Can you stump the bible thumper?

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
The cute thing about canonical writings is they may be made to mean about whatever supports the agenda of whoever is doing the interpretation, seems to me. As far as I can tell, "What this means ... " translates most often to "This is what I find concvenient you should think this means ... "

And the more writing there is from which to draw, the more room there is for that approach
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The cute thing about canonical writings is they may be made to mean about whatever supports the agenda of whoever is doing the interpretation, seems to me. As far as I can tell, "What this means ... " translates most often to "This is what I find concvenient you should think this means ... "

And the more writing there is from which to draw, the more room there is for that approach

And the more popular the religion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:16 pm
Moish-I wish to thank you for your scholarly explanation. Ive clipped it and stuck it in my files.
Im impressed that the foundational rabbinical arguments are ,may I say, almost concieved to take science on by the neck,much later, and it was done even before science had established the conceptual models of evolution or physical constants that underpin it.

I have to admit that i am totally ignorant of the aspects of your discussion , but i am impressed as to how the points are crafted, and expressed. its almost like sitting and trying to understand whats going on in a curative amendment hearing.
i will follow on because , Im going to find a way in which this can be of use in my secular travels.
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 11:17 pm
Forgive me for my absence, before I am a poster of the board, I’m a full-time husband and father.

I bit off more then I can chew on this thread. Even though the topic strayed off course, there have been many really good questions. I would like to get to them all but unfortunately, I do not have the time or energy to answer all of the questions, and I’m not a very fast typer either.

Setanta wrote:
Yoda wrote:
The reason you do not understand the answer is, because you do not understand your question.

I understand it fully well, and i've heard endlessly that old red herring about preserving his lineage. I simply wanted to assure myself that you had fully boughten into the hateful, patriarchal crap that fills Genesis. No further information needed.

Were Abraham found today on top of a high place, with a knife at his son's throat, speaking to an imaginary being away off in the sky, he'd be a candidate for the rubber room, as well he ought. Were Lot to be discovered in that cave with his daughters, he'd be subject to prosecution, and rightly so. The desire of the faithful to justify execrable acts is more than evidence enough that they've abandoned decency in the fervor of their fanaticism. I've read that silly book through and through, most often in the context of reading unreliable, highly prejudiced historical accounts which are corroborative of the fuller accounts of more important civlizations. But your answer supplies me exactly what i need in the way of assessing your fanatical attitudes. It is obvious that you consider that silly book to be revealed truth.

You and i have nothing further to discuss.

I’m sorry to have upset you, that was not my intention. Your question came off quite exaggerated, even somewhat malevolence. I can completely empathize with your frustrations, I have not always been a Christian. There are things I read in the bible that just don’t make since to me either sometimes, but isn’t that apart of life?

Here’s is my best answer to challenge you dilemma…

You are comparing today’s culture and way of living against a culture 5000 years ago. There are other historical accounts that incest was the norm, and of people taking their religion much more seriously. Do you despise the concept of God because that was written in the bible? Will you despise archeologist with the same passion when they claim that 5000 years ago, incest and radical rituals was apart of human nature? Or is it that you are discouraged for knowing of some of the things God allowed during different era’s of human history?

I hope you will take your words back, and peacefully discuss this further.

timberlandko wrote:
OK, Yoda, I'll play. Please resolve the contradiction presented by the assertion in Ecclesiates 1:4, wherein it is stated the earth shall abide forever though 2Peter 2:10 clearly declares the earth shall be consumed by flames (Armageddon), and, as claimed variously yet unambiguously in Ezekiel 30:3, Joel 3:14, Obadiah 1:15, Zephariah 1:14, John 5:25-29, 1John 2:18, 1Peter 4:7, and James 5:8, among other citations I'm too lazy to continue looking up, imminently and in short order (which really doesn't give the meek, promised inheritance of the earth in Mat 5:5, much to look forward to), and as further confused by Jesus' own statement as purported through Mark 13:32 wherein he claims to know not the hour or day God has set for the end of the world, despite the founding, central, defining, mission-critical fact he himself is purported to be God, hence by self-affirmed definition omniscient, while in Matthew 24:34 and in Luke 21:32, Jesus is quoted as saying the world would end before the generation of the disciples was over, amplified by his purported statement that some of those to whom he was speaking at the time would be alive when his kingdom returns, as quoted in Mark 9:1, Matthew 16:27-28, and Luke 9:26-27.

