ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 10:54 am
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11540825_10207161733184285_521636284039558317_n.jpg?oh=6e64ba7395c94b5d5021385d40eced72&oe=55EFB9D7
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 10:55 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

It's one of the things I wondered about. There are a lot of same-sex couples who'd like to adopt, who couldn't because they weren't married - and some agencies still consider marriage important in selecting parents.

Will these couples move up the list for adoptions once they're married? will they get on more lists?

I certainly hope so, as I've seen some beautiful same-sex families grow here over the past 30 years. I've love to see more children have the opportunity to leave foster care and be adopted by loving parents.

Children are precious. Not having real parents is sad. Let the LGBT community get an epiphany (in my opinion) that the community can do real good in society by giving a child a real home/parents, and stop with the "it's all about me," so to speak (how it appears on some of the media coverage of the LGBT community, in my opinion).
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 11:03 am
@Foofie,
How you perceive the media coverage does not reflect what I see in real-life.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 11:34 am
Such good news to wake up to. I may be getting a wedding invitation in the mail soon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 12:11 pm
But the culture war goes on.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott opened the door for state employees to withhold benefits from same-sex couples Friday, hours after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.Ann Pinchak reacts after hearing the U.S. Supreme Court decision to legalize same-sex marriage on Friday, June 26, 2015, in Center. in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide, striking down the remaining bans in Texas and a dozen other states.Ashton P. Woods reacts to the U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage on Friday, June 26, 2015, in Center. in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide, striking down the remaining bans in Texas and a dozen other states.William Loyd, Nikki Araguz and Allie Levey embrace as they celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court decision to legalize same-sex marriage on Friday, June 26, 2015, in Center. in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide, striking down the remaining bans in Texas and a dozen other states. Kent Rutter is shown on the left.Kent Rutter, far left, William Loyd, Nikki Araguz and Allie Levey celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court decision to legalize same-sex marriage on Friday, June 26, 2015, in Center. in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide, striking down the remaining bans in Texas and a dozen other states.Rhea Jared, left, and Georgette Monaghan line up to try and obtain a marriage license at the Harris County Clerks office Friday, June 26, 2015, in Houston. The couple were told that no marriage licenses were being issued. The clerks office told them that the office was waiting on documents from the state before issuing any marriage licenses. ( Brett Coomer / Houston Chronicle )Georgette Monaghan, left, and Rhea Jared line up to try and obtain a marriage license at the Harris County Clerks office Friday, June 26, 2015, in Houston. The couple were told that no marriage licenses were being issued. The clerks office told them that the office was waiting on documents from the state before issuing any marriage licenses. ( Brett Coomer / Houston Chronicle )

Patrick asks AG if county officials can refuse same-sex marriages

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott opened the door for state employees to withhold benefits from same-sex couples Friday, hours after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.

In a letter released Thursday afternoon, Abbott ordered heads of state agencies to prioritize religious freedom, writing that no adverse action should be taken against a state official "on account of the person's act or refusal to act that is substantially motivated by sincere religious belief."

"This order applies to any agency decision, including but not limited to granting or denying benefits, managing agency employees, entering or enforcing agency contracts, licensing and permitting decisions, or enforcing state laws and regulations," Abbott wrote.

Earlier this month, the governor signed into law the "Pastor Protection Act," which exempts private citizens from performing marriages that would cause them to "violate a sincerely held religious belief."

"In the wake of the Supreme Court's decision, the law's promise of religious liberty will be tested by some who seek to silence and marginalize those whose conscience will not allow them to participate in or endorse marriages that are incompatible with their religious beliefs," Abbott wrote. "As government officials, we have a constitutional duty to preserve, protect, and defend the religious liberty of every Texan."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 02:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
does Texas want to spend more $ on lawyers? seems like it
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 02:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Heck, more than 50% of those polled here think a military exercise, conducted on Texas soil is a probable plot to take over the state and put Texas patriots in some kind of tunnels beneath abandoned Walmarts. So help me, I read this today.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 03:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
they have little fits like that in Quebec once in a while, and want to secede. then they realize they can't survive without federal money.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 03:51 pm
@ehBeth,
I just saw one on face-book actually my cousin put up, where some guy said he would burn himself at the stake if it was legalised where ever he is. The reply was " I'll watch" by most ..

