Stop pressing the panic button

au1929

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:46 am
Stop pressing the panic button

Memo to Tom Ridge: Ya know, pal, when you've got nothing to say, you're better off not saying it. All morning long yesterday, the American people were getting themselves solemnly braced for this imminently forthcoming appearance by Homeland Security Chief Ridge, slated to make some announcement of the gravest and grimmest national urgency. And what did we get? "We lack precise knowledge about time, place and method of attack." Or, to put it another way, we don't know anything.

Even Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, ever the dependable administration drumbeater, had to allow that there's "no reason for panic or paralysis." Apparently not: Much more time was spent talking about the new bells-and-whistles Homeland Security command center than about the calamity everyone swears will befall us. Well, not everyone. Said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly: "We do not think another attack is inevitable."

Look, Tom. The American people know there's a security threat. But this stuff - yup yup yup, credible reporting, operational phase, gonna have a terrorist attack probably, sometime, someplace, but we're not raising the threat level anyway - contributes not much to the dialogue. You know what it mostly does? It mostly just gives critics of President Bush, of whom there are many, more reason to think his administration is entirely willing to play the homeland-security card purely to glom a few headlines when the public is otherwise hearing about, say, Sen. John Kerry's choice of a running mate.

By the way, what ever happened to those seven-most-wanted characters Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI chief Robert Mueller trotted out a while back? An update on their whereabouts would have been more valuable than yesterday's dog-and-pony show.

Okay, Tom? We already know the bad guys are going to try to hit us again, somewhere, sometime. We're all scared to death. We hate living like this. When you've got some actual specific information about something, for God's sake, tell us. You bet we'll listen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,299 • Replies: 41
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
I would rather the left complain about too many warnings than not enough.

Keep up the good work.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
What's the "alert color" for the weekend?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:59 am
McGentrix
What is that story about the little boy who cried wolf. Should we be on the alert at all times or only when the government issues a warning? There should be constant reminders that a terrorist attack is a possibility at any time. This heightened alert BS is just that, BS.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:03 am
Perhaps it is just BS. But an awful lot of people were whinning and crying about "Why weren't we warned?" after 9/11. They are getting what they wanted.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:04 am
McGentrix wrote:
I would rather the left complain about too many warnings than not enough.

Keep up the good work.

What good is a warning with NO information? Isn't it odd that the warnings always coincide with something the administration doesn't want people to see? or in this case they are building up the Al Qaeda link for their July surprise.

The goal is to keep everyone on constant "fear alert". It's not reassuring to know that after almost 3 years that they still don't give you a plan, tell you what to really expect but instead give a all encompassing terror warning that makes it appear as though we aren't all ready on alert.

Plus what exactly do we have for our money? A color fear system that is laughable, a duct tape chemical attack plan and such visionary suggestions as looking for people who are "Too calm" as opposed to someone looking around a lot. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:17 am
No, the goal is to keep everyone ALERT AND INFORMED.

Why is that so hard to understand?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:21 am
fishin'
There is a difference between no warning at all and constant heightened alerts. At this point we should be on heightened alert at all times. Why? Because homeland security hasn't the slightest idea of when, where or even if a terrorist attack will occur.
These heightened alerts are CYA actions and an effort to show that your government is protecting you, and yes are politically motivated. Meanwhile our borders are a sieve and can be broached with ease. We are still an easy target.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:42 am
McGentrix wrote:

I understand just fine however where do you get "informed"?

The terror warnings given are all the same " We know an attack could be coming, but don't know when, where, how or what you should do to prepare"

I guess we have a different idea of what informed is, then again I take it you're a Bush supporter. nuff said.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:47 am
McGentrix wrote:

Thats not hard to understand at all, it makes perfect sense. The point is that we are already "alert". As for informed, we know that there are bad people out there that want to hurt us [duh!].

But DON'T do a press conference that basically says "We're in danger, but we don't know where, when, or how its going to happen". Thats just bullsh*t.

Alot of the criticism on 9-11 would be moot if they only said "our airports and planes may be a target for attack in the coming weeks/months... stay alert". THATS more along the lines of what we need. Not blanket "be scared!" statements. I'm looking forward to the day when we just get rid of the whole "color code" warning system. Its a total waste.

When they find information about a possible attack (with at least some sort of specific information), then tell us. Otherwise, Ridge should just shut the f*ck up already. We're just going to get sick of it and start to ignore the warnings (as I've done already).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:48 am
au1929 wrote:
These heightened alerts are CYA actions and an effort to show that your government is protecting you, and yes are politically motivated. Meanwhile our borders are a sieve and can be broached with ease. We are still an easy target.

I'm sure that the alerts are a CYA in part. The complaints about the lack of alerts previously and the issuing of alerts now are also politically motivated. What's good for the goose...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:59 am
WASHINGTON: Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge today announced the appointment of a new spokesman, in charge of informing the public of terrorist threats.

http://www.tigersweat.com/images/anim15.jpg

Remain calm! All is well!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:02 am
au1929 wrote:
fishin'

The government isn't protecting me, it is protecting itself.