Please note that neither an answer of "Allegory" or "Faith" will satisfy.

The bible does not contradict itself…

Ok, I lied. Yes, there are many contradictions in the bible, different accounts written in the hands of separate authors. Thus saying, there is no absolute answer for what you are seeking.

Armageddon does not describe total annihilation of the earth, but 1/3 of it. Quite honestly, Armageddon is a place, a valley, and not an occurrence but the name of the area in which the event occurs. Never does it say all life ends at the second coming of Jesus, only 1/3. After the event, there will finally be peace on earth, but this peace comes at the most devastating price ever in history. The end of the world is better translated, the end of the age, clearly life continues on earth after the war.

The passage of “Blessed are the meek…” I’ve always taken the meaning of the mortal life of the man, and till the end of his generation. But then again, Revelations describes heaven on earth and God’s throne will be placed over the New Israel. “another contradiction perhaps?”

I don’t claim the same omniscience that is construed here, I believe God is forever learning and doesn’t always no what will happen when the opportunity presence itself. God may no the number of your hair, but His gift of free will cannot be altered by Him. If God guided your every step and instructed your every choice, it wouldn’t be free will then, would it? Yet God can see the outcome of our choices, why? It’s either that He has seen the end results of the choices of mankind, or is He speaking from experience.

Just like man, God has theories that he cannot sometimes see the end result until He puts His theory into action. God is capable of making a mistake, making a mistake is not a sin.

The Disciples of Jesus are still alive, the generation of His disciples has not ended yet because people still need to be taught of God, and some of us are still taught by God. When Jesus’ second coming occurs, the Disciples will no longer be needed for we who remain will finally know the mysteries and truths of God.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:07 am
Yoda wrote:
Armageddon does not describe total annihilation of the earth, but 1/3 of it.
Never does it say all life ends at the second coming of Jesus, only 1/3.

I'd suggest you read the book you live by.

First of all, the 1/3 figure you quote (which has to do with the percentage of mankind killed, not "annihilation of the earth" [see Rev. 9:15]) is supposed to happen before the battle at Armageddon. The toll at Armageddon is supposed to be massive too, & there's plenty of other righteous death & torture to be found at about the same time, such as from God's lovable hairy locust/scorpion/horse freaks (see Rev. 9:1-10). God sure packs a fine can of whoopass.

As for the Bible's tale of Earth's complete destruction, see the following examples...

(2nd Peter 3:7-12 [NKJV]) wrote:
7. But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
... 10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 11. Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12. looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?
(Zephaniah 3:8) wrote:
"Therefore wait for Me," says the LORD, "Until the day I rise up for plunder; My determination is to gather the nations To My assembly of kingdoms, To pour on them My indignation, All My fierce anger; All the earth shall be devoured With the fire of My jealousy.
(Revelation 21:1) wrote:
Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away....

I can provide you with additional references if you'd like.

Yoda wrote:
The end of the world is better translated, the end of the age, clearly life continues on earth after the war.

You've been getting a number of things mixed up. Yes, after the battle of Armaggedon the millennium of peace, love, free weed & all-around hippie goodness is supposed to begin. God then follows that up (& I'm very briefly summarizing from memory here) with the battle of Gog & Magog & the complete destruction of Earth, and (not being one to pass up any opportunity for retribution) one last big judgement of all mankind.

Yoda wrote:
God is capable of making a mistake...

That'd be admitting more than he ever did. Wink

Edited coz I'm too stubborn to spellchcek...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:11 am
Monger wrote:
God sures packs a fine can of whoopass.

Stewie: "Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know, a pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence. Gotta get me some of that."

