What is your interpretation of this song?

iLevan

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 08:51 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYsGWh_vpE

What is your interpretation of this song, and why do you feel this way? Thanks for your answers, I hope you enjoyed the song.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 09:22 pm
@iLevan,
I think it would have been better to use real musicians and although I suspect she has a nice voice, its done in a key she doesn't sound confident with. She deserved a better arrangement but then again, Im not a big fan of moody stuff especially when I can't tell what she's supposed to be unhappy about. But the equipment that they used to simulate real music was very distracting, I doubt much thought was given to the composition. It sounds like someone used a one size fits all approach.
chai2

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 09:45 pm
@glitterbag,
ditto on the equipment and voice.

Her voice was pitched way too high. I couldn't understand what she was saying, and eventually gave up.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:47 pm
@iLevan,
Portishead's music is very idiosyncratic, brooding and moody. Their musicians and music are very real. This song is from their first album which was critically acclaimed. The lyrics are thematically negative and lend to the music's noir nature.

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way
Regardless of what they say

How can it feel, this wrong
From this moment

Storm.. in the morning light
I feel
No more can I say
Frozen to myself

I got nobody on my side
And surely that ain't right
And surely that ain't right

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way

From this moment

[INSTRUMENTAL]

This moment

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way

From this moment

I like their music in moderation. It's too much of a downer to listen to an entire album of theirs in one sitting.
Tetty

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:52 pm
@iLevan,
It's clearly about a plan gone wrong. The rest is ambiguous so it can be personal - a romantic association or a parent wondering where they screwed up by their kid or a broader lament - why do we war, or fall to addiction?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 12:10 am
@InfraBlue,
I'm sure a musician performed somewhere, but this stuff is definitely not a group playing together or even arranged for this tune. At best its studio musicians(who are usually incredibly talented) but this was just slapped together in some studio by someone who doesn't know as much about music as they think they do. They used a guitar riff for parts, another sound clip for simulated drums, and I don't want to go back to listen again to point out the other gimmicks. The singer deserves better arrangements, you shouldn't assume others are not familiar with recording studios, which ones are good, and those who just fake it.

Lets not get too carried away about critically acclaimed, my son's BIL has a studio and works with many different styles of music, I'll send it to him and see what he thinks about the mixing and production. Quincy Jones actually worked with Madonna even though he didn't like her music, but he didn't short change her like the people who put his song together. Like I said, I think the singer has promise, even though I think this tune is derivative and mediocre, she needs new people to spotlight her talent, and she needs to avoid that key she was struggling with. Competent producers can bring out her best. I don't think this song did it.
Not because it was moody and vague, at best it was boring. I look forward to hearing her again when she gets better material, a good arrangement and a chance to work with people who can bring out her best.

And the lyrics are not idiosyncratic, if you want idiosyncratic, listen to the
Astroids Galaxy Tour "The Golden age", if thats too upbeat, get a copy of Jack Kerouac's Mexico City Blues, i think its still in publication with 242 drafted choruses. it's timeless. Im not apposed to artsy fartsy, good artsy fartsy i a treasure
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 08:51 am
@InfraBlue,
Ok, thanks InfraBule.

Now that I've read the lyrics, I'm thinking to myself "What's to interprete?"

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 09:55 am
@glitterbag,
Portishead are a musical group. They are not studio musicians. They didn't use simulated sound clips for drums on this song.

One thing is you not liking the song, another thing entirely, is you pulling these assumptions of yours out of who knows where.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well they sound like canned music, I didn't realize musicians actually tried to sound like computer generated sounds.

A lot big names started out as studio musicians, it's actually a compliment to your musical talent to work as a studio musician. Ever hear of Mussel Shoals? Their arrangements and backings are heard on recordings by Aretha Franklin, Wilson Picket, the Rolling Stones, Boz Scaggs, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Dr. Hook, Glenn Frey and countless others.

I didn't say I didn't like the singer, I think she might be terrific with the right people. I'll take your word that there are people actually playing together, but they really need to bring their A game, because they didn't shine on this tune, they were actually a distraction.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:31 pm
@iLevan,
I think it is a song about relationships, and a song about being safe at home, and a song about having financial security and friends... but no means to improve the nature of man.

I determine this because the song gives a feel of patient confidence at the beginning and immediately begins the lyrics with the presentation of conflict endlessly pressing for the audience to consider a cause, conflict or personal resolve. She refuses to change the topic. SO I assume it is a real issue, with many significant undertones. ONe of the first three.
0 Replies

EddyP

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:09 am
@iLevan,
To me it sounds like an emotional journey in someone's mind. Personally I think it's one person looking back at a emotional journey they had in their life and they are playing it almost as a film/story in their head.

Really well written song, I think the earlier comments are correct. She's singing in a key she isn't confident her voice isn't strong enough; Instrumentals are fantastic.

I do love a bit of Portishead!
0 Replies