These vague terror alerts don't make us any safer. They are designed to instill a cloud of fear that will make us want a more hawkish governement with less regard for liberties.

The more afraid they can keep the American people, the more likely Bush will win.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:04 am
fishin' wrote:
au1929 wrote:

I'm sure that the alerts are a CYA in part. The complaints about the lack of alerts previously and the issuing of alerts now are also politically motivated. What's good for the goose...

That doesn't make sense.

First there were NO warnings prior to 9.11, none to the American public but more importanly none to the Airlines and their staff. There was no readiness at NORAD, no plans NOTHING. You can hardly dismiss this kind of failure as mere whining.

Now we know we are in danger, we get it! We are alert if we get anymore alert we will have our freaking eyes bulging out of our heads. So NOW we are aware of the danger, so if you are going to warn us give us some specifics.

If they are going to try and attack during the elections, then how will they do it? What specifically can I do as a citizen to help? Are we too be looking at nuclear plants? water suppliers? I all ready get about suspecious people, luggage etc... what NEW things do I need to know NOW?

The terror warnings are nothing more then a convenient diversionary tactic for the administration. If someone questions them you get the kind of responses we are seeing by fishin. "What more do you want? they are damned if they do damned if they don't". I'll give you that it's a fine line to walk but wouldn't the ability to walk it well give you an indication of the leadership? Isn't that what being a leader is supposed to be about? Don't hide behind simplistic excuses but come up with some real answers.

What have we gotten so far?

We have general alerts that do nothing but place fear and not just plain boredom since they offer nothing new

We have a color code system that means nothing. We are always on yellow and now and then go to orange but ask the average American what they need to do different from yellow to orange and they won't have a clue.

We got the whole duct tape plastic fiasco

Then recently we get the "duh" list for readiness which included the truly asnine comment about watching out for people who are too calm. What in the hell does that mean? It's the 4th of July long weekend and I'm supposed to be looking out for people who are "too calm" I mean really what the F!

So until such time as they can offer us something that we DON'T ALL READY KNOW ( and we didn't know prior to 9.11 but do now) then save it. We get that we could be attacked any moment. We get that we need to go about our daily activities. We get that we need to be alert, so if you don't have anything to add to that then shut the F*** up! all ready
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:15 am
Redheat wrote:
First there were NO warnings prior to 9.11, none to the American public but more importanly none to the Airlines and their staff. There was no readiness at NORAD, no plans NOTHING. You can hardly dismiss this kind of failure as mere whining.

No. But I can dismiss all of the whinning that has gone on since 9/11.

Quote:
If they are going to try and attack during the elections, then how will they do it? What specifically can I do as a citizen to help? Are we too be looking at nuclear plants? water suppliers? I all ready get about suspecious people, luggage etc... what NEW things do I need to know NOW?

Who said anyone wanted YOU to do anything?

Quote:
The terror warnings are nothing more then a convenient diversionary tactic for the administration.

And you crying about the warnings is nothing more than pure political BS.

Quote:
We have a color code system that means nothing. We are always on yellow and now and then go to orange but ask the average American what they need to do different from yellow to orange and they won't have a clue.

Perhaps the average person doesn't really know what they mean because they aren't intended for them. Go walk down to your local police department and ask your Chief of Police if THEY know what they mean and if they do anything in response to changes in the alerts. I'd bet there isn't a law enforcement office in this country that doesn't have a little checklist of items to do as the alert levesl change.

Quote:

Apparently most people didn't "get the duct tape plastic fiasco" since all they did was mock it.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:53 am
fishin' wrote:
Redheat wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
The terror warnings are nothing more then a convenient diversionary tactic for the administration.

Quote:

Perhaps the average person doesn't really know what they mean because they aren't intended for them. Go walk down to your local police department and ask your Chief of Police if THEY know what they mean and if they do anything in response to changes in the alerts. I'd bet there isn't a law enforcement office in this country that doesn't have a little checklist of items to do as the alert levesl change.

Quote:

Apparently most people didn't "get the duct tape plastic fiasco" since all they did was mock it.

Quote:

So the point of the warnings is too tell us we're bascially F***ed? Tom Ridge marches out and tells us " you're going to get it (because we have bunkers) and we just thought you would like to know" Rolling Eyes

Quote:

What are you catgorizing as "whining", actual questions surrounding the failures of 9.11? The questions regarding nothing being planned prior to 9.11? The questions with NORAD readiness prior to 9.11? What exactly do you think is whining? and what would be legitmate concerns in your eyes. You may want to remove the rose colored glasses for they have a smear of brown before you look. Very Happy

Quote:
And you crying about the warnings is nothing more than pure political BS

Crying? I'm not crying just pointing out the obvious. Name one time that a warning hasn't coincided with an event the administration wanted to take focus off of. Hell Ashcroft has taken to just making the damn things up! and the liberal press was all over that one weren't they?

