What IS it with the USA and Cuba?

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:44 pm
When I was in Southern Florida I really loved Cuban coffee http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vndHFz0vfBAC:www.havanacubanfood.com/coffee4.gif and this wonderful side dish, yummy http://www.cafeseville.com/images/tres_leche.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:55 pm
I don't do coffee, but i could fall into that plate!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:57 pm
It is a heavenly food that is for sure.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 06:20 pm
tres leches, food of the gods
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 07:39 am
Goodness - seems every thread I touch digresses!

LOL
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 08:27 am
Well, whadda ya know about that?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 08:50 am
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to ME?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:14 am
Perish the very thought.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:16 am
Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 08:05 pm
Question: if there is indeed a consensus here that the sanctions are ineffective or counterproductive, and unjustifiable at that:

What should have been the alternative?

What kind of strategy should the US - or any state - (have) take(n) when a country close by becomes a (hostile) dictatorship? Is it OK to espouse regime change in another country - and if it is, how can it be striven for in ways that are both effective and justifiable?

As for tourism, btw, Cuba is attracting increasing numbers of Dutch tourists, indeed - it's hip, even, thanks I'm sure to the Buena Vista Social Club Cuban music-thing as much as to the revived Che romanticism - but an increasingly dominant part of that story sadly is how, like some West-African states, it's becoming to women what, say, Thailand is for men ...
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:52 pm
I am not sure that the US should ever strive for regime change through sanctions that mostly hurt the populace, not the regime. We have been doing the same thing to Iraq since the Gulf war with some pretty horrific results there. I am opposed to this sort of sanctions.
0 Replies