"My, my, what a thumping good read. Lions eating Christians, people nailing each other to two-by-fours. I say, won't find that in 'Winnie the Pooh!'" -Stewie reading the Bible

"I love God, he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie

Another just for laffs:

Stewie: "Yea, and God said to Abraham, 'You will kill your son Isaac.' And Abraham said, 'I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone.' And God said, 'Oh, I'm sorry, is this better? Check, check, check. Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here.'"
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:15 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
Oops! Very Happy
I left out a number. It's 974 generations...

Okay. I'm assuming that you asked because you wanted to know.
In Orthodox Judaism, the Rabbis give over certain ideas and then we spend the next three thousand years expounding upon them.

I got half way through this study, then I thought to myself…

Holy **** this is long. Very Happy

But hey, thanks for printing that study. Now I know for sure one of my theories about Genesis is correct, (concerning the other tribes of men briefly mentioned in it).

I hope some day Moishe3rd, you and I can type a mature and deep conversation about your Jewish beliefs and my Gentile Christian beliefs. And I hope the Spirit of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob flows through the both of us when we do.

May our God bless you Moishe3rd.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:31 am
dlowan wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Setanta wrote:

(CdK, where'd all the freaks come from today?)

Dunno, I can only speak for myself and Gus.

I came from a fetid claustrophobic* womb. Gus from a swamp. Me 'n Gus have an unspoken understanding that they are, in essence, the same damn thing.

* Abusage welcoming a challenge.

Certainly..

And, wombs having no consciousness, they cannot experience claustrophobia.

Hey, I missed the challenge of my abusage.

The American Heritage® Dictionary wrote:
Usage Note: Clinically speaking, claustrophobic refers to an abnormal tendency to feel terror in closed spaces. But like other terms used to describe psychological conditions (narcissistic and schizophrenic, for example), claustrophobic has been applied more loosely in general usage over time. At first it referred to any kind of temporary feeling of being closed in or unable to escape (I felt claustrophobic in that tiny room). Then it became common to use it to refer to any kind of space that might make a person feel such sensations (The staff members are jammed into a nest of claustrophobic offices). This latter usage is unacceptable to 74 percent of the Usage Panel, implying that claustrophobic should be used only to describe a psychological state. Nevertheless, this usage is well established, and it follows a tendency to combine adjectives with nouns according to a progressively looser interpretation of the relationship between the two. For example, the phrase topless swimsuit came to be followed by topless dancers, which led in turn to topless bars, topless districts, and topless ordinances. By the same token, a room that induces a particular emotion may be described as sad or cheerful without objection, and there seems to be no reason for drawing the line at calling it claustrophobic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 02:11 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
Many Jews, including some rabbis, hold that the universe is 5,763 years old.

So do many Christians, the geneology drek started with Archbishop Usher from the Catholic church around 1650.

Quote:
The view of the scientific community - that the universe is roughly 15 billion years old, give or take a couple billion - is dismissed in one of two ways. The first approach is to say that the science is faulty. Even the scientists will readily admit that science is constantly improving itself, and today's conventional wisdom becomes tomorrow's superstition.

Today's superstitious religious beliefs become tomorrow's metaphors and priorities on the "to revise" list.

For example the religious attempts to date the earth through the scriptures has been so daft as to even try to do it by the minute.

The father of this date-the-earth-using-geneology-in-scriptures approach (Archbishop Usher) went so far as to name Sunday, October 23rd, 4004, beginning at sunset of the 22nd as the specific time of creation.

Of course this religious belief was obviously flawed, the inexact nature of days alone make the math not add up even if all the spectacular brainfarts on the way to that proclamation were true.

I'm going to address this earth age question yet again. I think monger already has in this thread but judging by the spectacular deposits to come it didn't sink in.

Ok, first of all this "dismiss science" is really all your going to be left with, as your other ways around science's contradiction of the Bible's clear aging of the earth is problematic because of the Bible itself combined with science, so you'll ultimately just have to ignore science with those two routes.

So before I carp those old ploys you use next a word on this one.

"Dismiss science" is really one of the more silly aspects of Christianity. Dismissing it as flawed and citing examples of science correcting itself and revising its positions is ironic because it's an example of science showing a lot more interest in truth than the fundamentalist religious folk.

