I'm getting fatter every year and I don't care

sadie

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:44 pm
Is there anyone out there whose life does not revolve around the latest "diet revolution?" I'm tired of every person I meet judging their value and the value of everyone else solely on how they look and how skinny they are. I am by no means obese, but I am slightly overweight, and I am TIRED of feeling like a second class citizen because I am not skin and bones. I'm a nurse, and I take care of dying patients on a daily basis, and I ALWAYS give them my best, and do everything I can to make sure they are comfortable and well taken care of. Yet, I feel I am not valued in society because I don't look like a model in a string bikini. This society has it's values all wrong, and I'm sure there are many other people who feel the same. How about some feedback? Am I the only one who isn't calculating the amount of CARBS in a stick of gum? Am I the only one sick of this country's backwards values???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,151 • Replies: 27
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
Re: I'm getting fatter every year and I don't care
sadie wrote:
Is there anyone out there whose life does not revolve around the latest "diet revolution?"

*Raises Hand* I have never been on a "diet" (as opposed to just plain old eating) in my life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:55 pm
Sing it sister!

Hehehe

I have cut back here and there on occasion, but I've never been on a diet. Definitely not a fad diet. I'm on the high end of my body weight range and I feel imperfect as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:56 pm
(oh, and fishin has never dieted because he probably has never been anything but a skinny guy)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:28 am
Ah, I've always despised dieting, and I've found that I do better (e. g. gain more slowly or not at all, so I'm at a stable state) when I just balance my foods better and eat less junk.

So long as your cholesterol and pressure are good, you should be fine (no, I'm not handing out medical advice), unless your doctor specifically gives you a reason for losing weight other than "You should lose weight." Plenty of people are outside of the actuarial table levels (either higher or lower weights), and so long as other risk factors are not present (high blood pressure, history of stroke in the family, high cholesterol, that kind of thing), extra weight, in and of itself, should not be seen as a risk factor.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:49 am
sadie, welcome to A2K. Like fishin', I was born skinny. I do have to watch my diet, however, because I tend to be glucose intolerant.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:56 am
What makes you feel like a second class citizen?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:01 am
sadie - you're feeling second classish? you needn't. quickly, post in the beautiful people's thread :-)

Also - I'm not a skinny minny either, but you better believe I'm beautiful and sexy and that everything about me is LOVELY. Why? Because I know this about myself. You seem to be on the way to feeling as beautiful as the work you're performing - hurry and get there!!!

People who judge you because you dont look like the Cosmo girls are just dumb - there's not a simpler way to put it.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:02 am
however, the whole 'getting fatter every year' might not exactly be the best thing for your health, so you might want to try something to curb that.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:24 am
Diet Schmiet...

im sorry i eat less, but sometimes one triple quarter pounder with extra cheese and bacon and some ice tea lasts me all day...

that was yesterday i was running non stop from start to finish....road warrior extrordinare plus 2 weeks worth of laundry and phone calls phone calls phone calls.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:09 pm
IAN442 wrote:
...that was yesterday i was running non stop from start to finish....road warrior extrordinare plus 2 weeks worth of laundry and phone calls phone calls phone calls.

Ian...you sound like someone who could use the services of a maid. :wink:
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:35 pm
Quote:
IAN442 wrote:
...that was yesterday i was running non stop from start to finish....road warrior extrordinare plus 2 weeks worth of laundry and phone calls phone calls phone calls.

Ian...you sound like someone who could use the services of a maid.

That sounds like my average day too.

As for food, I have a small appetite but I eat absolutely anything I want. I am of the opinion that I might as well have a small piece of that full-fat tasty morsel than a huge helping of low-fat (?) tasteless gunk.

I am no slim chicken and I could do with losing some lbs but I don't overstress about it. One of these days, I'll get my ass off the couch and attempt exercise ....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:27 pm
Heeven wrote:
One of these days, I'll get my ass off the couch and attempt exercise ....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't do it! That's when the bad things start happeneing. Enjoy the couch. Be one with the couch. The couch luvs you! Razz
0 Replies

mchalel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:09 pm
re
I think lately there is so much emphasis on being thin because of the obesity epidemic going on in this country. I'm 5'5", 120 and sometimes i still feel fat when i browse through Cosmo or Glamour. I was bulimic for about 5 years (i'm nuts remember?) and i still sometimes have urges if i eat a lot...so i try not to eat large portions of food. It does piss me off the way there is so much emphasis on women having to be beautiful. I've known women that will have great things happen to them careerwise or personally and one of the first things they always do is get a makeover or something to enhance the way they look. Why? If they have already acheived something great isnt that enough? Why do they always have to throw in a new hairdo, or make up? It's becuase women are SUPPOSED to be PRETTY in this world. That's why. And being pretty=thin in this society that we live in. One does not need to be 5'8 105 lbs to be healthy, but it does seem to be what you need in order to get any freakin' compliments. Alright, i'm going to have a drink (:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
Mc. Just heard on the news that Medicare will now be covering obese folks should they wish to lose weight. Guess it has been declared a disease.
0 Replies

mchalel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:15 pm
re
That's crap, obesity should not be declared as a disease! That's like saying that smoking , drinking, and heck sex are all diseases. THose things can CAUSE you to get diseases just like obesity can, but a person needs to stop doing those things in order to prevent disease. Why are some people so lazy? I know there are some people who just cant lose weight, but others are obese and just dont do anything about it Mad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:18 pm
I guess the people at medicare do think it's a disease. Or whatever is behind obesity is a disease.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:05 am
Hmm, treating obesity as a disease seems silly when it is not really, but, if medicare, the gov, society want to do something then perhaps one suggestion to start:

Restaurant portions should be made smaller! If they want to tackle it seriously then they need to go to the one area that might begin "educating" people about what is a more appropriate portion size. I think a lot of people need to be re-trained in this area. I always feel so guilty when the server asks me "didn't you like it?" when I am done after only eating up to half the food on the plate. I'd be willing to pay the same price for half the amount but food at full fat (none of those low-fat dressings and diet drinks, etc.) Why can't portion sizes be included on menus? I'd be happy with the "small" portion because it totally destroys my appetite to see a plate heaped with food that I know I cannot possibly get through.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:06 am
Heeven wrote:
Restaurant portions should be made smaller!

They should treat it like they do smoking and ban the public consumption of food and drink. Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:13 am
Heeven, I couldn't agree with you more. It was my anniversary this weekend, and we decided to try out my old chef-teacher/mentor's new resto, Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar. They have a wide variety of food, with tapas-sized portions between 5-12 dollars. Wine can be sampled in 2 oz. portions as well, if you want to try a few. We shared about 5 selections, and it was just right. What a concept! I never oversize when catering, but I am not stingy either. The last two things I need are for customers to feel bloated and uncomfortable, or hungry after dinner. http://www.jkkitchens.com/
0 Replies