinton did have these no first amendment zones set up. It was wrong then and it is wrong now. Also I don't recall anyone getting arrested as a result of violating one of these zones during Clinton's run.
0 Replies

Sagamore

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:30 am
Got a link to the clinton use of first amendment zones? I don't recall that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
Sagamore,

I agree with you.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
McGentrix wrote:
I find it equally amusing how short the lefties memories are. Clinton had the same zones set up, yet you seem to be able to forget that little aspect.

Have anything other then your fertile imagination to support that claim.

When was the last time or more to the fact when have you EVER witnessed Bush going into a crowd that wasn't all ready weeded out to contain no one other then Bush supporters?

As I recall Clinton was egged once, he laughed and commented on the fact that it was free speech. If a freaking T-shirt pisses them off can you imagine if Bush would have been egged? They would have disappeared as enemy combatants.

It's always a base of amusment for me to watch the "patriotic" righties defend unamerican acts. No wonder their always talking such nonsense you would be a little light headed too if your head was forver implanted into the ass of Bush. Lack of oxgen you know.
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
The first amendment is not an absolute right.

But more to the point, these idiots were asked to leave, they still could have their first amendment rights, and wear the Tshirts elsewhere, they just were told they couldn't be disruptive, and their aim was clearly to be disruptive.

They were asked to leave, and they refused, so they were guilty of trespass.

It is funny how the libs have no problem keeping abortion protesters away from abortion clinics, isn't that a free speech issue as well?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:05 am
You lefties will always find something to be outraged about. It's this today, it will be somehing else tomorrow. I will continue to watch and laugh.
0 Replies