The Most Boring Movies You've Ever Seen

Greedo

Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:09 pm
Have to be 'My Stepmother is an Alien' for mine with the most insipid lead duo of Dan Akroyd and Kim Basinger. I saw it at the cinema as my girlfriend of the time was working as an usher and could smuggle me in whenever a new film came out. I only lasted half way.

Other nominations would be JFK, Air Force One, anything in which Sean Connery plays the lead other than his Bond films, and most recently The Barbarian Invasion.

Sorry to disagree with you Stillwater but Jacob's Ladder is one of my all time favourites!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:17 pm
A title like "My Stepmother is an Alien" would certainly keep me from buying a ticket let alone getting in for free. In fact, it is a film I've avoided to this day.

"JFK" is worth one viewing but I've never found it compelling enough to plow through this fantasy again (I would always seem to tune in midway on this movie on cable and it would catch my attention if it was one of the better scenes and then change the channel as it descended into silliness).

Harrison Ford had already become too long in the tooth for a political action thriller hero but it was an amusing President in peril flick. If it had been Bush, perhaps he could have pounded the villian with his bag full of pretzels. They could be deadly.

You're right to an extent that Connery hasn't done much to prove he can do anything effectively except Bond. I could never tell if it was because he's just not a great actor or he just simply picked the wrong roles. "The Hunt for Red October" was one of the few exceptions.

"Jacob's Ladder" is nightmarish allegory and I've never been convinced that it worked. Visually a stunner, however.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:16 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
"The Matrix" is a date[d] sci-fi concept of machines covertly controlling the world.

If they controlled Hollywood, we might see fewer of these turkeys.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:24 pm
"Terminator" is basically the same concept without the metaphysical contrived concept of the "chosen one." That would be from "Dune." I still enjoyed the original film for it's inventive CGI but the characters are nearly all just movable mannequins.
0 Replies

DERAIL MAN

Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:46 am
I consider boring all movies that have to do with love and marrige of a couple that I don't give a f&^k about.. Rolling Eyes

I am a very lovable guy but..do I care about how other people love each other and the things they do? No... Everybody is different and carry there life they way they want to.

Now...If you bring me a movie about Marilyn Manson's love life, I would see it... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cannistershot

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:38 pm
Open Range. I went to sleep twice.
0 Replies

Seed

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:45 pm
titantic... i laughed at parts that others cired, and fell asleep twice... im sorry.. just way to long and boring for me
0 Replies

quicksand

Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:08 am
CALIGULA, after all the hype, turned out to be t stinking bore! I've seen better, and more erotic movies, on airplanes!
0 Replies

Huai Huai Shan

Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:37 pm
Seed wrote:
titantic... i laughed at parts that others cired, and fell asleep twice... im sorry.. just way to long and boring for me

Titanic is really a boring film. But still there are a lot of people who love it. Maybe it is good at making people cry.
0 Replies

benconservato

Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:34 am
ohhh... one not mentioned Caro Diario - maybe because I wasn't a completely happy soul at the time, but I kept falling asleep and waking to the guy riding his damn motorbike...
Anything with Tom Hanks, Kevin Costner. Or anything Naked Gun - one of the only movies I have walked out of because of thinking I was wasting my life sitting there.
Loved Lost in Translation - oh well.

Saw something recently when I was too sick to complain, the man got some hideous film with Beyoncé in it and some other actor, which was just like one, big UGLY MTV video. Hideous.

I can understand you not liking Walkabout Fbaezer - but... too political...

I will say though I thoughrally enjoyed Orlando as a film; because it was like a little conspiracy, if you hadn't read the book, it would have been lost on you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
Yentl.
2001 A Space Odyssey.
Dr. Strangelove.
Citizen Kane.

The last three are very good, but boring. Yentl was just painful.
0 Replies

benconservato

Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:14 am
oh yes... Dr Strangelove is a candidate, but I disliked that other movie (disliked is perhaps not the same as boring) that Peter Sellers made, I believe his last it had Chance or something in the title. It was just too sad. I was so angry with it for some reason.
0 Replies

laqo

Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:12 pm
GHANDI I paid money to nap in uncomfortable seats!
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:06 am
"Lord of the Rings" and some other movie about "Hobbits" or something like that. I had and have zero interest in the subject matter. I could not stay awake. I was afraid that I would offend one of our group, a real diehard and devotee of Tolkein. So, leaving the car keys with my wife, I walked home in a windy snow storm (over a mile). By the time I got home, half-frozen, I had a kind of new respect for Tolkein.

My "zero interest in the subject matter" is the sort of baggage (predispositions) audience members bring to the the stage, screen and TV. These predispositions can be negative or positive. "I hate cowboy movies" "I can't stand to watch Richard Dreyfus" "I'll see any movie with Johnny Depp in it" "I love everything Steven Spielberg has done"
etc. etc.

The baggage (the sum total of our experiences) we bring to the event accounts, in part, for the wide disparity in the reaction to a movie.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
benconservato wrote:
oh yes... Dr Strangelove is a candidate, but I disliked that other movie (disliked is perhaps not the same as boring) that Peter Sellers made, I believe his last it had Chance or something in the title. It was just too sad. I was so angry with it for some reason.

You are, no doubt, referring to "Being There." Sellers plays a character named "Chance."

And speaking of "chances," you might want to give the movie another one: I think "Being There" is terrific.
0 Replies

benconservato

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:07 pm
I don't know... I just didn't like how he was taken advantage of. I have a thing about that.
Maybe the movie wasn't so bad. Laughing at the slow guy is not my thing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
I don't think I've ever seen the most boring movie, because if I don't like the beginning, I'll walk out of the theater or change channels.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 03:03 pm
I'm at a lost how a movie can be boring but very good. In the case of "2001," it does perhaps require a methodical and analytical mind like Kubrick's and, I've said it before, the movie really demands the big screen (saw it at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome shortly after they installed their new enormous screen and great sound system). Of course, the amount of pot smoke in the theater was overpowering. "Dr. Strangelove" doesn't bore me at all but perhaps Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" is the one film he made that kept the adrenalin running throughout the picture. "Citizen Kane" as a portrait of a egoistical sociopathic beast is not boring, especially when one applies the profile to present day leaders in government and business. It's eerily right on the button and I, for one, hestitate when pushing one of those buttons. In the voting booth.

Not a fan of "Being There," more like been there, done that...ho hum.

Billy Falcon is right -- we do have biases on certain genres, actors and directors. I never expected to like movies by directors I had little faith in. I would more likely give an actor or a genre the chance. Walking out at the beginning of the film could mean one misses a great film that starts off slowly. It may be a good thing that a film doesn't have "a hook" and I've found that more of these films who entrap one in the first half-hour can turn out to be the biggest bores. Movies are more apt to go astray after the first reel.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 03:58 pm
Stone appears to have pulled a turkey out of the film-can, 'Alexander' apparently makes 'Troy' seem like quality cinema.
0 Replies

NineTurningMirrors

Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
Is it really that bad? Shame... I guess I would have to say ..Tha Big Chill. My friends insisted I watch it,but...I stopped 1/2 way through!
0 Replies