WHY AREN'T THERE MORE LIBERALS ON TV?

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:09 am
Quote:
Michael Moore has a problem: Nobody wants to put him on television. "I've been on a total of two network shows in nine months," the lefty filmmaker and author recently told The New York Times. "What's going on with that?"
It's a fair question. After all, Moore's book, Stupid White Men, has spent months on bestseller lists. His film "Bowling for Columbine," is the most explicitly political film in recent memory. Its concluding interview with Charlton Heston reduced one of America's leading gun fanatics to a state of embarrassing, self-incriminating incoherence -- and not, as his apologists insist, because Heston has Alzheimer's.
Moore's TV shutout is especially bizarre when you consider that author Ann Coulter, who's about as conservative as Moore is liberal and also has had a recent bestselling book, is so telebiquitous she might as well have her own channel. And even more bizarre when you consider the fact that Democrats desperately need to counter the conservative dominance of TV and radio.
As the Times reported the same day, "Democrats are scouring the nation for a liberal answer to Rush Limbaugh." Why isn't it Michael Moore? And why are there so few liberals on television?
Ann Coulter gets on TV because she rules the medium; she's poised, articulate and throws soundbites like spears. She's also good-looking, which TV viewers (and, consequently, producers) love. And she's provocative.
Back when I was executive editor of George magazine I hired Coulter to write a monthly column for just these reasons. Our readers -- especially the liberal ones -- couldn't get enough of her. Ann was the columnist liberals loved to read because she was the persona they loved to hate.
Every month we'd get sacks of mail from sincere, earnest liberals who were appalled that we'd print the words of "that woman." Not a few of those readers spewed venom about Ann's appearance, as if her good looks added insult to injury. Plus, Ann could get on TV with the chyron, "Columnist, George magazine" next to her name.
When you're trying to get people to read about politics, and you're competing with magazines that feature sexier stuff, like movie stars and home furnishings, every little bit helps.
Now, Michael Moore isn't ugly. In fact, he has a kindly, everyman face (which can belie a sometimes cruel nature). He's also funny and smart. But the sloppily-dressed, huffing and puffing Moore isn't exactly ready for TV. If Michael Moore looked like Michael Beschloss, you'd see him on TV more. But not, I think, much more.
The real reason that Moore doesn't get on television is because Moore isn't just a liberal. By today's standards, he's a radical. Moore attacks the power of big corporations, including General Motors, Nike, and Wal-Mart. No, he doesn't just attack them; he embarrasses them. And that makes people in television uneasy.
Ann Coulter is a Republican; she's okay with big corporations. (She just thinks they shouldn't be liberal.) But TV producers never know if Michael Moore will go off the reservation and start talking about, say, how NBC-owner General Electric polluted New York's Hudson River. (The same phenomenon applies to Ralph Nader.) And so they don't give him the chance. The irony is, if they did, and he did, it'd make great TV.
Why have conservatives have to dominate the punditocracy? That's a larger discussion that I'll devote several upcoming columns to. But let's start with this one lesson: Political discussion on television operates within very narrow parameters. Partisanship is fine. Attacking the very nature of capitalist America, as far-left social critics are wont to do, is not. And that gives the conservatives an advantage before anyone's even opened their mouths.
http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/7039

Is this a fair appraisal of media content, particularly network TV? Does the writer (he's in the industry) have the causes figured correctly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,907 • Replies: 264
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:13 am
I have a question: When you use the word "Liberal" what does that mean?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:30 am
Bib
Are you asking what do I mean? or what does the author mean? or what the dictionary definition is?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:31 am
"Ann Coulter gets on TV because she rules the medium..."

Interesting comment... My only knowledge of Ann Coulter is what the political poster's in forums such as this post of her. I've never once seen her on any TV program.

But, there are few, if any Liberal POLITICAL shows/hosts but IMO, the writer is ignoring other entire aspects of the whole situation. People like Rush Limbaugh have TV and Radio programs because there was no counter to what was seen as pervasive liberalism across television and radio. Standard afternoon fair on the major networks every weekday morning/afternoon is (and has been) talk shows hosted by Phil Donahue, Oprah, Geraldo Rivera, Rosie O'Donnel, etc.. all of which, while not specificlly political talk shows, advanced the liberal view in their shows.

"60 Minutes" has survived for decades near the top of the ratings bunch and the entire premise of the show is exposing corporate fraud/wrong doing and political corruption. They had no problem embarrassing GM, GE and others on the air.

