The media is misreporting this. This misogynist man deserves to go to jail.

Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 12:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
What???

You are becoming a bit too irrational for my taste, bob. First you say I am a cartoonist, then that I am Alexandre Dumas... Are you mad?
izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 02:06 am
@Olivier5,
There you go again deliberately misinterpreting something or just not understanding. I'm going with the latter.
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 03:04 am
@izzythepush,
Could you explain to your acolyte Bobsy that this is not about me, nor about a cartoon I drew or even posted? He tends to waste much too much attention on little me.

Just for the record, the discussion is (was?) about a Charlie Hebdo cartoon which YOU posted, in a version where the caption was deliberately cropped out by the Front National to introduce confusion. Based on this lie, you called a leftist and anti-racist publication racist, as if Bernie Sanders and millions other "Je Suis Charlie" people were conned to support a racist magazine...
izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 03:21 am
@Olivier5,
Whether or not the caption was "cropped out" by your National Front or whether or not it was just the image is academic.

It's not like anyone reads French anyway.

The image is racist, and no amount of mitigation or amelioration alters than one iota.

And yes French culture is more accepting of casual racism. The National Front is the 3rd largest party in France. Contrast that with the BNP that got a total of 1,667 votes nationally in 2015.

What you don't seem to understand is that, regardless of your culture, portraying black people as monkeys is always wrong.
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 04:51 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Whether or not the caption was "cropped out" by your National Front or whether or not it was just the image is academic.

The caption provides meaning, something you disregard a bit too often.

Quote:
It's not like anyone reads French anyway.

If you can't understand French, what qualifies you to make any judgement about a magazine you can't read?

Quote:
The image is racist, and no amount of mitigation or amelioration alters than one iota.

Back to Dumas being racist. We're turning around in circles now.

It's the meaning, the intention that counts, not the imagery.
izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 05:08 am
@Olivier5,
Dumas is a read herring you've thrown in. The image is racist, and no amount of captions/explanation changes that.
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
The Dumas anecdote is at the heart of this conversation. An image must be meaning something racist before it can be called racist. One should be entitled to mock racist imagery, including by quoting it. You tried to do it yourself by posting the cropped CH cartoon.
izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 06:14 am
@Olivier5,
Only if you're a ******* idiot who needs the flaming obvious explained to them.

It's very very simple, portraying black people as monkeys is always racist.
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 09:14 am
@izzythepush,
And yet Dumas and Charb did it, in both cases in a clearly anti-racist manner.

What about this cartoon by Eli Valley, representing Israelis and Palestinians as chimpanzees? Is it okay to portray Arabs and Jews as apes? Note that the Jewish Forward, which published the cartoon, later withdrew it. Do you think it's racist? It's about "white" people... :-)

In contrast with Charb and Dumas, Valley means it: Israelis and Arabs are portrayed as brutal beasts because they can't live in peace in the Middle East... So by my judgment, it is racist, or at least dehumanizing.

http://www.tcj.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/elivalleydawnchimpanzees.jpg
izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 09:36 am
@Olivier5,
I can't read your link, when I enlarge it, it becomes unreadable. I don't know enough about it to offer an opinion, it looked to me like chimpanzees were being portrayed as chimpanzees.

You're just looking for examples of cartoons that are more/less racist than Charlie Hebdo in an attempt to muddy the waters.

Charlie Hebdo portrayed a black politician as a monkey. There is no ambiguity there.
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
Google Eli Valley "Dawn of the chimpanzees". A bit gruesome as everything Valley does, his work looks like wood engravings on steroids, but the message is pretty good. He hates Cheney, Bush, Zionists and the likes.

Wonder what he got to say about Trump, come to think of it...

Yes, Charlie Hebdo portrayed a black politician as a monkey. That's a fact. They did so in an attempt to remind their readers of the fundamental racism of a Front National now portraying itself as "post-racist" under Marine Le Pen, and yet some of FN's blogs had compared the minister to an ape a few months before. The minister (Taubira) sued the FN but not Charlie Hebdo. She was in good terms with one of the CH cartoonist killed that day, Tignous. That's the fact in its context.

You can say that CH was reckless in this particular instance, that it should have avoided such an outrageous pic even as a way to lampoon Le Pen... But you can't say they are a racist publication. That's balooney.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:35 am
@Olivier5,
You are one short memoried git.

You seriously don't remember bring up Dumas to justify your posting of cartoon that compared the FLOTUS as a chimp?

Are you claiming the post wasn't something you supported?
Are you claiming that it was free speech (protected) because Alexander Dumas has used a similar image in one of his writing?
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:15 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I never ever posted a cartoon comparing Michelle Obama to a chimp, if she's the FLOTUS you're talking about. Nor about any other flotus for that matter... This is preposterous. Post it or STFU!

Edit: Oh, and it's not something Dumas wrote, but in a joke he once cracked. Ergo you're not even reading the material.

izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 02:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Now you're doing a Reasoning Logic, getting me to look at something he's come across to give you my opinion. I'm not doing that again.

And you know what I think about the Hebdo cartoon. Tell you what, if I ever change my opinion I'll send you a pm.

Don't hold your breath.
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 03:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
And you know what I think about the Hebdo cartoon.

Tasteless cartoon perhaps, but CH is not a racist publication.
izzythepush

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 03:21 pm
@Olivier5,
That's your opinion. It's not the only opinion.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 05:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Listen pinhead you and Dumas don't even belong in the same freaking sentence. Pull your head out of your fundement. You making any jesting reference to comparing any black person to a monkey makes YOU a ******* racist. You enjoyed your freaking joke at least be grown up enough to own up to the hate aspect of it.You are demeaning a class of of people and its called racism, dipshit.
hawkeye10

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 06:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
You are demeaning a class of of people and its called racism, dipshit.

So I will not be hearing you demean rich people anymore....right?
Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:31 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You have no idea what you are talking about... I NEVER MADE ANY SUCH A JOKE. You're a total fake and a compulsive liar. You can go back to sucking bears now.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:34 pm
@izzythepush,
It is the truth. Keep lying, sad ****.