The Most Boring Movies You've Ever Seen

Lightwizard

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:02 pm
Internationally, "Alexander" is not doing badly -- see the box office thread.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:36 pm
Haven't seen Alexander yet, but friends who have damn it with faint praise, if you know what I mean.

Can't understand how anyone could dislike or be bored by Dr. Strangelove. It's on the list of my Top 10 as possibly the best dark comedy ever made. (My Top 10 list does change on a fairly regular basis, but this week it has Citizen Kane on it, too. It's been there for a while. Brilliant film, Orson Well's best, in my opinion.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:56 pm
I'm not sure I love "Citizen Kane" for what it is, the consumate fictional biopic, or "Touch of Evil" for its elemental examination of the criminal mind. It's the B movie that's an A movie. That opening tracking shot (along the streets of Venice, Ca, not Mexico) is as masterful as any De Mille crowd scene. Maybe that's because Welles is subtle -- Kane has scenes that almost appear innocent on the surface like the infamous "office party," but the depth of what he is revealing about human character is bone chilling. The opening scene of Kane will always stick in my mind just like the final drop of the glass "snow ball" with the miniature sled. Rosebud is the loss of childhood innocence that we all endure. How could anything that demands one to think be boring?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:38 am
It's an amazing pic, Wizard. Every time I see it, I come across something that I had missed on previous viewings -- a particular camera angle on a scene, a piece of scenery that's intentionally out of place and has obvious symbolic meaning, etc. etc. Wells was a craftsman who, like Hitchcock, took infinite pains with detail.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:18 am
The use of deep focus is amazing and reveals things in the particular scene that make the film even more meaningful. I, for one, believe it is entertaining to have to think when appreciating this film or any of its kind. Of course, "2001" may seem prosaic now because of all the popular documentaries on PBS and Discovery. Speaking of thinking about what is going on in a scene, I think I'll put on "Woman in the Dunes" sometime this week. Not sure whether Mom will appreciate it but I'll ask her if she wants to watch it. It may be too claustrophobic.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:01 pm
Flyboy said, "I do not need other peoples reactions to reenforce my own be it with joy or sorrow."

That is the most misanthropic statement I've heard in quite a while. Why bother to get the opinions of the people on the web? Surely, you've experienced laughing harder at a comedy because you were in an audience. And, perhaps you've been very moved by the sounds of held back tears.

You did say ." . . other peoples reactions to REINFORCE
my own." It would be nice if you elaborated on this,

Wasn't the purpose of the inventiion of theatre to bring the populace together? To share and enjoy tragedies and comedies?

theatron - a seeing place
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
Same goes for viewing movies at home. I always get more enjoyment from the reaction of the others in the room even if it's only one person. Of course, if one loves the movie and one hates it, such is life.
0 Replies

MC Cheez

Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:19 am
'Comicbook Heroes'
It makes no sense, the plot is non-existant and people kill each other for comics (not even gruesomely(I'm pretty sure that it spelt wrong))
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:54 pm
Hello Fellow Movie-Buffs! I've enjoyed scanning through the posts and thought I'd offer my own "take" here:

"The English Patient" has to be the all-time yawner "Best Picture" Oscar winner of all time.

As for general categories, virtually any movie with Jim Carrey (although I understand some of his more recent roles have been better) & Adam Sandler usually are gonna rate high on my "Borometer".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:05 pm
Great to meet you, AllanSwann. You carry (nearly) the name of one of my favourite film characters, in one of my favourite films.

http://www.io.com/~pmj/faveyear.jpg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:56 pm
Mr. Cheez, there's nothing wrong with your spelling. Welcome to you and AllanSwann. As for The English Patient, on another thread someone (I believe it was Phoenix) opined the the film is "a woman's movie". not expected to be understood and enjoyed by men. (Having read the reviews, I had kind of surmised that and, hence, have never seen the flick.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
It's not a film I'd want to return to but I don't see it as a woman's film other than it's about a doomed romance. It is difficult to follow and worked much better for me in the theater better than on home video. The cinematography is stupendous.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Thu 16 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Great to meet you, AllanSwann. You carry (nearly) the name of one of my favourite film characters, in one of my favourite films.

http://www.io.com/~pmj/faveyear.jpg

My Screen Name is absolutely from one of my all-time favorite movies, as well, Beth. Coincidentally, I just watched it again this morning on one of the movie channels. I still believe Peter O'Toole shouldda won (finally) an Oscar for his graceful, witty performance as the screen idol who appears on a Sid Caesur-like 50s TV comedy skit program.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:31 pm
"The Dissapearance" TV movie. Need I say more?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:35 pm
I've forgotten all the boring movies I have seen, but must admit that I have also forgotten some classics. Wink
0 Replies

jhnthmn

Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
Most boring recently was "21 Grams" It was bad as a story and edited completely crazy. Sean Penn at his worse.
0 Replies

NickFun

Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:50 pm
Leoanard Part 6 with Bill Cosby. Of of the worst fims ever made. Exquisitly bad!
0 Replies

deezee

Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:31 am
interiors
woody allen trying to be bergman, BAD IDEA.

the accidental tourist
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:54 am
I loved 21 grams. It was done like a Tarrentino movie where a normal script is cut into little pieces and then glued together randomly and the director has to make something of it. Maybe you didnt like that gimmick

I thought it much better done than Memento because in memento you had to have big chunks of previous scenes fed back to you.

WORST all time movie---ANACONDA (Im a sucker for anything with huge out of control animals asserting their dominance)

That crocodile movie where the old lady fed cows to this giant crocodile was also bad but it had some funny parts. Betty WHite, that was the ole lady, just popped in the old meat computer
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:43 pm
I saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" in a movie theater when it first came out. I was surprised at how unfunny it was. The theater I saw it in was crowded with college students. Some people laughed at the opening credits. After that, nobody laughed (I stayed to the very end of the film). After the first hour, someone in the audience yelled out "This isn't funny!"
0 Replies