Failed to understand the nuance of the inverted sentence "Killed were 167 people"

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 03:18 am
Well, if I rewrite it as "167 people were killed", will there be any different in meaning?
I've remembered a grammatical rule: don't start with Arabic numbers. So using "killed" as the beginning of the sentence is to abide by the rule?

Context:

GROUP HATRED AND TERRORISM

On April 19, 1995, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols engineered the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Killed were 167 people, including 19 children. Subsequently, McVeigh was found guilty of the crime...

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 06:15 am
@oristarA,

It's a thing you see more in the USA than here in the UK. It seems to me more like a journalistic device, because of a wish to emphasise/ draw attention to the fact that there ware people killed.
oristarA

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 10:04 am
@McTag,
Thanks.
Is there indeed a grammatical rule: don't start with Arabic numbers?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 12:17 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

To prefer writing ordinal and cardinal numbers as words e.g. five million, six hundred and fifty, second, rather than 5,000,000, 650, 2nd, is a style preference rather than a rule. There is no rule about where in the sentence numbers or quantities may be.

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 01:28 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Excellent!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 03:43 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

Not that I am aware of.

TYN got it right. In text, words are preferred to (their equivalent expressed as) numbers.
0 Replies

johnharlin

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 06:02 pm
@McTag,
Yes, the difference is that there is more emphasis on the word Killed. It strikes out at you more. Grammar is used for emphasis as well as correct English.
0 Replies