Congratulations!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
Now you're just fine! Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:37 pm
Until your arm falls off, at least. Sometimes those CIA tracking chips they inject get hung up in your veins and cause major problems.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
<whacking patiodog on the shoulder>
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:46 am
patiodog wrote:
Until your arm falls off, at least. Sometimes those CIA tracking chips they inject get hung up in your veins and cause major problems.

Is that why I always get sick, after a tetanus shot? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:59 am
That's how they test the chip. It can emit low-level radiation that sends your system in a funk -- to make sure it's working. They just run a geiger counter over your sewer line.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:29 pm
rule #1 when getting a shot in the arm: RELAX.

Tensing up your arm even just a little will make the needle more likley to tear mucsle tissue and therefore hurt.

I get 3-4 shots a week. Count me something of an expert at this point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:26 pm
Hi, Limbodog, welcome to a2k. Sorry you have to go through that.

I was, for quite a while, a lab technologist, and in the course of my work did take blood from people. As an aside, let me recommend that y'll not joke about the tech or phlebotomist being a vampire. They have heard that before.

But... in the research lab I was involved in for many years, I had to teach people how to draw blood occasionally, and always used myself to teach them. Ah, a level of risk, heh.

Plus, I used to donate blood, just a wee bit at a time, so I could make slides as substrate for a certain fluorescein congugated autoantibody test, and did that several times a month for at least a few years.

I knew when I signed up to intern as a lab tech that this would be part of it, so when I had blood drawn I forced myself to watch. I became a lab tech because I was interested at the time in hematology, but still had to learn to get the specimen from a patient in the first place.

It can also be scary at the other end, for the neophyte faced with impossible veins. A certain fight or flight reaction can occur, and you have to quelch it and concentrate. Luckily people progress in competence. Usually.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:07 am
I'm what's called a "hard stick". This means my veins are hard to find and draw blood from. I always suggest the techs go for the veins in the hands. Makes it easier on everyone concerned.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:56 am
ossobuco wrote:
Hi, Limbodog, welcome to a2k. Sorry you have to go through that.

Danke, and no worries. Them stabbies are entirely voluntary. Injections of liquid dog, cat, dust mites, trees, & weeds followed by a beer chaser. Smile

I can put up with this for 5 years. I just wish I started 'em a decade ago.
0 Replies