Adrian

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:40 pm
Cain's wife was Lilith.

I have a very rare book that tells me so. Laughing
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
I got one for which i've never heard a satisfactory answer . . . precisely how is it that Lot's daughters had sexual relations with him, but he slept through it all . . . thereby, of course, preserving his righteous piety?

Not that i'm all that intersted in the response of anyone naming themselves "Bible Thumper," as i rather suspect you take that entire fairy tale seriously, and likely subscribe to the notion of "revealed truth."

The reason you do not understand the answer is, because you do not understand your question. Here is the real story in full context of the bible, Genesis Chapter 19:30-38...
(Keep in mind the customs of those days, nearly 5000 years ago.)

Then Lot went up out of Zoar and dwelt in the mountains, and his two daughters were with him; for he was afraid to dwell in Zoar. And he and his two daughters dwelt in a cave. Now the firstborn said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man on the earth to come in to us as is the custom of all the earth. Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve the lineage of our father." So they made their father drink wine that night. And the firstborn went in and lay with her father, and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.
It happened on the next day that the firstborn said to the younger, "Indeed I lay with my father last night; let us make him drink wine tonight also, and you go in and lie with him, that we may preserve the lineage of our father." Then they made their father drink wine that night also. And the younger arose and lay with him, and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.
Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father. The firstborn bore a son and called his name Moab; he is the father of the Moabites to this day. And the younger, she also bore a son and called his name Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the people of Ammon to this day.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:44 pm
Adrian, I didnt question Mrs Cains name. I wondered where she came from (you know, like her family , her high school, that kind of stuff)

fishin , a suitable Jesuit inspired wink , Id like to hear the explanation about pre-Adamite humans from a biblical scholar.

remember , this was all about 6000 years ago so thats a very long time ago in terms of human existence
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:45 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I'll start us off with some fun.

Who was the first tennis player in the Bible?

Well Joseph served in the courts of the Pharaoh.

Bible thumping Yoda, maybe you could address a question that was first asked to Dr. Laura...Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves provided they are purchased from neighboring countries. Some people claim that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:46 pm
Yoda wrote:
Jim wrote:
OK - here's an honest question. It's one that's bothered me for years. The OT says that God loved Jacob but hated Esau (sorry - I don't have a Bible offshore so I can't give you chapter and verse). I can understand God hating Esau's actions and attitudes, but I can't see God hating Esau himself. What do you think?

This was the split of the Jewish and Muslim religion. God hated the works and disobedience of Esau, (hate is not a sin) God loves His creation, but His creation did not love Him, at least not all of His creation. This is why some are judged with such evil and cast into the lake of fire. And don't get me wrong, being a Muslim does not mean God hates you. You are judged by your works and saved by grace.

Jesus was born and crucified so that whomever has a repented heart and follows God's commandments will live in the next life. There are two kinds of people that get to live in the next life, those that are His bride, and people who served God as if they knew him, they are those that obeyed the law that was written in their hearts. It is those of a wicked and un-repented heart that will be cast into the lake of fire. Only God knows the hearts of all men.

(I lurk, trailing behind.... unable to resist the awful temptation of correction.... Oh, woe is me....)
The Sages (the Rabbis, of which there are thousands upon thousands extending back three thousand years) tell us that Yishmael was the Father of the Arab race. And whereas many of Esav's descendants did mix and mingle with the descendants of Yishmael and therefore also become of the various tribes of the Middle East, Esav's line goes to the founding of Rome, not Arabia.
Esav hates Yaakov translated to (Esav) Rome hates Israel and went on to (Esav) the Roman Catholic Church hates the Children of Israel. It turned out that was indeed the case.
The good news is that when Esav supports Yaakov, it is the times of Moshiach (the Messiah).
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:47 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I have a question regarding JEREMIAH 8 -- 14

Why do we sit still?
Gather together, let us go into the
fortified cities
and perish there

Wouldn't we be better off just sitting still?