0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:00 pm
This country is going to hell in a hand basket. We’re packing up the cars, taking the kids, animals and getting the hell out of this country and moving to Canada! Very Happy
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:05 pm
Quote:
One of the US supreme court justices [Samuel Alito] who found themselves on the opposite side of Friday’s historic endorsement of same-sex marriage has warned that the ruling will be used to “vilify Americans who are unwilling to assent to the new orthodoxy”, a group he said now faced being “labeled as bigots”.

“I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers and schools,”

So justice Alito brings up a solid point. What sort of world will it be where bigoted people are treated like... bigots? It's a dark day indeed for all the poor, misunderstood xenophobes out there.

More nuggets of wisdom: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/26/gay-marriage-supreme-court-justices-dissent
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:08 pm
@thack45,
I read most of Alito's dissent earlier today. It's hard to find anything polite to say about it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, Thack's clip made me laugh. Fresh air is good, isn't it.
0 Replies

foundednotlost

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:57 pm
@thack45,
Quote:

So justice Alito brings up a solid point. What sort of world will it be where bigoted people are treated like... bigots? It's a dark day indeed for all the poor, misunderstood xenophobes out there.

Justice Alito is afraid of blowback to his reputation...his pride will be wounded when many in the Gay community have calmed down from the excitement realizing he voted to deny them this equal right. Some years ago, 2010, he was called out by President Obama during the annual State Of the Union for writing the Court's decision in the case "Citizens United v. FEC," which opened the door for corporations and foreign countries to spend as much as they'd like on indirect political campaign contributions. Since 2010 Alito has missed subsequent SOTU sessions....he is sensitive to public criticism especially by the president of the US. As far as I am concerned Alito is the classic ignorant homophobe and falls under the same bigoted umbrella as Scalia and Thomas.
thack45

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:01 pm
@foundednotlost,
I'm confused. If he is sensitive to criticism, he's done a terrible job of avoiding it. His bit of emotional appeal ineffectually veils a clear defense for a culture of narrow-mindedness.
foundednotlost

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:10 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

I'm confused. If he is sensitive to criticism, he's done a terrible job of avoiding it.

Jurist Samuel Alito is who he is, an unusually vain person, yet with ultra conservative ideas regarding diversity in today's changing society. His refusal or inability to look beyond his closed-minded view of the world prevents him from issuing an objective ruling, i.e., his subjective condemnation of a group of people he knows nothing about makes him ill-suited for the position he currently holds. The decision should have been an easy one for fair-minded jurists. If two people love each other and want to be married, why not? What's the problem? Gays and Lesbians have always been with us, we just merely did not count them in our culture as representing family; they were different! Or this was the belief society projected. Things change, society advances, and today is a new day! Gays, Lesbians, and others whom society has previously rejected should all be granted the same equality as any heterosexual person. It's a strong possibility Alito understands this on a different fundamental level and it is because of this he is afraid his decision might have set him up as a future target, thereby staining his image.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:55 pm
US Senator (and remember there are only 100 of them representing 319,000,000 Americans) Ted Cruz called the last 24 hours "some of the darkest in our nation's history" because of rulings upholding Obamacare and marriage equality. Radio host Sean Hannity completely agreed. Slavery, the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, 9/11, nope. Healthcare subsidies and gay marriage are worse. What a ridiculous piece of ****. The people of Texas must be filled with regret for electing him or they might be the dumbest state in the nation.

But I really don’t give a rats ass what they really think, this now is the law of the land and I’m home with my husband and our three beautiful children and today is a happy day for all of us and they can’t take that away!
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)
thack45

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 09:20 pm
@GorDie,
Lol. This guy's dolin' out the burns like the funniest second grader in school. Good show!

Quote:
Cheers* Shmeers* to the OFFICIALLY most fucked up Country in the World.

Gone straight from most hated to least appreciable.

I'm pretty sure that word doesn't mean what you think it means

But anyway, in this day and age, being a worthless nobody is a poor excuse for not being informed. Sure, you can have your little "religion", and all your "opinions" that constitute your little... "life", but maybe check in on the real world from time to time. Although you'd probably still end up looking like a horse's ass, maybe you could work on improving your current image as a stupid horse's ass. Here's one on me – best of luck!
http://www.pewresearch.org/files/2015/06/FT_15.06.26_gayMarriageMap.png