Stop pressing the panic button

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:47 pm
Excellent discussion.

Quote:
Redheat wrote:
The problem with this scenerio is that the "well defined" actions should be apparent by now.

Why? We're talking about a million little actions here, each of which is well under the average citizen's radar screen. Someplace in the middle of nowhere, a power plant is protected by 50 guards instead of 20. Someplace else, a bridge is visited by a police patrol five times a day instead of once. On some highway, one of every 100 cars instead of one in every 200 cars is being randomly controlled. I see no reason why this would be apparent to you.

Well, I'm not so sure this is true, given the massive cuts in state funding that happened last and this year. Here in Texas we are having a problem paying for the security and safety personnel levels we had in place BEFORE 9/11, let alone afterwards.

I'm having a hard time finding specific links for this issue (the ones I pull up keep being rather tangential, but I know I read a great piece on this last week) so give me a little time and I'll come back with more info. on my position.

In the meantime, here's a piece on nuclear plant security (2 years old tho.)

http://www.pogo.org/p/environment/eo-020901-nukepower.html

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:58 pm
Thomas wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Furthermore, it it were all a sham to provide only the appearance of security, I would not hear as many news items about terror funds being traced, suspects being arrested, and terror plots being discovered on time.

Why not? It's easy to trace funds on the suspicion that they're being used by terrorists, easy to suspect people and arrest them, easy to trumpet the discovery of terror plots. Consider how little evidence was produced for the "dirty bomb" plot, and how little we hear about the yet-uncaught Anthrax terrorist, who is known to be somewhere out there still.

If the effort were an insincere sham, one wouldn't hear about a lot of results, such as organizations being shut down and people being arrested for funnelling money to terrorists, or would-be bombers being caught before they have the chance to put their schemes into effect, or major shakeups in government departments, such as the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security. By choosing the Padilla case as an example, you merely chose one of the weaker ones.

Thomas wrote:
That leaves you with your other two points, which basically boil down to 'I trust the Bush Administration based on the other things it did'.

I said that:

(1) My own analysis tells me that there is danger where they say there is.
(2) When they speak, they tend to echo thoughts I have already had, which causes me to suspect that their beliefs and motivations may be similar to mine.

How does this boil down to the idea that I merely trust them?
0 Replies