Can you stump the bible thumper?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:54 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
In terms of Neanderthals, I look at it this way. No mater how simple in terms of social organization and technology the group. Humans use kinship as a primary source of social networks and survival. It is a human universal and therefore is probably appears very early in our history. So whether or not sleeping with Neanderthals was productive, you can be damn certain someone tried.

Gus probably tried.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:02 pm
'Scuse the interruption, I am listening happily to the discourse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Gus probably tried.

What do you mean tried? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:07 pm
I'm pretty sure I more or less dated a couple of 'em, but as it was always at at bar closing time, I can't be all that certain.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 10:00 pm
Yeh, that's what I meant, tried to date a couple of them Neandy Fems
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:14 am
There is not much on the planet some people won't attempt to mate with.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:32 am
Setanta wrote:
The tales of the splendor and glory of Solomon's palace and of the Temple are rather beggared by the very descriptions of the Bible. The temple is described as about 200 feet long (taking the extreme view that a cubit is 44"), and given the width in the text, it is about the size of the hull of U.S.S. Constitution. There were zigarut structures in Sumer thousands of years earlier which were more impressive. Compared to the contemporary corresponding structures in Babylon and Nineveh, not to mention the monumental architecture of the Nile valley, these buildings were pretty paltry. The alleged wealth of Judah was as likely an exageration, if not altogether chimerical.

There is more in your post than I have the time or knowledge to address but you might be interested in this one point. One of the big ruckuses in Biblical archaeology at the moment is that there is absolutely no archaeological evidence to confirm the supposed splendor of the David/Solomon golden age. Rather what they are finding is an impoverished society, marginal to the Assyrian, babylonian and Egyptian civilizations. This is putting a number of scholars (Bloom?) who built their reputation on this "golden age" out of sorts.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:35 am
Well, golden ages are pretty relative, aren't they? Athens was kind of a pisspot in its heyday, too (though even then it was reminiscing about yesteryear).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:07 pm
Acq, as long ago as prior to the First World War, there were historians and archaeologists denying the alleged splendor of Solomon's Jerusalem. An impoverished, marginal society is, in my never humble estimation, a very to the point description. You may well imagine that a century ago, those who made such an assertion were voices crying out in the wilderness.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
Soloman's Temple was pretty impressive, I believe, but then I wasn't there.

Boaz and Jachin
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:15 pm
If your perspective is that of a recently semi-nomad, living in a tent, a vision of WalMart would be a vision of Kingdom Come . . . the temple described in the Bible was a sad affair . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
And God said come forth, and moses came fifth, and won a bag of nuts.

I agree set its all a load of mythological **** but an interesting story if you're ointo stories.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
I thought that 'golden age' just referred to a whole lot of senior citizens turfed out by the kids into the desert, the closest thing to 'the home' that was availible at the time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:37 pm
Yes Steve, as stories go, it's a corker . . .

Cav, i believe they were given a tent before being booted out into the wilderness, no?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:47 pm
Some were. Tents cost extra at the time. This was pre-Medicare you know.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:27 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Soloman's Temple was pretty impressive, I believe, but then I wasn't there.

Boaz and Jachin

There's scant, and quite disputable, archaeologic evidence Solomon, or the temple itself, was there, either. In fact, the Palestinians base their claim of primacy in the issue of who's land is it chiefly on the lack of evidence of a Solomonic Age or Temple.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:31 pm
Mr. Zimmerman got the low down skinny on them' biblical dudes . . .

Well, God said to Abraham "Kill me a son"
Abe said "Man, you must be putting me on"
God said "No"
Abe said "What?"
God said "You do what you want to, Abe but
The next time you see me coming, you'd better run"
Abe said "Where do you want this killing done?"
God said "Out on that Highway 61"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:35 pm
Figure's that if anybody'd revisit that one, Set, it'd be good ol' Dylanesque you :cool:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:40 pm
Guess i shouldn't get stoned in the afternoon, huh?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:53 pm
Ev'rybody must get stoned. Specially if there's wimmen about an' its rainin' ... otherwise, you're jus' blowin' in the wind
0 Replies