Stop pressing the panic button

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
Fishn Wrote:

Quote:
No. The point of the warning is to ensure that everyone that DOES have something to do gets the word.

Confused First you claim it's not for YOU, now you say it is. Or at least I think that's what you were trying to say.

Quote:
And where exactly are those actual questions? Lets see, so afr we have "The terror warnings are nothing more then a convenient diversionary tactic for the administration." and "We have a color code system that means nothing. We are always on yellow and now and then go to orange but ask the average American what they need to do different from yellow to orange and they won't have a clue." I don't see any "actual questions" in either of those. Just ill-informed nonsense.

Which time are you referring to? Pre 9.11 or Post 9.11? I'm sorry but it's a bit confusing because you keep jumping back and forth. I was referring to the questions surrounding pre 9.11. Now the only questions I have is what have you done? Why are local first responders still unprepared? underfunded? Where have all our tax dollars gone? and who in the hell keeps giving Ridge these asnine ideas!

Quote:
And you have direct evidence that proves that this is exactly what has happened? You've been sitting around in the back of all those meetings and overheard the actual discussions? Or is just more of your typical ill-informed opinion on what's going on?

Nothing as complex as that, see I PAY ATTENTION. Usually it is in front of a cabinet leader leaving. There are a number of occassions that can be pointed to where something negative was about to come out and at that moment there was another vague, general, and uninformative terror warning. You can say it's not true, but fact remains that not one warning has really done anything but instill fear. It's like telling you 3 months each year that you're going to die. You don't know when, how or what you can do to prevent it only that there is a good chance that soon you will kick the bucket. This is the same thing. They are telling a group of Americans every time they do this that they will die because if we get attacked some people will die. They don't know when, how or ever what you can do about it they just want to remind you that yes you will die and it's not their fault. Now I'm not supposed to ask, "well what in the F*** good does this do me?" or "What exactly have you done to help me"? because to me it seems no one is asking this.

Quote:
What? How could he possibly be spending more money?????? You said no one knew what to do! If he's spending money then he must be doing somthing when those alert levels change. Thanks for demonstrating my point.

Ah "He's" not spending the money that's the point Rolling Eyes The local authorities and states are spending the money. Money they don't have. What point do you think I demonstrated? It's a waste! They don't give them specifics they just have a general plan and each time it goes to orange it costs lots of money. For what?

Quote:
No. I'm working off the premise that if there is something that is specific to you the word would get out to you from the local authorities in your area that have the responsibility for doing so. If you aren't hearing anything from anyone in your local area then it's entirely possible that the threats don't have anything to do with your area. Believe it or not, Tom Ridge isn't going to get on TV and adrress each and every person in this country individually. As much as you might like to think so, it isn't all about you.

You honestly believe that pile of steaming cow feces? I live in FL I can't even get the Gov. to tell me the truth about why all those people are getting purged from the voter rolls!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:37 am
Yes, Ridge should come right and say "We've been watching Abdullah and Omar Ali who live on 142 W. Main Street and they have been in contact wish Muhamad Abu 6 times in the past week. They have purchased material that could be made into a bomb. Also, the CIA has been monitoring their Internet activity and have discovered they visit al Qaeda websites like www.Ihate America.jihad.com and we have leads on many others. From what we understand, Abdullah and Omar are planning an attack on the mall 3 blocks down the road from them some time in the next 2 months. But, now that we have told you, America, everything we know, those plans may now change. Thank you, goodnight."

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:49 am
The country is vulnerable. The borders and ports are porous. The usefulness of the system of warnings is debatable.

However, the current administration's political opponents will try to crucify them no matter what they do or don't do. If there were a very damaging terrorist attack and it was later revealed that the government had suspected something was coming, but didn't warn the people, the Democrats would insist that hearings be held. There would be increased talk of impeachment, and replacing or even prosecuting security officials. Every word and phrase the administration had uttered leading up to the event would be scrutinized for anything that could possibly be interpreted as a falsehood. Under these circumstances, it is ludicrous to blame the administration for covering themselves by over-warning the people.