***Trick Question***

This is what happens when bible scripture is taken out of context. This was a passage taken out of a warning against the teachings of false doctorine.

Here is the entire context.

The Peril of False Teaching
4 "Moreover you shall say to them, "Thus says the LORD:

"Will they fall and not rise?
Will one turn away and not return?
5Why has this people slidden back,
Jerusalem, in a perpetual backsliding?
They hold fast to deceit,
They refuse to return.
6I listened and heard,
But they do not speak aright.
No man repented of his wickedness,
Saying, "What have I done?'
Everyone turned to his own course,
As the horse rushes into the battle.

7"Even the stork in the heavens
Knows her appointed times;
And the turtledove, the swift, and the swallow
Observe the time of their coming.
But My people do not know the judgment of the LORD.

8"How can you say, "We are wise,
And the law of the LORD is with us'?
Look, the false pen of the scribe certainly works falsehood.
9The wise men are ashamed,
They are dismayed and taken.
Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD;
So what wisdom do they have?
10Therefore I will give their wives to others,
And their fields to those who will inherit them;
Because from the least even to the greatest
Everyone is given to covetousness;
From the prophet even to the priest
Everyone deals falsely.
11For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of My people slightly,
Saying, "Peace, peace!'
When there is no peace.
12Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination?
No! They were not at all ashamed,
Nor did they know how to blush.
Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
In the time of their punishment
They shall be cast down," says the LORD.

13"I will surely consume them," says the LORD.
"No grapes shall be on the vine,
Nor figs on the fig tree,
And the leaf shall fade;
And the things I have given them shall pass away from them.""'

14"Why do we sit still?
Assemble yourselves,
And let us enter the fortified cities,
And let us be silent there.
For the LORD our God has put us to silence
And given us water of gall to drink,
Because we have sinned against the LORD.

15"We looked for peace, but no good came;
And for a time of health, and there was trouble!
16The snorting of His horses was heard from Dan.
The whole land trembled at the sound of the neighing of His strong ones;
For they have come and devoured the land and all that is in it,
The city and those who dwell in it."

17"For behold, I will send serpents among you,
Vipers which cannot be charmed,
And they shall bite you," says the LORD.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:48 pm
fishin' wrote:
farmerman wrote:
where did Cains wife come from?

*nods*

Adam and Eve supposedly had 2 sons - Cain and Abel (Genesis 4:1 and 4:2). Cain left Eden (after killing Abel) and went to the land of Nod and found a wife (Genesis 4:16 and 4:17).

If we all came from Adam and Eve and they only had 2 sons where did all those people in the Land of Nod come from? *shrugs* (btw, asking this question in the 5th grade got me tossed outt of Catholic Elementry School! lol )

The Bible never says Adam & Eve had no daughters.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:48 pm
Yoda wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I got one for which i've never heard a satisfactory answer . . . precisely how is it that Lot's daughters had sexual relations with him, but he slept through it all . . . thereby, of course, preserving his righteous piety?

Not that i'm all that intersted in the response of anyone naming themselves "Bible Thumper," as i rather suspect you take that entire fairy tale seriously, and likely subscribe to the notion of "revealed truth."

The reason you do not understand the answer is, because you do not understand your question. Here is the real story in full context of the bible, Genesis Chapter 19:30-38...
(Keep in mind the customs of those days, nearly 5000 years ago.)

Then Lot went up out of Zoar and dwelt in the mountains, and his two daughters were with him; for he was afraid to dwell in Zoar. And he and his two daughters dwelt in a cave. Now the firstborn said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man on the earth to come in to us as is the custom of all the earth. Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve the lineage of our father." So they made their father drink wine that night. And the firstborn went in and lay with her father, and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.
It happened on the next day that the firstborn said to the younger, "Indeed I lay with my father last night; let us make him drink wine tonight also, and you go in and lie with him, that we may preserve the lineage of our father." Then they made their father drink wine that night also. And the younger arose and lay with him, and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.
Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father. The firstborn bore a son and called his name Moab; he is the father of the Moabites to this day. And the younger, she also bore a son and called his name Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the people of Ammon to this day.

