Choosing lifestyle instead of a well paid job ..

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:29 pm
slippery are ya?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:53 pm
nah, always 2 possible directions, multiple points of view to be considered ... Which way to swim. she asks? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:42 pm
sort of like a gemini?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:49 pm
nah, more head in clouds, dreamer ... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:49 pm
Let's see, after I got out of the USAF, I got into the workaroundtheclock syndrome. I went to UTulsa, wrote for a teaching tapes company, showed up in the dead of night to dub off what I had written and then played guitar and did improv two nights a week at O'Henry's Pub.

When my wife ran off with my best friend, yes my life is a bad movie, I was left with my two kids and three part time jobs. (a bad prime time special movie, parental guidance is reccommended.) I went back to school and started what I like to call my "Quit every Spring" program.

As long as I had the rent and food money saved, I quit whatever I was doing and went out to ride my bicycle. I taught the kids to fish and bike.
If I was on a long ride, they fished all day. I rode, we ate what they caught.
I taught long distance riding for about ten years every spring, then rode all summer and into the fall, somewhere about the end of September I would walk into a sales office and walk out with a job.

About seven years ago I had a couple of bad crashs, Slings, broken bones, that sort of thing. We moved to New York so that L could design. The bikes are in the cellar, I sell stuff every day and I keep an eye on the calendar, Spring is only weeks away.
I am the richest man on the face of the earth. Go ahead ask all the rest of them, I am.....

Joe Nation
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:18 am
Let me congratulate you, Joe N.
That took some courage & optimism to turn what could have been a disastrous situation into something so good. Very Happy
And I'm sure that your children appreciate you making them such an important priority. Those trips will be remembered as very special times for them. Good on you! Take a bow! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 11:43 am
Well, I'll say, good for you Joe Nation. Never knew a man could carry out this option.

little k, pretend you're Joe Nation (well, not really, but how he makes his life work). He just knows there's something else around the bend, when he finishes doing something on this side of the bend. The only reason there's always something there to meet his needs, though, is because he KNOWS he's not living noooo life where he can't take care of himself and his kids. He probably also gets out there and finds it, constantly brings those ideas up and out of himself.

Just enjoy what you're doing as it must be giving you some peace and rest. The remainder of your life will get there soon enough and it will surprise the hell out of you. Maybe there's some kind of, way of, teaching that you don't see just yet.

Tex-Star
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 01:23 pm
Nice life JoeNation!

I do always have enough for rent and food. Never been hungry for more than a week at the end of the month. And, even then, there's usually staples in the pantry.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 05:07 pm
Joe Nation
Quite a story. You deserve applause....More important, I'll bet your kids are proud of their rugged individualist Dad.
0 Replies