Since there really are people who are trying to kill us, and since there are technologies which make it possible for a terrorist to kill a lot of people all at once, personally, I think it is immensely stupid for us to spend so much of our energy pointing fingers at each other, rather than at the external enemy. The fact is that the attacks on the administration are so numerous and vehement, that it must be immensely tempting for them to take a restrained, politically correct approach to everything.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:53 am
McGentrix wrote:
Yes, Ridge should come right and say "We've been watching Abdullah and Omar Ali who live on 142 W. Main Street and they have been in contact wish Muhamad Abu 6 times in the past week. They have purchased material that could be made into a bomb. Also, the CIA has been monitoring their Internet activity and have discovered they visit al Qaeda websites like www.Ihate America.jihad.com and we have leads on many others. From what we understand, Abdullah and Omar are planning an attack on the mall 3 blocks down the road from them some time in the next 2 months. But, now that we have told you, America, everything we know, those plans may now change. Thank you, goodnight."

Rolling Eyes

Is that your contention? because it's not mine. So if its not yours who would you be applying this scenerio to?

Like I said it's a fine line but a real leader would learn how to walk it after over 2 years. Plus that amount of information should be passed onto the local authorities and as far as I know it's still not being done. Or you could say that he could walk out and say we have arrested "_____" who lived at "________" because we believe he was part of a plan to attack "________" place.

I don't need to know that we could be attacked, I know this! I don't need to know it could happen anyday, I know this! I don't need to know to stay alert, I all ready am alert!

What I could use is a plan for every contingency. If it's another plane what should I look for? what is the protocol? what's being done?

Besides do you honestly think that the terrorist will strike when we are on "alert" or when we are inbetween our annual fear inciting days? Why would they strike on July 4th? We've been on "orange" the last couple. Could they strike before the election? yes there's a good chance but I want to know what's being done, what needs to be done and if there anyone I should be looking out for. It's a bit inconsistent don't you think since they have issued pictures of suspected terrorist. BTW what happened to them anyway? were they caught? are they still a threat? What's the story?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:54 am
Redheat wrote:
Quote:
No. The point of the warning is to ensure that everyone that DOES have something to do gets the word.

Confused First you claim it's not for YOU, now you say it is. Or at least I think that's what you were trying to say.

Where did I say it is? I've very clearly outlined that the warnings are not for YOU personaly. They are for people who are the first responders, police, firee, Emergency Managenement, etc.. Those are the people that DO have things they are supposed to be doing.

Quote:
Which time are you referring to? Pre 9.11 or Post 9.11? I'm sorry but it's a bit confusing because you keep jumping back and forth. I was referring to the questions surrounding pre 9.11. Now the only questions I have is what have you done? Why are local first responders still unprepared? underfunded? Where have all our tax dollars gone? and who in the hell keeps giving Ridge these asnine ideas!

If those are the only questions you have then why have you been in this thread questioing the usefullness of the alerts?

Quote:
Nothing as complex as that, see I PAY ATTENTION. Usually it is in front of a cabinet leader leaving. There are a number of occassions that can be pointed to where something negative was about to come out and at that moment there was another vague, general, and uninformative terror warning. You can say it's not true, but fact remains that not one warning has really done anything but instill fear.

So what you "know" for fact is because you pay attention to stories based on rumours, conspiracy theories and news releases from Moveon.org and CommonDreams.or. I see...

Quote:
Ah "He's" not spending the money that's the point Rolling Eyes The local authorities and states are spending the money. Money they don't have. What point do you think I demonstrated? It's a waste! They don't give them specifics they just have a general plan and each time it goes to orange it costs lots of money. For what?

Your local Chief of Police isn't a local authority? How can he not be spending money yet local authorities are and you said earlier that he was complaining about the cost? Which is it here? You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
You honestly believe that pile of steaming cow feces? I live in FL I can't even get the Gov. to tell me the truth about why all those people are getting purged from the voter rolls!

Can't get him to tell you? Or can't get him to say what you want him to say?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
The country is vulnerable. The borders and ports are porous. The usefulness of the system of warnings is debatable.

However, the current administration's political opponents will try to crucify them no matter what they do or don't do. If there were a very damaging terrorist attack and it was later revealed that the government had suspected something was coming, but didn't warn the people, the Democrats would insist that hearings be held. There would be increased talk of impeachment, and replacing or even prosecuting security officials. Every word and phrase the administration had uttered leading up to the event would be scrutinized for anything that could possibly be interpreted as a falsehood. Under these circumstances, it is ludicrous to blame the administration for covering themselves by over-warning the people.

Since there really are people who are trying to kill us, and since there are technologies which make it possible for a terrorist to kill a lot of people all at once, personally, I think it is immensely stupid for us to spend so much of our energy pointing fingers at each other, rather than at the external enemy. The fact is that the attacks on the administration are so numerous and vehement, that it must be immensely tempting for them to take a restrained, politically correct approach to everything.

