How to get rid of fleas on your cat and in your rugs?

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:41 pm
I have a cat and he has never been outside but he is infested with fleas and now they live in my rugs. We've sprayed him with every flea killing product but nothing works.

roger

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:55 pm
@diamondr661,
Someone told me to spray the carpets and stuff with Shout, which I believe is a fabric treatment of some sort. It sounds odd, and I have never used it, so I remain skeptical. Fortunately, my area doesn't have much in the way of fleas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:11 pm
Somebody was putting snuff on their carpet last week.
roger

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Next week, they will be wanting to know how to remove the stains and odor.
edgarblythe

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 07:41 pm
@roger,
It has been over a week since the person mentioned doing it and has not complained about any bad affects from it.
RABEL222

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 05:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Flea powder and leave there for awhile. In a couple of days sweep it up. Worked for me, but I wouldent say I was expert. Call a bug outfit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 06:26 pm
I give my dog a pill that comes from the vet. He roams every inch of a pretty big yard, plus has a doggy door. And I never see a single flea. A few years ago, the fleas were epidemic here.
0 Replies

Ionus

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:16 pm
@diamondr661,
I dont believe in infestuous relationships so I suggest you pick up the fleas and throw them into the toilet . Be sure to flush it before sitting on it however, or you might make the problem worse . I shall now sit back and wait to get thumbed up and awarded the best answer .
roger

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:31 pm
@Ionus,
Just for what it's worth, you can wash fleas off of a cat or dog and they look kind of dead. Look in the wash tub a half later and you will discover they have been resurrected.
Ionus

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:35 pm
@roger,
Small insects have tiny holes in their shell that they breath through...head lice, fleas, body lice, pubic lice, scabbies, all can be knocked unconscious by ordinary soap that coats those holes . Wash, apply soap, allow to dry, then wash off . It doesnt kill them, but loosens their grip and they can be washed away .
0 Replies

Krumple

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:51 pm
@diamondr661,
diamondr661 wrote:

I have a cat and he has never been outside but he is infested with fleas and now they live in my rugs. We've sprayed him with every flea killing product but nothing works.

I used this trick many times in the past and it works very well. Take a bowl and fill it with very hot water. The water needs to be hot. Because the fleas see the heat as infrared and will move towards it, like a moth to a candle flame. They will actually jump off the cat and head towards the bowl if the water is hot enough. Also put a drop of soap on the surface to break the surface tension of the water. Otherwise when they jump into the water if the surface is not broken they will just jump right back off of it and the solution won't work.

Don't worry your cat wont try to drink the water because they will sense it's hot when they sniff it before attempting to drink it.

You will want to replace the hot water every 20 minutes or so. You don't have to do it all day long, just for a few hours a day to get the new hatching fleas as well.

You just have to be consistent and patient with it but it is a cheap less evasive method that works. I've used it many times in the past.
roger

Mon 20 Jul, 2015 11:18 pm
@Krumple,
Hey, I like it. Sure hope I never have to move back into flea territory, though.
0 Replies

Ionus

Tue 21 Jul, 2015 08:41 pm
@Krumple,
No way ! Last time I lit a fire in the lounge room to heat some water I got into all kinds of trouble .
Krumple

Tue 21 Jul, 2015 09:38 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

No way ! Last time I lit a fire in the lounge room to heat some water I got into all kinds of trouble .

You are not old enough to play with matches yet. Bet patient.
0 Replies