cremation weight limit

Noddy24

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:56 am
Eva--

Wicked accuracy.

Montana--

Only a $100 surcharge? Established funeral homes are getting at least $1500 extra for weighty patrons.
0 Replies

NickFun

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:58 am
I read of the late Robert Earl Hughs who weighed over 1,000 pounds. He was buried in a coffin the size of a piano crate. When you're truly big it's going to be a bitch to get rid of you no matter how it's done.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:46 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Montana--

Only a $100 surcharge? Established funeral homes are getting at least $1500 extra for weighty patrons.

Oh yes, you're definitely undervaluing your services, Montana. I would suggest they pay by the pound.

Of course, this would play right into my own business plan...make 'em look good for the viewing, then it would cost less to cremate them. Overall, they'd spend the same money, but they'd get more for it.

Whaddya think....partners?

What should we name our funeral home? Hmmmm......
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:07 am
You're both right of course. Charging by the pound would be a great idea.

How about the Super Size Funeral Home :-)
0 Replies

NickFun

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:13 am
"Jakes Big & Tall Funerl Home". With an extra large crematorium capable of fitting men over 7 foot and over 1,000 pounds!
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
How about:

"Love by the Pound"
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
Most of the elderly, who live to their 80s don't weigh so much.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:36 pm
Hmmm. No, I think we need something more appealing. Large people don't like attention drawn to their size. We need a name that makes it sound like all the beautiful people go there.....
0 Replies

doglover

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:14 pm
At the cemetery I work at, an obese person who is laid to rest in an 'oversize' casket must purchase two plots in order to be buried. A single interment space will not accomidate an oversize casket.
0 Replies

doglover

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:19 pm
Miller wrote:

There are a large number of people who die well before their time due to obesity or diseases directly resulting from being obese.

There isn't anything funny about being obese.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:20 pm
Miller wrote:
How many 500+ pounders live to their 80s?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:37 pm
The obese aren't expected to pay for two airline seats....but their heirs have to pay for double burial plots.

As for the Bury The Body Beautiful contingent....only in America.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:00 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The obese aren't expected to pay for two airline seats....
They are on Southwest Airlines' Planes. If you need a seatbelt extension, they charge for a second seat.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:06 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The obese aren't expected to pay for two airline seats....but their heirs have to pay for double burial plots.

Why should they have to pay for two burial plots? Why not dig the hole twice as deep? Idea
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:08 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Miller wrote:
How many 500+ pounders live to their 80s?

I've never seen anyone in their 80s , who weighed 500 pounds, unless they had kidney failure and their bodies were swollen with water.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:37 pm
Miller--

Dig the hole twice as deep and assure everyone that Double-Weight Daddy always slept on his side? I suppose you could super glue the lid of the casket so that it wouldn't come open as it was lowered sideways into the grave.

Bill--

Glad to know about Southwest Air.
0 Replies

doglover

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:40 pm
Miller wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

Why should they have to pay for two burial plots? Why not dig the hole twice as deep? Idea

It's not about the depth Miller (graves are always dug 6 feet under no matter what)...it's about the width. :wink:

Oversized caskets cannot be entombed in a Mausoleum either. Two spaces (couch crypt) must be purchased and can be very expensive.

I don't see anything wrong with obese persons having to pay for two seats. Even if a fat person crams theirself into a seat, they tend to hang over onto the seat next and armrest next to them. There is also the weight factor to consider which can have safety implications.

0 Replies

Miller

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:43 pm
Couch crypt? Never thought of that.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:00 pm
I agree about very large people needing to buy two seats on airplanes, BUT...

How come those seats (& the knee room) keep getting smaller and smaller all the time? My 6'2" husband can barely get his legs folded up in there. He didn't used to have this problem. It's gotten worse. I believe American was sued for this a couple of years ago and had to increase the space between seats. (Then they ran an ad campaign saying, "More room!" Sheesh.) I'm convinced the airlines have made the seats as small as possible in order to cram as many people onto the plane as they can.

People are getting larger and larger with every generation. That's an established fact. It seems reasonable to me that cemetary plots, caskets, airline seats, etc. should also get larger.
0 Replies

doglover

Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:31 pm
Eva wrote:

People are getting larger and larger with every generation. That's an established fact. It seems reasonable to me that cemetary plots, caskets, airline seats, etc. should also get larger.

I agree Eva. However, the reason airline seats won't get larger and cemetery plots won't get larger is two fold:

1) The majority of the population is still 'normal' size.

2) By making larger, roomier seating in airliners and selling larger cemetery plots the profit margin of big business would be cut severerly.
0 Replies