Sincerely, you would be better off taking the route of so many who cling to primitive beliefs and attempting to incorporate science itself into it.

It'd work like this, you incorporate evolution. Claim it's God's MO or somesuch.

While it smacks of revisionism and compromise it's a lot less ugly than the basis "dismiss science" line of defense that many religious folk have against scientific progress and discovery that are increasingly incompatible with primitive belief systems.

Quote:
The second approach is to say that G-d created the universe looking old.

It's not just looks you know, there are things indicative of aging beyond just "looking" full grown.

But let's have fun. Did God also make light travel faster for a wee bit for no reason at all except to provide refuge for those who dismiss science? Because when he made the stars less than 7000 years ago (according to the scriptures) he'd have had to do something like that or the universe would be very small.

Of course, you can just dismiss the science behind the evaluation of the waves of light and distancing too if you want. Like I said, all these superstitions will ultimately just have to dismiss science and knowledge.

Here's a good rhetorical argument in case you need it. It's daft but judging from these other ideas that isn't a problem for ya. ;-)

"If scientists can't even agree on how tall Mount Everest is you expect me to take their word on the distance of stars?"

Quote:
There is, however, another approach: the scientists are right (or at least close), and Scripture is being misinterpreted. It should be noted from the outset that the six days of Creation Week cannot possibly be literal 24-hour days, because the Sun wasn't created until the fourth day (Genesis 1:14-19), and there cannot be literal evenings and mornings as we know them without the Sun.

This is one of the oldest attempts to reconcile these primitive beliefs with science.

When science started making these dated beliefs look absurd people started coming up with these kinds of revisionist positions.

Before science made creation look idiotic the days were taken literally, but when knowledge starts making superstition look bad superstition must evolve because the adherents were getting laughed at too much.

So evolve it does, or at least tries cause that's a dirty word for many of the superstitious folk and we get attempts to employ the ambiguity of language and claim that the "days" are metaphors for "eons".

This resonates with some of the more gullible religious folk, as the scriptures have long had metaphor ascribed to many parts of it. Why shouldn't metaphor be a patch for when it's demonstratably false?

Well maybe it can work elsewhere, but you'll still have to resort to "dismiss science" here.

This is an old argument that theists with intellectual fancies tend to come and use only once here, and since we've been there and done that I'll quote from the exchange I had with Maliagar:'

Craven de Kere wrote:
As to your assertion that the days could be symbolic of greater time periods this is a famously refuted move in the history of this debate. The "grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself" that God created predates both the sun, signs, seasons, "the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly" etc etc.

If the time frame were much more than a day the separation of these ecosystems would not survive under the laws of nature of God's creation. Take your pick.

That is why that line of defense has long been abandoned by most scholarly theists in favor of increasingly ambiguous arguments.

The vague "intelligent design" line of belief is currently the most defensible position theists maintain.

Bringing these famously refuted arguments to the table can be embarassing, but hey, you are least provide options. Laughing

Unfortunately they are all equally embarassing, if not equally infamous with famous refutation.

I haven't the patience to go through all the ones you include below, you really do collate a lot of alternatives to science and reality, I like the one you include that moves the eons approach to Adam and Eve (that's as far as I got) and not creation. It's a nice evolution when the old arguments get refuted.

Thing is, the moving of the goal posts and the struggle to revise these holes in the scriptures are kinda transparent. It shows that the constant is obdurate belief and what has to be dismissed will be dismissed and what has to be revised will be revised... except for the primitive belief system, that stays.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:47 am
Craven, the Catholics receive enough deserved criticism, don't blame them for Bishop Ussher, who was Anglican.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 06:08 am
Quote:
I don’t claim the same omniscience that is construed here, I believe God is forever learning and doesn’t always no what will happen when the opportunity presence itself.

Very Happy
But I thought God noed everything
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 06:30 am
Set, certain people like simplicity. And simple people like certainty.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 06:44 am
farmerman wrote:
Moish-I wish to thank you for your scholarly explanation. Ive clipped it and stuck it in my files.
Im impressed that the foundational rabbinical arguments are ,may I say, almost concieved to take science on by the neck,much later, and it was done even before science had established the conceptual models of evolution or physical constants that underpin it.

