India
Pale
Ale
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
edgarblythe wrote:
There is no in crowd.
Correst. There appears to only an 'in' individual (present company excepted)
izzythepush wrote:
That's obvious to everyone except self centred little tits who can't accept the fact that nobody is interested in what they have to say. It's a lot easier to blame it on a conspiracy than accept one's own shortcomings.
Also true. That was not the purpose of this thread, originally intended as sarcasm.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:01 am
@neologist,
That's also obvious, but some just take themselves way too seriously.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
@neologist,
Ah....beer. Thank you.
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 07:34 pm
@dlowan,
Beer and carrots good for rabbits.
dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 01:47 am
@neologist,
We don't like beer.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 04:20 am
@dlowan,
Call yourself an Australia? Next you'll be saying you don't like surfing, prawns, barbecues and going to the beach on Christmas Day.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:12 am
@dlowan,
No problemo, I don't like carrots. Wanna trade?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:16 am
@edgarblythe,
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Nice 'un!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:20 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
But anyway, you have a personal invitation to participate in any of my threads, Edgar. Trolls are about opening up discussion, not shutting it down.

YOUR threads? I thought:

Quote:
I don't think you understand how these open forums work, Edgar. No one owns a thread.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:25 am
@dlowan,
He only knows of one name for sure: maxdancona. Ever hear of him? Ever really truly want to hear from him?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:35 am
The Internet has pros and cons. One of the pros is that you can reach out to lots of people of different experiences and share insights. One of the cons is that you get people who might express themselves in less than desirables ways or have truly repugnant opinions. That is part of Internet discussion, I'd say an inherent part. There are going to be flame wars, boorish behaviors, truly obnoxious opinions and people, etc. There will also be great insights, unique experiences, and thoughtful solutions. To get rid of the former, you will significantly curtail the latter. I don't think you want to do that and if you did, h0w could you possibly police it? How thick should someone's skin be? Some people are offended by the very act of someone disagreeing with them. Some people see criticism as racism or anti-Semitism. Who is the policeman? The ignore function is great for customizing the interactions to your specifications. It doesn't stop threads from going off the tracks, but it helps. I think anything more would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:41 am
@engineer,
I believe in evolution. Sometimes getting off track is the right way to go, sometimes it gets the nitwit opinions in and over with and the thread get back to the meat. Any controls only introduces new nits to pick over.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 01:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Funny!

The people in the "in-crowd" are the people who are saying "there is no in-crowd".
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 01:55 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
One of the cons is that you get people who might express themselves in less than desirables ways or have truly repugnant opinions. That is part of Internet discussion, I'd say an inherent part.

Here on Able2know, the opposite problem is the bigger problem. There is a group of people working to drown out a viewpoints they disagree with. I see no reason that topics like "creationism" is particularly "repugnant".

There are some opinions that I myself consider "repugnant", but "repugnant" should be reserved to a very small number of opinions. I don't support the idea that any idea that a group of people disagree with can be labeled "repugnant" and then shouted out of a public forum.

There are a large number of viewpoints that even when expressed respectfully bring instant personal attacks from the in crowd.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 01:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Next to you Max, a bucket of **** would be part of the in crowd.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 02:22 pm
@maxdancona,
It's the Internet. It is loud and uncensored. No one can censor you, you cannot censor the response, and someone's visceral reaction to your post going to get posted just as fast or faster than someone else's reasoned consideration.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 02:38 pm
@maxdancona,
In short, those who disagree with you are the "in crowd"..