Men who look bad; Women who act badly

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
Over the years, I have heard women friends conclude that gay men groom and dress better than straight men and that black men have better personalities than white men.

My ex-husband had trouble accepting that it was alright to buy casual clothes, other than jeans. He always wore worn out business clothes as casual wear and it was all I could do to convince him that wearing a neat and new sports shirt or rugby shirt when visiting a friend was better than wearing a frayed business shirt.

In Harvard Square, charming black men sell a newspaper that supports the homeless and their cause. One day, a newspaper vendor who was unfamiliar to me was walking toward me through the crowd, talking to an attractive white woman who seemed to enjoy herself enormously. Due to the thickness of the crowd, I couldn't see his bundle of papers, but the two looked so happy that I assumed they were a pair on a first date and had really hit it off. It was just his charm.

----------------

Now, as to women who behave badly. The so-called reality show is, in my opinion, an anti-social activity that encourages the worst of human behavior.

My son has taken to watching a program called Elimi-Date, which pits four women against each other for the attentions of one dopey man. The women claw, snap and put each other down. Why would anyone want to date these rhymes-with-riches?

-------------

Seems to me that life would be better if men spruced up a bit and women behaved better.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,611 • Replies: 32
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
Well, I think reality shows are a buncha junk and don't come even within a continent of reality. It's just "types" (the bitch, the schemer, the nice guy, whatever) that the producers, etc. are foisting on the public because, for whatever silly reason, the public eats it up. I think it means squat.

As for men not dressing well, perhaps that's just men you've known; my husband, my brother, and most of the men I know dress perfectly fine and appropriately. My dad, on the other hand, is the exception, but he's color blind so we'll cut him some slack. :-D

And, as for one race of men being more charming than another - huh? Again, I don't see it and I suspect you're just looking at a small sample. I don't see race having anything to do with such things any more than eye color or fingernail length does.

PS The guys who sell/give away the newspapers for the homeless are hired because they're charming. They're essentially meant to be sales people.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:08 am
jespah wrote:
PS The guys who sell/give away the newspapers for the homeless are hired because they're charming. They're essentially meant to be sales people.

If it's the same paper I'm thinking of there are guys (of all races) all over Cambridge hawking that paper. It's a project for one of the homeless shelters where the residents collect the news, print it and sell it themselves. Not only are they charming, they're flat broke!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
Actually my husband is a very good dresser and he is neater than me. He irons everything including his jeans. He is extremely picky on his clothes. His has such good taste in clothes that I trust him (in most cases) to pick out clothes for me. He usually even gets my size right.

I agree with jespah and the race thing. I never heard of one race being nicer than another or more charming.

As far as women behaving badly. That is insane. Most women do not resort to that sort of "cat fight" mentality. What do you expect if you watch reality TV? Are you really expecting reality?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:21 am
Re: Men who look bad; Women who act badly
plainoldme wrote:
What do you think?

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with broad stereotypes.

From characterizing conservatives as more sex crazed to races and manners...

<shrugs> It takes all sorts.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:36 am
My, aren't we all in a foul mood?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:19 am
At the risk of stereotyping, it seems to me that gay men are also better at gay-sex than straight men.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
Gargamel wrote:
At the risk of stereotyping, it seems to me that gay men are also better at gay-sex than straight men.

As a typical warm-blooded slobby straight guy with tons of machismo, I feel the need to challenge you, and prove you wrong.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
race doesn't influence personality (I know plenty of black men that are jerks & plenty of white men that are absolutely charming)

sexual orientation doesn't influence ability to dress. (my brother is gay, and I wouldn't let him give me clothing advice - EVER)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:30 am
cavfancier wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

As a typical warm-blooded slobby straight guy with tons of machismo, I feel the need to challenge you, and prove you wrong.

Ha-ha! Nice.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
plainoldme wrote:
My, aren't we all in a foul mood?

<smiles> The "we" soulds like a doctor. "How is our leg doing today?" Laughing

If we agree with your stereotypes will you describe our moods in more palatable terms?

Or perhaps our moods are not the issue and we simply disagree? I think we can both be shiny happy people and disagree on the stereotype you propose.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:32 pm
Gargamel wrote:

I find I'm agreeing with the Kool-Aid kid. :-D
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:51 pm
I have heard so many white women make the statement that black men have better personalities than white men so many times over so many years across three states, that I thought it would be a fun topic of conversation.

Instead, I was greeted by the bucket brigade. Sheeez! And when I think of the numerous times that discussions have devolved into breast beating over smoking and quitting smoking and I just clicked off, well, hey! Why does my recounting something I have heard often bother people?

Well, I will go so far to say that race does influence personality, especially here in the US where race still matters quite a bit. Yeah, I've known black guys that were jerks. I'm thinking of one right now who was part of a circle of friends that revolved around people living on Fourth Street in Detroit, circa 1969-71. He finally caused everyone to abandon him. But he was terrific fun when we first met him. Yeah, I've known white guys who were jerks. Charming? Hmmm.

Charm for men changed quite a bit over the past century. Look at mid-century movies, like The Thin Man series and some of the old Cary Grant films. William Holden and Cary Grant wouldn't make it as admirable men today. Charm is something gone from male actors and I suspect from males in general. Most of the men that I would consider charming are older.

Anyway, more than once, walking with a woman friend through Harvard Square and encountering a paper salesman, the friend has remarked, "With his personality, why is he homeless?" or "If he had teeth, he's be dangerous!"

As for women, seems to me there are a lot more rhymes with riches than there formerly were. I just don't understand why a man would go out with a woman who is whiny, demanding, critical, cold and insistent on having her way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:21 pm
There are so many charming people around, male and female, all different tones of skin. I'd be sad if I didn't know them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:28 pm
Everyone knows that when white women say that black men have better personalities and are more charming than white men, it is just polite woman-speak for "huge willies." Incidentally, we are having fun with this topic of conversation.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
I'll tell you what, Cav. I'll try to be more diplomatic if you'll trim your hair and put on some decent clothes. Okay? Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
There are some extremely charming young men in this office. It is a distinct pleasure to spend time with them.

Makes me feel unancient for a few minutes Very Happy
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:33 pm
My parents always taught me to never judge a book by it's cover...therefore, I don't judge anyone by their race, sex, class, status, etc. Instead, I let them, their personality, their demeanor speak for itself and it's from that place that I then make any judgements about them I deem necessary.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:35 pm
Eva wrote:
I'll tell you what, Cav. I'll try to be more diplomatic if you'll trim your hair and put on some decent clothes. Okay? Wink

Never! Muahaha...<runs back to gus's swamp for comfort>
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:43 pm
(Whew! I didn't want to have to be nicer anyway!)
0 Replies