Whether Moore can provide the entertainment component of hosting a show or not I don't know. Donohue tried to revive himself as a political commentator on MSNBC and basically bombed out. I don't know that there is a simple solution for the left as far as putting a show together. The left is far more idealogically fractured than the right is so any show that does go on may find itself alienating the very people they are trying to reach a lot of the time.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:52 am
fishin

Ann, I don't think, you'd much care for. Innuendo and ad hominems take up a large place in her arsenal, not unlike Limbaugh. Her most infamous few words were these (after Sept 11)...
Quote:
We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

As to your thoughts on non-news shows... Must we conclude that a show such as 60 Minutes is 'liberal' when it goes after corporate malfeasance or misbehavior? Surely that is an apple pie tradition within the free press in America, a tradition which arises from a rejection of the class system and imbalances of power held by the aristocracy in Europe which America's founders wished to avoid? On an old thread which I just ressurected, and which I know you'll respond to, there is an entirely relevant quote from Lincoln. And 60 Minutes also did shows on unions.

Talk shows...I'm somewhat perplexed as to how you might label them liberal? Would the Ed Sullivan show be included here?
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:52 am
Blatham: your first two options would be enlightening, thanks. Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:53 am
I dunno if I'd consider talk show liberal. Not across the board. I think you have an interesting point Blatham.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:02 am
blatham - I wouldn't automatically label those talk shows as "liberal". What I was referring to was a much more subtle undertone of a day after day progression of shows where every hard luck story was portrayed as a sympathetic figure in need of some sort of public assitance or screwed by "the man". On balance the shows I mentioned pushed the view generally shared by those on the left more often than the view of those on the right.

And no, I wouldn't include Ed Sullivan in the mix. Ed Sullivan was more of a variety show than a talk show but the daytime talkshow genere changed in the post Mike Douglas/Merv Griffin days. If you look at the topics covered and the types of discussions that took place on "The Mike Douglas Show" of the 1970s and compare those to Oprah of the 1980s/1990s it is a very different game.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:07 am
Funny, I always thought conservatives were the bulk of the viewing audience for those shows. I don't even know why I thought that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:17 am
I was thinking something in a very similar line, but in reverse, just 15 minutes ago little k! Smile

I don't recall ever seeing a comment by any of the conservatives on the forums that they watch Rush much but I have seen several comments from those who are generally on the left that they've watched him... The same with Ann Coulter. The left seem to know what these two say each and every day but I ignore them.

Maybe there is a human nature component that goes along with all of this that we only pay attention to the views that are in opposition to our own or something? I dunno.. It does seem weird though...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:28 am
What's the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg?

Well, one is a fat, nazi gas-bag . . . and the other is just a dirigible . . .

I don't watch/listen to the hate-mongers of the right, i see no reason to watch/listen to those from the left. I don't see a qualitative difference between the incendiary invective of one group and the other--in any event, i don't watch television very often, and wouldn't waste my time on political shows if i did. When i listen to the radio, i listed to the local NPR station because they play "Classical" music; or, i play head-banger music because i have friends over who like that--i don't listen to talk-radio.

This may be percieved as a problem, but i would ask, what is the calibre of people who watch or listen, as opposed to read, in order to inform themselves about the political landscape?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:33 am
guys
I must head out for the day, but will get back this evening.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:45 am
Setanta wrote:
This may be percieved as a problem, but i would ask, what is the calibre of people who watch or listen, as opposed to read, in order to inform themselves about the political landscape?

I'd say that that question would be a VERY good topic on it's own!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:48 am
Hmmm, interesting Q, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:51 am
'K, Boss, here ya go:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65640#65640

. . . thread created.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 10:17 am
I'm there! Excellent! Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 12:06 pm
bib

to quickly answer your question before I run... liberalism, for me, is not too unlike the traditional notion; that state institutions are appropriately established and justified as counters to the worst of human tendencies; to forward personal freedom; to act as a force towards equality of opportunity and the relief of suffering (we not being born equal). That's very quick.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 12:23 pm
Ann Coulter is on the small list of regulars to be appearing on the new weekly Bill Maher show in HBO coming up in February. He seems to love to spar with her (if that's the only thing he's doing, the ole dog Laughing )

I thought it was a smart move to return Donahue to the talk show with audience format and he certainly has been brave, putting on some of the most vehement righties in the world.

I've said this elsewhere but if you add up all the news channels and the broadcast channel news, the right wing's voice begins to wane. The internet is pretty squarely divided except that I note that the right wing sites are more sensationlistic. In this world of tabloid journalism and the small minded people who eat it up, what's to wonder?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 12:39 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The internet is pretty squarely divided except that I note that the right wing sites are more sensationlistic. In this world of tabloid journalism and the small minded people who eat it up, what's to wonder?

How are the right-wing sites more sensationalistic than say "democrats.com" or "smirkingchimp.com" or "rense.com" which take every single thing that happens in the world and somehow manage to spin it into the fault of Bush? Someone stubs their toe in Fiji and it becomes a conspiracy of 1st order involving the Bush cabal's evil plan to rule the world...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 12:42 pm
fishin' wrote:
. . . the Bush cabal's evil plan to rule the world . . .

I knew it, i knew those guys were up to no good . . .
0 Replies