The media is misreporting this. This misogynist man deserves to go to jail.

Olivier5

Wed 6 Jan, 2016 03:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Informative and insightful op-ed by Robert McLiam Wilson in the Guardian on the anniversary of Charlie Hebdo's attacks. The title and about half of the article rebut the lies spread by izzy and bobsal on this and other threads. I've cut those parts out, although they hit the nail on the head, and a few annecdotes, to focus on what is new and interesting (IMHFO). The link is below for those who care, and the whole piece well-worth reading.

Quote:
The scurrilous lies written about Charlie Hebdo

A year after the Charlie Hebdo killings, francophone writer Robert McLiam Wilson deplores the reports in English by the ignorant for the ignorant

Robert McLiam Wilson

Sunday 3 January 2016 00.03 GMT Last modified on Sunday 3 January 2016 10.00 GMT

The anniversary of the 7 January attack on Charlie Hebdo is coming up. Whether you feel that Charlie is a symbol of freedom of expression or a scabrous hate sheet, you are about to be deluged in a giant vat of stuff. Some will be positive, some negative but an oxen-stunning proportion of it will be written by people who do not speak French. The result will be divination and portent, written by people more likely to read tea leaves than Charlie Hebdo. Do I need to point out that this is a touch silly? [...]

A few days ago, I went into the new, secret-location, super-secure offices of Charlie. Being Northern Irish, security was not unfamiliar to me but this was on a different level. It was the villain’s lair in one of the dumber Bond films, hermetically sealed, massively protected. And yet inside was a typical small magazine set-up – not many people, untidy kitchen, debatable dress sense. And a bunch of gentle, humble, funny people that I adore. As always when I see Charlie people en masse, there’s a giant disconnect. I see a troupe of nerdy sweethearts surrounded by concentric rings of titanic security. They look like kittens in a bunker.

I’m tempted to say that this is now the world they live in. But that’s not what is interesting. The point is that this is now the world you live in. [...]

2015 was a black and wounding year for Parisians, the city is still slow and muted with grief. The sky feels lower; even the young seem old and weary. Paris has started to feel like Belfast to me. Which is horribly appropriate.

Because our new reality is the startling power of the micro-minority. There is one portion of the UK population who know this already. The Northern Irish portion. They spent three decades as part of a peaceful, democratic majority entirely dominated by the fissile futility of a few hundred people’s atavism and arrogance. They know that a handful of pitiless citizens can bring a country to a near standstill. They grew up knowing that, they drank it in with their mother’s milk. It’s uncomfortable knowledge and it can make us quite uncomfortable people to be around. You’re not going to get a whole lot of sunny political optimism from that bunch. The nicest of us just don’t tell the truth about it when we’re asked. I know I don’t.

I’m dreading this new 7 January. I’m dreading the confident diagnoses of the English-speaking world. Not that it really matters. You’ve mostly made up your mind about Charlie Hebdo, haven’t you? Which means you’ve made up your mind about me too. Good for you.

Moi, je ne suis pas Charlie. I don’t need to be. I write for them.

Robert McLiam Wilson is an award-winning writer. His novel Eureka Street is published by Secker & Warburg

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/03/charlie-hebdo-scurrilous-reports-by-non-french-speakers
bobsal u1553115

Wed 6 Jan, 2016 07:59 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
rebut the lies spread by izzy and bobsal on this and other threads

Why in the world are you stirring **** up? I've let it die, why can't you? You don't get it, you're not going to change so I've been an adult and let it die. Grow up.
Olivier5

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 01:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The parts I posted are not about the lies, they are about Charlie themselves and how they and how the rest of us cope.

Those lies were despicable. If you want to keep relaying them, that's your choice. If you want to "drop it", fine. If you want to apologize for relaying them, be my guest. I will keep saying the truth, whatever you do, and whatever the crowd barks at. Those guys died for freedom of speech. So i'm gona speak when i want to. Bite me.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:33 am
@Olivier5,
Anybody who disagrees with you is a liar, eh? Grow the **** up, you're the one continuing this crap and everybody except you is sick and tired of it.
Olivier5

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:08 am
@bobsal u1553115,
A lie is something that does not correspond to the truth. Period.

Saying that a most consistantly antiracist publication is racist - that is a lie. Period.

It just so happen that it was a lie forged by the National Front, and that you are thus relaying racist lies from the extreme right. Whether you agree or not, that's a FACT.

If you have any facts to provide, please do, otherwise shut up. Whether you or anyone is sick and tired of the issue is irrelevant. I am sick and tired of people spreading libel about terrorism victims too, you know?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:51 pm
For anyone still interested in this story, Gregory Elliot was acquitted of all charges.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3416078.1453494306!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/gregory-alan-elliott.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/twitter-harassment-trial-verdict-1.3415112
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 07:09 pm
Its the twitter world.
0 Replies