The difference is between walking around in a flame retardent suit for the rest of your life just in case you're in a fire? and taking measures to insure your home is sound and safe to prevent a fire. You seem to be implying that the administration must constanly come out in say there's a threat just in case so they can cover their ass but they don't have to actually do anything to prevent the attack.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
Kerry isn't too concerned with national security, just hangin' with Whoopi.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
Redheat wrote:
The difference is between walking around in a flame retardent suit for the rest of your life just in case you're in a fire? and taking measures to insure your home is sound and safe to prevent a fire. You seem to be implying that the administration must constanly come out in say there's a threat just in case so they can cover their ass but they don't have to actually do anything to prevent the attack.

No, they need to do a great deal to prevent such attacks. Since you can't guard every target against every form of attack 24 x 7 for the rest of eternity, some of what they do will have to be offensive, even though much of it must also be defensive.

What I am saying is that (a) the constant attempt to pin anything on someone that can be made to stick would force most people into CYA mode, and (b) it is moronic to spend so much energy trying to blame each other when people are trying to kill us and have a realistic chance of succeeding.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:04 pm
Quote:
it is moronic to spend so much energy trying to blame each other when people are trying to kill us and have a realistic chance of succeeding.

No, it's moronic to spend so much MONEY covering our asses when it could be better spent elsewhere.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
fishin says:

Quote:
Where did I say it is? I've very clearly outlined that the warnings are not for YOU personaly. They are for people who are the first responders, police, firee, Emergency Managenement, etc.. Those are the people that DO have things they are supposed to be doing.

I don't think they are for ME personally Laughing If they are for first responders etc... then why am I seeing it on CNN? What's the point? Or are you saying that this is the only way they have to communicate to these agencies ? Confused

Quote:
If those are the only questions you have then why have you been in this thread questioing the usefullness of the alerts?

Confused have you missed everything I've written?

Quote:
So what you "know" for fact is because you pay attention to stories based on rumours, conspiracy theories and news releases from Moveon.org and CommonDreams.or. I see...

No offense but you don't seem to "see" but quite the contrary. Plus what exactly was the point Confused

Quote:
Your local Chief of Police isn't a local authority? How can he not be spending money yet local authorities are and you said earlier that he was complaining about the cost? Which is it here? You can't have it both ways.

huh?

Quote:
Can't get him to tell you? Or can't get him to say what you want him to say?

Laughing huh? What I want him to say is that he's restored all the purged voters who were purged by mistake (which have not been) what I want him to say is that there will be a paper trail. What I want him to say is to explain why the # of people supposed to be put on the voters rolls and the # actually there are so dramtically different.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:07 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
it is moronic to spend so much energy trying to blame each other when people are trying to kill us and have a realistic chance of succeeding.

....it's moronic to spend so much MONEY covering our asses when it could be better spent elsewhere.

Cycloptichorn

Possibly so, but that doesn't mean that it is not, as I said, moronic to spend most of our energy squabbling internally when we face a very lethal external threat.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Redheat wrote:

No, they need to do a great deal to prevent such attacks. Since you can't guard every target against every form of attack 24 x 7 for the rest of eternity, some of what they do will have to be offensive, even though much of it must also be defensive.

What I am saying is that (a) the constant attempt to pin anything on someone that can be made to stick would force most people into CYA mode, and (b) it is moronic to spend so much energy trying to blame each other when people are trying to kill us and have a realistic chance of succeeding.

a) I don't get what that meant. You almost seem to be implying that nobody should be held accountable.

b) Yes it would be moronic to do that but that has little to do with the issue at hand. People are trying to kill us true, so what's being done? You admit the borders are still open and there are HUGE GAPING holes in security around chemical plants, water plants and nuclear plants. Are you advocating that we shiver in fear instead of ask what in the hell is being done?

There's a difference between asking questions that should be answered, holding people accountable for failing to do their job and just pointing fingers.

Does anyone have a clue what Tom Ridge has accomplished since taking office? What money has been doled out? Where did it go? Why do we still have such security holes? That's not "pointing fingers" that's asking questions that I think should be answered.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:24 pm
It is very reasonable to ask what is being done to protect us, and question what is being done. I contend, however, that there is a gigantic attempt to simply pin anything possible on the administration, and to scrutinize everything they do and say, in order to look for anything that could possibly be distorted to condemn them. They cannot much be blamed for always being on the defensive and over-warning us under these circumstances. It is not moronic to question the security policy, but it is unforgivably moronic to spend this amount of energy trying to find things to condemn each other for while people are trying to kill us.

