Should Students be taught Math

Foofie

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Quote:
Should Students be taught Math

No, they should be taught Maths. (Lights blue touch paper and legs it.)

http://plus.maths.org

I think it is a British website.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:34 am
Should students even be taught? At the risk of waxing serious, I think teachers should be guides who supply learners with the necessary tools to do their own explorations and make their own discoveries, while letting them know what has gone before so as to prevent them wasting their time reinventing the wheel. Better yet is when teachers and learners explore and discover together, rather than teachers pumping pre-selected data into students' heads, which must be memorized and regurgitated on exam papers in order to fulfil the requirements for a slip of paper called a diploma.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:41 am
@FBM,
I agree, in general. But not all of us can be creative, math-wise, like for instance Brandon.
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:46 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm in language education, not math(s), so I'm not sure how much of what I said applies in other fields. It might, though, seeing as how math(s) in particular is/are subject to peer review. It might even be more applicable to math and science than language.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:17 am
@FBM,
Being largely uneducated formally, I must defer. But I can tie my shoes several ways and chew gum after a nice walk. Smile
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd like to see a way to evaluate the informally educated for their skills set, rather than make a judgement based on whether or not they jumped through enough hoops to get a piece of paper.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 08:28 pm
I have my moments, in both directions.
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 08:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
As do we all. Last night, a repair job of mine flooded the bathroom. Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:32 pm
Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Heh heh. I just neglected to use thread tape, assumed everything was hunky dory and found out later that it wasn't. No biggie, though. The bathrooms here have drains in the floor. I just waded over and unplugged it. Last time, though, the water had already spilled over the threshold before I discovered there was a problem.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:43 pm
@FBM,
When they introduced thread tape, I wanted to keep using the paste in a bottle. But nobody I knew cooperated with me. I always had the tape, never the other stuff. But, I had to admit at last: tape is better.
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 09:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had doubts about it, too, at first. But after using it a few times and getting a good seal the first time every time, I was sold. Before that, I always just figured on taking 2 or three tries to get it right. Or just getting somebody who was better at it to do it, which was always my first choice. Mr. Green
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:02 pm
@FBM,
Even though I was a maintenance man, I had clumsy fingers and at first the tape was hard to get in place. Oversize fingers. Now, it's second nature.
0 Replies