Does "to flip this" refer to "to turn this upside down"?

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 06:47 am

Context:

‘Invisible’ barn melts into the forest to reflect its setting

And for my next trick I will make a whole building vanish. This invisible barn seems to melt into the forest, confusing passers-by.

Built at the University of California’s Sagehen Creek Field Station, it was designed by Seung Teak Lee and Mi Jung Lim from design firm stpmj, who wanted to create a structure with an understated shape that emphasises its surroundings. “Many architects and designers consider nature as just a background,” says Lee. “We thought it could be interesting to flip this.”

More:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27882-invisible-barn-melts-into-the-forest-to-reflect-its-setting
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 322 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 06:56 am
To "flip" is often used in US English to mean "toggle", "reverse" or "change [something] to the other one of [its] two possible states". Thus Americans often say that they "flip" a light switch to mean making it change from off to on or vice versa. "“Many architects and designers consider nature as just a background,” says Lee. “We thought it could be interesting to flip this. (That is, make nature the foreground instead of the background)”
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 08:01 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
A usage quite graceful to me. Smile
0 Replies