Who ever said that Lot was righteous?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:51 pm
Monger wrote:
The Bible never says Adam & Eve had no daughters.

It never says they did either!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:53 pm
But there is great tradition in the Bible of neglecting to mention the daughters. One would get the impression that it was an entirely male society for great stretches.
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Yoda wrote:

This is not as much meant to be a trivia challenge game, I was more inclined for it to be about serious questions from people who doubt the bible. If ya wanna do trivia also, I'm game. But keep in mind, I never claimed to be a "know it all", I'm certain there are people who know the bible better then I. http://www.thechristianbbs.com/ubb/graemlins/thumbsup2.gif

Come now Yoda, this really won't do. When you toss out a title like "Can you stump the bible thumper?" you raise expectations you know, and quite frankly now that I'm here I really want to see the spectacle.

I'm afraid you'll really have to live up to the game. I envision you holding a large leatherbound Bible and there being a vertiable horde of people to thump.

I'm quite excited and feel I can expect a stellar show of emoticons (love em) and people flying all over the place.

I think there should be a lion's den involved. It wrought great dramatic effect in the scriptures and would really spice up this game.

I'll start us off with some fun.

Who was the first tennis player in the Bible?

Sorry to faulter to your expectations. http://adwoff.com/ubb/graemlins/hide.gif
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:57 pm
Yoda wrote:

Insofar as the emoticon goes ya didn't.

The answer to "who was the first tennis player in the Bible?" is:

Joseph, he served in the courts of Pharoah.

Next one:

Who was the most elastic individual in the Bible?
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:06 pm
farmerman wrote:
where did Cains wife come from?

Possibly from a Neanderthal tribe. Shocked

This is all my own theory…
Adam, Eve, and co. where created in the image of God, but in their time, the bible says there where other tribes of people. One may think it could be people not in the same form of man, or not in the image of God. Being that we have discovered the fossil remains of a Neanderthal human and no other links to human kind. It is possible that it is Neanderthal man that makes up the other tribes.

Science has recently concluded that our gene pool says that the human race all started off with the same two parents. And that Neanderthal man has a different genetic make-up.
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Insofar as the emoticon goes ya didn't.

The answer to "who was the first tennis player in the Bible?" is:

Joseph, he served in the courts of Pharoah.

Next one:

Who was the most elastic individual in the Bible?

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage43/17.gif

Ok, God. His hands stretches pretty far. http://fool.exler.ru/sm/kos.gif
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:23 pm
Nah, Abraham. He left his ass with two young men* and walked up the mountain.

*And Abraham said unto his young men, "Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you."
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 10:30 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Please explain if you believe the Bible literally about Job. Does God really think he made things all right when he restored health and wealth to him? I don't recall that his murdered (by God and Satan) relatives and servants were brought back to life. What sort of justice was that, just to prove a point in a wager of God and devil? Why did Job have to cower to God, telling him he was no more than a worm before him? If he was no more than a worm why was he important to God and the Devil in the first place? Huh, mister?

It's not like anything your saying, God did not murder Job's family, nor force Job to cower. Job acted out the way he did, he choose to curse the world and himself, because he did not understand what was happening to him.

Job is believed to be the oldest book in the bible, and even some believe Job to be a “fairy tail”. But I don’t believe it’s a fairy tail.

Job is a perfect example of how we learn to deal with things that we do not understand nor deserve. In the end, Job was made perfect in the eyes of God. God only allowed Satan the authority to destroy Job’s world as to prove to Satan how wrong he is. Job was paid back 10 fold for what he endured, as for the evil God allowed, even I have a hard time understanding it.

