Feeling Guilty for leaving my mom. Help!

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 01:40 am
I have been dating my boyfriend for what will be 4 years in September. He has recently joined the military & has asked me to marry him. I really love him & can't imagine living a life without him, he is my other half. Although I really want to follow him wherever his career may take him, I am also feeling really guilty.
My mother has been a single mom since the day I was born. I am an only child & it has always been just her and I.
I know that I am supposed to live my life & have my own experiences, but I am feeling really sad about leaving her behind.
I don't know how to feel? Am I crazy?

vikorr

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:42 am
@NaomiRae,
It's rather normal to feel sadness, or even grief, at an upcoming separation with someone you care about. The more important the person is to you, the greater the degree of emotion felt.

It's also normal to feel a little bit of guilt when it involves your mother.

Eventually, your relationship will modify to the new dynamic. Both of you will grow, and how you behave towards each other in the first few months after you each go your own way, will determine the nature of the relationship you have in future (ie. if you want her close, keep in regular contact...etc)

Best Wishes.

0 Replies