I have to admit that i am totally ignorant of the aspects of your discussion , but i am impressed as to how the points are crafted, and expressed. its almost like sitting and trying to understand whats going on in a curative amendment hearing.
i will follow on because , Im going to find a way in which this can be of use in my secular travels.

Smile
You're welcome.
Torah study is like that.
You know those pictures you see of all of those kids with the peyes (the earlocks) and the rabbi poring over their books - those are the future scholars of this sort of thing. Some of them anyway.
My children have been studying all of their lives. My oldest married son is still learning full time. They can run rings around me.
But, after 20 years or so, I at least understand the discussion and I can cross check the references.
Unlike my children, who are still forming and live in a somewhat narrow world, I apply it to most things secular. And it works.
I am also impressed with the rabbinical arguments were crafted and how they applied to science before science was even "invented." Smile
It is one of the reasons that Judaism has stood the test of time, in spite of a few minor problems here and there. :wink:
There is so much to learn.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:00 am
set-William Jennings Bryan did give a personal paragraph to Archbishop Usshers calculation. In the Scopes trial he set the time at 10 AM in recross . So now we are complete.

Moish--Thats the fascination I have with many of the foundation myths, there is often an attempt at seeing to future argument. Many myths are, of course, not as logically crafted. Like DNA can be traced to the routes of ancient migrations, foundation myths have similar sequences that become common to later populations
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:00 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
Many Jews, including some rabbis, hold that the universe is 5,763 years old.

So do many Christians, the geneology drek started with Archbishop Usher from the Catholic church around 1650.

"Dismiss science" is really one of the more silly aspects of Christianity. Dismissing it as flawed and citing examples of science correcting itself and revising its positions is ironic because it's an example of science showing a lot more interest in truth than the fundamentalist religious folk.

Thing is, the moving of the goal posts and the struggle to revise these holes in the scriptures are kinda transparent. It shows that the constant is obdurate belief and what has to be dismissed will be dismissed and what has to be revised will be revised... except for the primitive belief system, that stays.

Hey Craven,
Wrong religion. Judaism, not Christianity.
Wrong time frame. The earliest writings were around 300 CE. They also "move" modern scientific goalposts.
The one writing quoted in the article was stated from around the 13th century.
But, gotta love those primitive belief systems. The Steady State Theory of the Universe was deemed impossible by the Rabbis. The Bing (sic) Bang is deemed plausible.
Sorry to be so transparent.
(We'll have to reorganize the conspiracy now that you've found us out.
Nuts!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:20 am
Yoda wrote:
I'm sorry to have upset you, that was not my intention.

You overrate the significance of your superstition in my life. You have not upset me.

Quote:
Your question came off quite exaggerated, even somewhat malevolence.

There was no exageration. I described what anyone can read in Genesis. The word is malevolent--you're using a noun where an adjective is required. This is your response, not a description of what i wrote. Hostile would be a better adjective, inasmuch as i will always express hostility toward the specious excuses of the apologists for the ugly patriarchal values of the OT.

Quote:
I can completely empathize with your frustrations, I have not always been a Christian. There are things I read in the bible that just don't make since to me either sometimes, but isn't that apart of life?

Recognizing nonsense when one sees it certainly is a part of life, hence my very ordinary objection to those who would attempt to defend the indefensible.

Quote:
Here's is my best answer to challenge you dilemma…

There is no dilemna--i have a straightforward and succinctly stated objection to the disgusting values implicit in any attempt to defend the scurrilous behavior of those glorified by the OT.

Quote:
You are comparing today's culture and way of living against a culture 5000 years ago. There are other historical accounts that incest was the norm, and of people taking their religion much more seriously. Do you despise the concept of God because that was written in the bible? Will you despise archeologist with the same passion when they claim that 5000 years ago, incest and radical rituals was apart of human nature? Or is it that you are discouraged for knowing of some of the things God allowed during different era's of human history?