I would imagine that some of what Ridge has done is in the public domain, and could be found, even if it is not on the front page of the paper every day.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
I have a hypothetical question for you, Redheat:

If Fishin and Brandon were right; if the system of terror alerts worked as the administration claims it does; if every change in the alert level triggered specific, well defined action by the agencies who try to keep the country secure; if it all worked reasonably -- how would the observable facts look differently to you than they do now?

I also have a hypothetical question for Fishin and Brandon:

If Redheat was right; if the system of terror alerts was nothing but a dirty trick to make Americans as scared as the government wants them to be; if Tom Ridge was nothing but a pompous fake -- how would the observable facts look differently to you than they do now?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:33 pm
Thomas wrote:
I also have a hypothetical question for Fishin and Brandon:

If Redheat was right; if the system of terror alerts was nothing but a dirty trick to make Americans as scared as the government wants them to be; if Tom Ridge was nothing but a pompous fake -- how would things look differently to you than they do now?

First of all, my own evaluation of the situation causes me to believe that we have plenty of reason to be scared of the things of which we are being told to be scared. Furthermore, it it were all a sham to provide only the appearance of security, I would not hear as many news items about terror funds being traced, suspects being arrested, and terror plots being discovered on time. Also, since most of the people in the administration tend to say the things that I believe, it is natural for me to suspect that they are motivated by the real concerns that motivate me. Also, although airport security is probably still a joke, it seems to me that the government is trying.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:37 pm
Thanks, Brandon! I'll follow up, but I'd like to hear Redheat's and Fishin's take first.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:38 pm
Quote:
If Fishin and Brandon were right; if the system of terror alerts worked as the administration claims it does; if every change in the alert level triggered specific, well defined action by the agencies who try to keep the country secure; if it all worked reasonably -- how would the observable facts look differently to you than they do now?

The problem with this scenerio is that the "well defined" actions should be apparent by now. Plus the general alert should have little to do with the Homeland Security office's ability to inform every state and local authority of a major threat. If Tom Ridge's only recours is to inform local authorities of a threat via general and vague warnings then we are in deep doo doo and need to rethink the billions of dollars we are putting into that department.

If the agencies working to keep America secure were actually fullfilling that job then what advantage would going on National TV to espouse general warnings do to help them? Wouldn't their part in securing us be separate from the general warnings coming to us by the media? Shouldn't there be in place an automatic response to warnings that wouldn't need for them to recieve them via CNN? Plus wouldn't their information and shouldn't their information consist of specific plans and contingencies for specific threats that we/they should prepare for?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
Thomas wrote:
Thanks, Brandon! I'll follow up, but I'd like to hear Redheat's and Fishin's take first.

I should add that I would guess some of homeland security is probably PR, but that the administration is really very frightened of the threat and is trying to figure out how to protect the country.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
I'm at work, and I'd better get back to it. I will probably return from time to time, but I would ask that people who agree with me continue my side of this debate.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:36 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Furthermore, it it were all a sham to provide only the appearance of security, I would not hear as many news items about terror funds being traced, suspects being arrested, and terror plots being discovered on time.

Why not? It's easy to trace funds on the suspicion that they're being used by terrorists, easy to suspect people and arrest them, easy to trumpet the discovery of terror plots. Consider how little evidence was produced for the "dirty bomb" plot, and how little we hear about the yet-uncaught Anthrax terrorist, who is known to be somewhere out there still. That leaves you with your other two points, which basically boil down to 'I trust the Bush Administration based on the other things it did'.

Redheat wrote:
The problem with this scenerio is that the "well defined" actions should be apparent by now.

Why? We're talking about a million little actions here, each of which is well under the average citizen's radar screen. Someplace in the middle of nowhere, a power plant is protected by 50 guards instead of 20. Someplace else, a bridge is visited by a police patrol five times a day instead of once. On some highway, one of every 100 cars instead of one in every 200 cars is being randomly controlled. I see no reason why this would be apparent to you.

Redheat wrote:
Plus the general alert should have little to do with the Homeland Security office's ability to inform every state and local authority of a major threat.

But what's the difference between sending an e-mail to thousands of different authorities and giving a press conference about the new alert level? The news will leak out anyway, so why not put it out in public in the first place? If you were Tom Ridge, how would you communicate these things?
0 Replies