0
   

How does the Bible show that the dead are conscious of nothing?

 
 
Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 09:04 am
How does the Bible reveal that when a person dies they cease to exist and are conscious of nothing at all? For reference see Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10. Also, how does Ezekiel 18:4, 20 show that the soul is not immortal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,967 • Replies: 127
No top replies

 
TheTruthIsHere
 
  -1  
Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 06:53 am
@anthony1312002,
The Bible, does not reveal any facts of your statement. The only way to answer your question about when a person dies, is in fact dying...then finding out OR by life experiences. For example, when I was younger, I've seen a real "ghost". It looked like a old woman from the 1800s with buckle shoes and a white dress. Her expression was unlike anything I have ever seen, as if she was surprised that I could see her. Now, you would have to ask yourself: Was that a "spirit of a dead person?, Was that a demonic spirit toying with me? OR was it a fragment of my imagination. You decide. No answer about death is given in this life, only the after life.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 06:56 pm
@TheTruthIsHere,
TheTruthIsHere wrote:
The Bible, does not reveal any facts of your statement.
You didn't look them up, right?
Just guessing?
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 03:40 am
@TheTruthIsHere,
TheTruthIsHere wrote:

The Bible, does not reveal any facts


Fixed.
0 Replies
 
The Anointed
 
  -3  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 03:15 am
@anthony1312002,
From the book of Sirach, which is to be found in the Apocrypha of the Old Testament, coupled together with the book of Job, a number of the Psalms, Parables, Ecclesiastes, and the Wisdom of Solomon, all belong to the Hogmah or Wisdom Literature of the Hebrews, ‘Mashal’ means Similitude, parable, or proverb.----- In the book of Sirach, R, H, Charles translation chapter 47 verse 17, it is written concerning Solomon, “By thy songs, parables, dark speeches, and SATIRES, thou didst cause astonishment to the peoples etc.”

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die. I envy those who are dead and gone; they are better off than those who are still alive. But better off than either, are those who have never been born etc.

A man may have a hundred children and live a long time, but no matter how long he lives, if he does not get his share of happiness and does not receive a descent burial, then I say that a baby born dead is better off.
Man and animal receive the same ultimate reward, total oblivion, from the dust they came and to the dust they shall return. A wise man is no better off than a fool, the reward for doing good is the same as that for doing evil, so don’t be too good or too wise, Why kill yourself?

We are all going to our final resting place, and although life is useless, the conclusion of the matter is, if you live a religious life you may at least experience some peace in the short span of consciousness that has been allocated to you in this useless life. So go ahead and eat, drink and be merry, drink your wine and be cheerful. It’s all right with God. Enjoy your life with the woman you love, as long as you live the useless life that God has given you in this world. Enjoy every useless day of it, because that is all that you’ll get for all your troubles.

Never again will you take part in anything that happens in the world, because there will be no action, no thought, no knowledge, no wisdom in the world of the dead to where the righteous, the wicked, the wise and the fools, animal and man, are all going. For the living know that they are going to die, but the dead know nothing.

Solomon wrote only the four books and Solomon’s songs are found in his book, ‘SONG OF SONGS,’ his parables are found in his book of ‘PROVERBS’, his dark speeches are in the ‘WISDOM OF SOLOMON’ and who can read the negative and even depressing words from the book of ‘Ecclesiastes without realizing that here is the ‘SATRICAL’ work of Solomon, aimed at those people of the godless religion, who believed in neither life after death, or the resurrection from the dead.

Isaiah 57: 1-2; Good people die, and no one understands or even cares. But when they die, no calamity can hurt them. Those who live good lives find peace and rest in death. Which suggests that those who lead wicked lives find no rest in death, as the await the day of the great judgement.

1 Samuel 28: 15, reveals that Samuel spoke to Saul from the grave, and the prophet said in Sirach 46: 20; Moreover, after he died he was inquired of and he declared unto the King his way, and he lifted his voice from the grave to blot out iniquity by prophecy.

1 Samuel 28: 15-19; Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me? Why did you make me come back?”

Saul answered, “I am in great trouble! The Philistines are at war with me, and God has abandoned me. He doesn't answer me anymore, either by prophets or by dreams. And so I have called you, for you to tell me what I must do.”

Samuel said, “Why do you call me when the LORD has abandoned you and become your enemy? The LORD has done to you what he told you through me: he has taken the kingdom away from you and given it to David instead.

You disobeyed the LORD's command and did not completely destroy the Amalekites and all they had. That is why the LORD is doing this to you now.

He will hand you and Israel over to the Philistines. Tomorrow you and your sons will join me, and the LORD will also hand the army of Israel over to the Philistines.”
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 03:51 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:


From the book of Sirach, which is to be found in the Apocrypha of the Old Testament, coupled together with the book of Job, a number of the Psalms, Parables, Ecclesiastes, and the Wisdom of Solomon, all belong to the Hogmah or Wisdom Literature of the Hebrews, ‘Mashal’ means Similitude, parable, or proverb.----- In the book of Sirach, R, H, Charles translation chapter 47 verse 17, it is written concerning Solomon, “By thy songs, parables, dark speeches, and SATIRES, thou didst cause astonishment to the peoples etc.”

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die. I envy those who are dead and gone; they are better off than those who are still alive. But better off than either, are those who have never been born etc.

A man may have a hundred children and live a long time, but no matter how long he lives, if he does not get his share of happiness and does not receive a descent burial, then I say that a baby born dead is better off.
Man and animal receive the same ultimate reward, total oblivion, from the dust they came and to the dust they shall return. A wise man is no better off than a fool, the reward for doing good is the same as that for doing evil, so don’t be too good or too wise, Why kill yourself?

We are all going to our final resting place, and although life is useless, the conclusion of the matter is, if you live a religious life you may at least experience some peace in the short span of consciousness that has been allocated to you in this useless life. So go ahead and eat, drink and be merry, drink your wine and be cheerful. It’s all right with God. Enjoy your life with the woman you love, as long as you live the useless life that God has given you in this world. Enjoy every useless day of it, because that is all that you’ll get for all your troubles.

Never again will you take part in anything that happens in the world, because there will be no action, no thought, no knowledge, no wisdom in the world of the dead to where the righteous, the wicked, the wise and the fools, animal and man, are all going. For the living know that they are going to die, but the dead know nothing.

Solomon wrote only the four books and Solomon’s songs are found in his book, ‘SONG OF SONGS,’ his parables are found in his book of ‘PROVERBS’, his dark speeches are in the ‘WISDOM OF SOLOMON’ and who can read the negative and even depressing words from the book of ‘Ecclesiastes without realizing that here is the ‘SATRICAL’ work of Solomon, aimed at those people of the godless religion, who believed in neither life after death, or the resurrection from the dead.

Isaiah 57: 1-2; Good people die, and no one understands or even cares. But when they die, no calamity can hurt them. Those who live good lives find peace and rest in death. Which suggests that those who lead wicked lives find no rest in death, as the await the day of the great judgement.

1 Samuel 28: 15, reveals that Samuel spoke to Saul from the grave, and the prophet said in Sirach 46: 20; Moreover, after he died he was inquired of and he declared unto the King his way, and he lifted his voice from the grave to blot out iniquity by prophecy.

1 Samuel 28: 15-19; Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me? Why did you make me come back?”

Saul answered, “I am in great trouble! The Philistines are at war with me, and God has abandoned me. He doesn't answer me anymore, either by prophets or by dreams. And so I have called you, for you to tell me what I must do.”

Samuel said, “Why do you call me when the LORD has abandoned you and become your enemy? The LORD has done to you what he told you through me: he has taken the kingdom away from you and given it to David instead.

You disobeyed the LORD's command and did not completely destroy the Amalekites and all they had. That is why the LORD is doing this to you now.

He will hand you and Israel over to the Philistines. Tomorrow you and your sons will join me, and the LORD will also hand the army of Israel over to the Philistines.”



Hey, Phony.

So you claim you have proved that a GOD must exist.

You haven't, of course, but even if just letting that be a given...

...I ask again: How do you get from "There has to be a GOD" to that pathetic creature in the scripture you quote so often?"

Hum?

C'mon, Phony...at least give it a try.

We can all enjoy a laugh about your attempt together.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 03:54 am
TO EVERYONE READING HERE:

When this guy comes up against a question he cannot answer...he dodges it.

He just pretends the question does not exist...and then spews more of that "scripture" bullshit.
The Anointed
 
  -2  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Oh, how anxious are you getting, You, who claim to be agnostic, when everyone knows that you are an out and out atheist, terrified by the fact that your hopeless belief is being torn to pieces, and you have no weapon but your insults, which have no effect whatsoever.

You poor whimp, no need appealing to others, apart from your few biblical, ignorant atheist mates.

Anyway, you enjoy what is left of your hopeless life, for the reward that the mind receives, is that which the mind believes.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 07:04 am
I often wonder how many of these long-winded spiels by the anointed people actually read all the way through, especially once the potential reader recognizes the propensity for utter bullshit?
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 11:28 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Oh, how anxious are you getting, You, who claim to be agnostic, when everyone knows that you are an out and out atheist, terrified by the fact that your hopeless belief is being torn to pieces, and you have no weapon but your insults, which have no effect whatsoever.

You poor whimp, no need appealing to others, apart from your few biblical, ignorant atheist mates.

Anyway, you enjoy what is left of your hopeless life, for the reward that the mind receives, is that which the mind believes.


Still dodging.

Hey...laughing is good...and you offer up laughs with each post.

Thanks.

Love ya.
0 Replies
 
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 11:31 am
Itsy bitsy spider🕷crawling up the wall...
The Anointed
 
  -1  
Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2021 01:32 am
@edgarblythe,
I realise that the biblical ignoramus's on this forum have such a short attention span, that's why they have never bothered to read the scriptures, which in their total ignorance they attack that of which they have absolutely no understanding.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2021 03:41 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

I realise that the biblical ignoramus's on this forum have such a short attention span, that's why they have never bothered to read the scriptures, which in their total ignorance they attack that of which they have absolutely no understanding.


Yeah, in your mind, only you are not ignorant.

Here is my bibliography of "the scriptures" I use for my arguments.

Let's see yours,

St. Joseph Edition of The New American Bible; Catholic book Publishing, NY; 1968 (Catholic)

The New American Bible; Thomas Nelson Inc, Nashville; 1971 (Catholic)

The Holy Bible King James Version; Thomas Nelson, Nashville: 1984 (Protestant)

The Holy Bible New International Version; Zondervan Bible Pub. Grand Rapids; 1978 (Non-demoninational)

The Scofield Reference Holy Bible (King James Version); Oxford Univ. Press; NY; 1909 (Protestant)

The Holy Scriptures Masoretic Text; Jewish Publ Society; Philadelphia: 1955 (Jewish)

The Holy Bible, St.Joseph Textbook Edition, Confraternity Version; Catholic book Publ: NY; 1963; (Catholic)

The Holy Bible Revised Berkeley Version; The Gideons Intrl; 1984; (Non-denominational Protestant)

The New American Catholic Edition of The Holy Bible; Benziger Bros, Boston; 1950 (Catholic)

The Old Testament; Guild Press NY; 1965 (Catholic)

The Living Bible; Holman Illustrated Edition: A.J. Holman Co; Philadelphia; 1973 (Protestant)

The Holy Bible; King James Version; The World Publ Co: Cleveland; (no date); (Protestant)

The Old Testament; Hebrew Publishing Co: NY; 1916 (English & Hebrew) (Jewish)

**** Also I use

The Common Catechism of the Christian Faith: Seabury Press;NY 1975 (Protestant)

Catechism of the Catholic Church: Libreria Editrice Vaticana; Urbi et Orbi Comm; 1994 (Catholic)

The New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism: Catholic Book Publish; NY; 1962 (Catholic)

*****Plus, I have (estimated) 40 - 50 other books dealing with the Bible, religion, and philosophy that I use when posting.


LET'S SEE YOURS!
The Anointed
 
  -1  
Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2021 04:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
And you. 'an agnostic', believe all those, do you? I await your answer to the question given.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2021 06:02 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

And you. 'an agnostic', believe all those, do you? I await your answer to the question given.


I do not do "believing."

If I guess, I am man enough to acknowledge I am making a guess. I do not disguise the guess by calling it a "belief."

I do guess about some things; I do estimate some things; I do suppose some things...but when I do, I say that I "guess" "estimate" or "suppose" those things.

I DO NOT DO "BELIEVING."

So, if you are asking what I guess, estimate or suppose about those "scripture" things...here is what I have written dozens of times in this forum:

While I do not have enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess about the existence of gods...I certainly have enough upon which to make a guess about the Bible. Here it is:

My guess, for what it is worth, is that a very self-serving history (of sorts) of the early Hebrew people...a relatively unsophisticated, unknowledgeable, superstitious people who had many enemies in the areas where they lived. Their enemies worshiped barbarous, vengeful, wrathful, unforgiving, demanding, murderous, petty gods. And to protect themselves from those gods, they invented an especially barbarous, vengeful, wrathful, unforgiving, demanding, murderous, petty god...and worshiped it. The story seems to be a necessary mythology. The mythology served a needed purpose at that time and I can easily understand why the ancient Hebrews felt about it the way they did.

The fact that modern theists feel the way they do about it...is disappointing and disheartening.

The Anointed
 
  -1  
Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2021 04:51 pm
@Ragman,
If you were one, who did not do 'BELIEVING'. Would you use a mess of quotes from others that you don't believe, to support your non- beliefs? There are some idiots who do, don't you know?
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 03:01 am
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

If you were one, who did not do 'BELIEVING'. Would you use a mess of quotes from others that you don't believe, to support your non- beliefs? There are some idiots who do, don't you know?


Oh, please. Stop trying to pretend you are not paying close attention to everything I write. As you read these words, you realize you are a liar.

Be an adult. Address me when you have something to say to me. And YES...I do not do "believing." And I often use quotes from people I do not "believe." I use quotes from you, for instance, and I do not "believe" what you write...mostly because it is nonsense.

Grow a brain.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 03:54 am
He’s been barred from one website already, I can’t see him lasting much longer.
The Anointed
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 04:01 am
@izzythepush,
Only one of my many, many posts has ever been closed, and that was because of your foul mouthed insults, no other reason mate.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 04:06 am
@The Anointed,
You still don’t understand ignore.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Bible Trivia Game - Discussion by ascribbler
A Scriptural Discussion of the Trinity - Question by TruthMatters
Who Is Jesus Christ? - Discussion by anthony1312002
How to know the changes in the Holy Bible - Question by peacecrusader888
The bible - Question by Wild one
700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Is The Bible Just a Good Book? - Question by anthony1312002
 
  1. Forums
  2. » How does the Bible show that the dead are conscious of nothing?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/20/2021 at 08:17:23