No, i am objecting to the continued insistence of the faithful that one accept that drab, pathetic culture as a model of righteous living. I have more than a passing familiarity with history--nothing authorizes your contention that incest was a norm; whether or not it were, that in no way excuses those who defend it today. I was amused to see you contend that people took their religion more seriously then than now. When the extreme christian fanatics are willing to kill people by bombing abortion clinics, you might understand why i don't consider that to be a valid assessment. Your view is skewed by an apparent belief, unsupported by any historical record, that the selfish, self-indulgent patriarchal values of a semi-nomadic and both historically and culturally unimportant set of tribes in Palestine a few thousand years ago are to taken as a type for all of the Semitic people of that age. The Akkadians and Arameans reached levels of civilization so far in advance of the tribes of Judah and Israel to make comparisons laughably absurd. Those tribes are exceptional only in that they remained so barbaric in the midst of other Semites who reached high levels of civilized organization. Sweeping generalizations such as you have made about incest are not supportable in the literature available from Sumer, Ur, Babylon, Nineveh, Susa or any of the other great cities of the era. It is appalling how casually willing christians are to attempt to suggest that the Hebrew be taken for a type of human culture at the time, when they were in fact the "hillbillies" of their age, and little regarded by their neighbors, whose assesment was just, as they were obliged to associate with such savages. You have no way to demonstrate that what you conceive of as god exists, much to hold forth on what he/she/it did or did not allow at that time. In fact, before the return from the Babylonian captivity, the Hebrews themselves did not believe that their god was unique and exclusive, which further beggars arguments about either the historical or theological value of the OT, Genesis in particular.

Quote:
I hope you will take your words back, and peacefully discuss this further.

There is little to discuss--you seem to intend to persist in defending the OT on questionable bases. You have notably not addressed the issue of revealed truth, and whether our contemporaries ought to consider the bible to be a sources of wisdom and behavioral guidance for the modern world. I doubt that you would be able to support such a contention, although you are, of course, welcome to make the attempt.

In so doing, you will place yourself in the position of defending the primitive, ignorant and untutored values of selfish, woman-hating, racist and slave-holding nomadic emitic tribes, whose cultural development lagged significantly behind that of their neighbors. Good luck.

Finally, malevolent: Wishing evil; disposed to injure others; rejoicing in another's misfortune. Apart from not believing in any concept of evil, i justifiably resent being described as evil, or ill-willed toward those for whom i have simply ridiculed their superstitions. I have no hope, nor any interest in whether or not you take your words back; you may be assured that i will have little interest in conversation with someone who brands me evil on so flimsy a basis.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:53 am
Forgive them Setanta, for they know not what they do.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:58 am
Thanks for adddressing my question, and the others with which you have so far dealt, Yoda. Please note, however, that I exempted both faith and allegory from the options pertaining to your anticipated response. Your answer to me did not.

Now don't get me wrong here; I don't deny the validity of your belief system within your own universe ... if it works for you, fine; it works for you. I submit, however, that the metaphysical belief system to which you subscribe, for all its good intentions and noble, even needful precepts, violates the standards of logic, reason, and consistency, is incompatible with history, archaeology, paleontology, and geology alike, to say nothing of physics and astronomy (though there is, by historical and archaeological study, indisputable evidence of the antiquity of said belief system), in short, at odds with science in general, and that it is but a superstition wrapped in a self-applied cloak of authority. It is my contention that religion is neither more nor less than that aspect of humankind's social consciousness which attempts to resolve answers to questions unsatisfied by contemporary technology, expand kinship or clan relationships to encompass a larger social tructure and thereby provide basis for socio-political authority, and, ultimately, that religion, particularly as exampled through Western tradition, serves primarily to provide job protection for its shamans. Your mileage may vary.

Edit to add: been back here twice now to correct typos/misspellings, one of which patiodog just immortalized below. Such technical errors and flaws as remain in this post shall remain, as, obviously, efforts at repair are subject to unexpected further development . Dannit, I really oughtta learn to use "Preview" Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
Quote:
and thereby provide basis for soco-political authority

hence the morphing of Christ from shepherd to king to accountant...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 08:22 am
FM, thanks for the WJB info--it appears that the Lord God Almighty keeps banker's hours.
0 Replies