Quote:

Actually the local police Chief is getting a little tired of it too. See they have to shell out extra money for those "orange alerts" and it's putting even more burden on an all ready burdened local community. It's something like an added million dollars everytime we go up to "orange"

Again you seem to be working off the premise that the warnings only responsibility is to inform you that your are f***ed and sorry about your luck, but hang in there, go about your daily activities and when we get hit well it won't be our fault because we told you something someday was going to happen. I believe we could refer to these as the "I'm just covering my ass but I'm not doing a damn thing" terror warnings.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:16 am
Redheat wrote:
So the point of the warnings is too tell us we're bascially F***ed? Tom Ridge marches out and tells us " you're going to get it (because we have bunkers) and we just thought you would like to know" Rolling Eyes

No. The point of the warning is to ensure that everyone that DOES have something to do gets the word. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What are you catgorizing as "whining", actual questions surrounding the failures of 9.11? The questions regarding nothing being planned prior to 9.11? The questions with NORAD readiness prior to 9.11? What exactly do you think is whining? and what would be legitmate concerns in your eyes. You may want to remove the rose colored glasses for they have a smear of brown before you look. Very Happy

And where exactly are those actual questions? Lets see, so afr we have "The terror warnings are nothing more then a convenient diversionary tactic for the administration." and "We have a color code system that means nothing. We are always on yellow and now and then go to orange but ask the average American what they need to do different from yellow to orange and they won't have a clue." I don't see any "actual questions" in either of those. Just ill-informed nonsense.

Quote:
Crying? I'm not crying just pointing out the obvious. Name one time that a warning hasn't coincided with an event the administration wanted to take focus off of.

And you have direct evidence that proves that this is exactly what has happened? You've been sitting around in the back of all those meetings and overheard the actual discussions? Or is just more of your typical ill-informed opinion on what's going on?

Quote:
Actually the local police Chief is getting a little tired of it too. See they have to shell out extra money for those "orange alerts" and it's putting even more burden on an all ready burdened local community. It's something like an added million dollars everytime we go up to "orange"

What? How could he possibly be spending more money?????? You said no one knew what to do! If he's spending money then he must be doing somthing when those alert levels change. Thanks for demonstrating my point. Wink

Quote:
Again you seem to be working off the premise that the warnings only responsibility is to inform you that your are f***ed and sorry about your luck, but hang in there, go about your daily activities and when we get hit well it won't be our fault because we told you something someday was going to happen. I believe we could refer to these as the "I'm just covering my ass but I'm not doing a damn thing" terror warnings.

No. I'm working off the premise that if there is something that is specific to you the word would get out to you from the local authorities in your area that have the responsibility for doing so. If you aren't hearing anything from anyone in your local area then it's entirely possible that the threats don't have anything to do with your area. Believe it or not, Tom Ridge isn't going to get on TV and adrress each and every person in this country individually. As much as you might like to think so, it isn't all about you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:36 am
Quote:
Quote:

No, it isn't.

The 'warning system' they use right now is nothing more than a dog-and-pony show designed to show the American people that something is being done by this new department that was created.

It draws attention away from the fact that our cities and states are woefully unprepared to deal with the realities of a terrorist attack; we don't have the money to properly train and equip our emergency personnel, all over America, because of the budget shortfalls this year that were passed on to the state level.

It's a sham, nothing more. For years, alerts and warnings have been given out to those who need to be alert (emergency personnel etc.) without large press conferences, and they still could be - but the sound bytes are so nice for the admin, so it can point to the OHS and say 'look, we're doing something.'

There's nothing political about my complaints. I just think that if we are going to be spending money on security, we should actually become more secure in the process, and not just more scared....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:12 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The 'warning system' they use right now is nothing more than a dog-and-pony show designed to show the American people that something is being done by this new department that was created.

The warning system derived from recommendations made by the Hart-Rudman Commission that was chartered by President Clintion as was the entire Dept. of Homeland Security.

Quote:
It's a sham, nothing more. For years, alerts and warnings have been given out to those who need to be alert (emergency personnel etc.) without large press conferences, and they still could be - but the sound bytes are so nice for the admin, so it can point to the OHS and say 'look, we're doing something.'

One of the key findings of that commission was that the existing communications systems were inadeqate and incompatible and many offices never got the word at the local levels so a braoder national level system of notification was needed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:20 am
I'm willing to admit, Fishin, that the alert system was envisioned and put in place by those who really and truly want to help America.

I just don't think that it is the most efficient way to spend our money - and it's a lot of money - when our front line troops (emergency services personnel) cannot get the training and equipment they need to effectively DEAL with an attack.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies