The great bible book club (a rant/discussion)

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:12 am
I find too often when discussing the bible, unlike most books, that an interesting proportion of people have a markedly strong opinion on it who a) have not read it, b) do not understand it, or c) have no interest in reading or understanding it.

Why research the book when Google is full of quotes that support your agenda, right?

/frustrate

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 08:23 am
@Smileyrius,
I studied the Bible pretty intently over a period of several years. This included daily reading as well as classes from at least two perspectives. Does that count?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 08:27 am
@Smileyrius,
On of the things that never ceases to amaze me is that the more people say they believe in the Bible, the less they follow what is actually written in it.

That anyone who claims to follow the Bible would support Trump shows how ridiculous modern Christianity has become.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 09:59 am
@Smileyrius,
Well of course, there is the one, unitary and immutable understanding of that collection of books redacted over the course of centuries and canonized-- more or less--a couple of millennia, or so, ago.

Oh, and the JW's own it.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 07:34 am
@maxdancona,
Please don't get me wrong Max, We have some great commentators here on A2K ,You and Infra for instance are often well versed among others, but there is a wider issue with those that have much to say about something they have both an ignorance and disregard for I have seen the trait in Theists as well as those who do not associate themselves with a theistic belief.

If I walked onto a science forum and made a claim about whales blowholes and how it is impossible for evolution to have been the cause of the migration of the hole, I am no scientist, so how could I claim authority over those who work in the field?
I just have some information I once read on the interwebs once, I have no knowledge of whether it is true or not, therefore I won't comment, I might study it, but it doesn't interest me to do so. My point would be of little value to anyone but myself and even that is questionable.
That is why it frustrates me, I rarely respond these days, purely because it is pointless to do so.

Quote:
On of the things that never ceases to amaze me is that the more people say they believe in the Bible, the less they follow what is actually written in it.

Very often the case, people very often embrace the emotionally uplifting side of a religion, while overlooking any requirements therein that might not suit them
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 10:13 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That anyone who claims to follow the Bible would support Trump shows how ridiculous modern Christianity has become.

Hillary and Obama got 2000 US troops killed in the pointless Afgh war. Don didn't..Smile
Hill/Ob gave Iran permission to build nuke reactors. Don didn't..Smile
Hill/Ob thinks muslims don't pose a threat to the homeland. Don does.Smile
Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:48 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The invasion of Afghanistan (learn to write that name) took place in October, 2001, more than seven years before Mr. Obama was elected as president. In fact, Mr. Obama had not yet even been elected to the Untied States Senate at that point. Mrs. Clinton was a Senator from the state of New York at that time, and exercised no war powers.

Iran asked for no one's permission or approval to launch their nuclear development program.

There are over three million Muslims living in the United States. Not only have they not posed a threat to the nation's security, thousands have served honorably in the American armed forces, Muslims have served in every war in American history (with the possible exception of the war with Mexico) since the Revolutionary War.

I certainly hope that people here realize what an idiotic set of claims these are.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:07 am
@Setanta,
Oh. He's back.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:08 am
@Setanta,
OH ****, is that tic-tac brained asswipe back again?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:24 am
Yeah, he was here already under a different screen name, and I guess he figured out that they weren't going to ban him just for showing up. He was easy to spot under the "fake" screen name as it was. I would call him an idiot, but that would be an unwarranted insult to idiots everywhere.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:31 am
@Setanta,
what name was he sporting during the last year??

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:39 am
High something, I don't remember now. He used it until recently, when, at some point, it appears that the nickel dropped and he realized that he wouldn't be banned just for showing up again. This ain't Tom Swift we're talking about here.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:44 am
@Setanta,
He is kind of a cartoon character though.
Oh well, the cage is big enough for all species.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 01:52 am
I think I get it. And I apologise for posting a rant, I usually prefer to be more positive.

People are naturally inclined to reinforce what they have already come to believe, the believers look to resolve apparent conflict with what they believe, while there is little requirement for someone who has no vested interest to look past face value.It is not just religion, but also politics, sport, parenting and many other facets of life where opinion is so divided. Often our minds are made up by the info we ingest via the media we use.

So yes, an apology is due, I put it down to having a newborn in the house, it is turning me into such a cranky pants.
roger

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 02:03 am
@Smileyrius,
Put a box over his head.
0 Replies

Candlelight8

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 02:29 am
@Smileyrius,
Your post is no rant. It is a comment on the truth. I can tell you that I have read the kjv bible twice but realized shortly thereafter that I could spend my life studying it and not get the answers I seek or fully understand it because there are so many unanswered questions. Recently, I was thinking about an event in the bible and thought I had a good understanding of it but I went back to the source and realized that my brain had mixed up different events and thus altered the meaning. It knocked me for a loop. Realize that the kjv is not the original text and I don't speak or read Hebrew, Greek and Chaldean so a copy of the Masoretic text would not help me. This post of yours and the responses I see below it including your apology for daring to have an opinion have really disturbed me. Please don't let a few atheists with a hatred for God change the way you perceive the world. One thing we know for certain, mankind is terribly flawed. Candlelight8
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 03:02 am
I voted your post up, because I'm sick of the down-vote nastiness. However, I would like to point out that it is unreasonable to assert that atheists "hate god," because that would mean that they hate what they don't believe in.
Candlelight8

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 06:14 am
@Setanta,
Atheists too, have their religion. That was stated that way intentionally.
Candlelight8
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 06:17 am
@Candlelight8,
Horse apples. That is just an assertion made by believers because they can't abide letting atheists free from the restrictions they live under.
Candlelight8

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 07:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Are you being horribly oppressed? I must know of these restrictions of which you speak? What new freedoms do you want? You presume too much of me friend. You do not know what I believe. You don't have to be a Christian to "Put a little love in your heart". I would much rather there were a God than nothing at all. Candlelight8
0 Replies