I also believe God is forever learning just as we are, perhaps God wanted to learn for himself. If God gives you everything so that you may believe in Him, if Satan takes it from you, will we still believe in God?
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:12 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Damn.
I sit here itching to thump.
To raise a veritable golly whumping thumping.
But, curses, it's not my thread.
And I am not inclined to try and persuade the gentiles. That's a no-no.
But all of the questions are about the "Old Testament" which we call Tanach; which we call Torah.
And we (de Jews) have been a-studyin' up on this for a loooooonnngg time.
Despair don't, Yoda. As you can, best you answer. Smile

I would love to study with someone of the Jewish creed, I've only ever learned the scriptures through a Christian perspective and I am of Jewish decent. I am curious, and I am opened minded, I pray you that you are opened minded too. http://www.wrestlingubbins.com/Pics/Yoda/y1.gif
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:28 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Jim wrote:
OK - here's an honest question. It's one that's bothered me for years. The OT says that God loved Jacob but hated Esau (sorry - I don't have a Bible offshore so I can't give you chapter and verse). I can understand God hating Esau's actions and attitudes, but I can't see God hating Esau himself. What do you think?

This was the split of the Jewish and Muslim religion. God hated the works and disobedience of Esau, (hate is not a sin) God loves His creation, but His creation did not love Him, at least not all of His creation. This is why some are judged with such evil and cast into the lake of fire. And don’t get me wrong, being a Muslim does not mean God hates you. You are judged by your works and saved by grace.

Jesus was born and crucified so that whomever has a repented heart and follows God’s commandments will live in the next life. There are two kinds of people that get to live in the next life, those that are His bride, and people who served God as if they knew him, they are those that obeyed the law that was written in their hearts. It is those of a wicked and un-repented heart that will be cast into the lake of fire. Only God knows the hearts of all men.

(I lurk, trailing behind.... unable to resist the awful temptation of correction.... Oh, woe is me....)
The Sages (the Rabbis, of which there are thousands upon thousands extending back three thousand years) tell us that Yishmael was the Father of the Arab race. And whereas many of Esav's descendants did mix and mingle with the descendants of Yishmael and therefore also become of the various tribes of the Middle East, Esav's line goes to the founding of Rome, not Arabia.
Esav hates Yaakov translated to (Esav) Rome hates Israel and went on to (Esav) the Roman Catholic Church hates the Children of Israel. It turned out that was indeed the case.
The good news is that when Esav supports Yaakov, it is the times of Moshiach (the Messiah).

I stand corrected, I mixed up Esau with Ismael. It's been a while since I have studied Genesis and I am also a little intoxicated.

Esau was a liar, a thief, and a murderer, so God hated him for his actions.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:38 pm
Yoda; the Bible is a "book", your god had nothing to do with the writing of it, there is absolutly no way of proving any "God said" things in it.... so consequently, I have the feeling you are woof woofing up a mythical tree.
0 Replies

Yoda

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 12:34 am
anton bonnier wrote:
Yoda; the Bible is a "book", your god had nothing to do with the writing of it, there is absolutly no way of proving any "God said" things in it.... so consequently, I have the feeling you are woof woofing up a mythical tree.

Actually, the bible is comprised of 66 books, (70 if it's Catholic) and written by (if I remember correctly) 42 authors made up of Kings, prophets, fishermen, women, shepherds, and so on. Written by human hands over a period of nearly 3000 years.

The bible is inspired by the spirit of God, my spirit gives me that faith to believe it. Not blindly though, but through personal experiences, miracles, and biblical challenges I did for myself. It takes allot of faith to believe in the bible because it is the teachings of God written by man. But once you gain that faith, you learn to read the bible in a new light.

There are three ways you can read the bible, two ways any John Doe can read, and one only God's chosen can read. You can read the bible for it's history, there is allot of factual history to learn from the bible. You can read the bible for it's literal concepts, which is practicality and the law. Or you can read the bible in the spirit and have the Holy Ghost guide you to learn of whom God is and what His will is.
0 Replies