I have to get a needle! waaaahhh

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:55 pm
Edit (Moderator): Moved from general to Health, please use the appropriate categories.

I have to get a needle, measles shot actually. I fought and fought not to get it in high school, but now with my taking Early Childhood Education this year I have to get it. I really should have got it before. I'm not afraid of getting needles persay, but more, I don't trust the needle giver. I had a bad experience when I was young. Thursday is gonna come quick, but I have to be strong and get it over with, because I have to get a TB shot when I start school. Time to toughen up. Is there anyway to numb the area, before I go get the shot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,457 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:19 pm
Take a shot of whisky. Be strong, my 16 month old was able to handle shots and she only cried a little. Just scream bloody murder after it and you will feel fine.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:24 pm
Sorry, no sympathy. For the last three months I have to inject myself with Miacalcin every morning. I don't like assulting my tender flesh--but the Miacalcin is doing wonders for the brittle bones.

A stinging slap on the site, before the shot, will mask the jab to some extent.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Just lie back and think of the diabetics. You have it easy.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Don't take whisky, as tempting as it might be. Alcohol thins the blood, and impedes proper clotting.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:29 pm
Look away, think about something else. It's just a little prick, and I'm sure you've already run across a number of those in Canada. Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
You could get a shot of novocain, but that would be another shot! Laughing

Seriously though, the less you make of it, the easier it will be. At one time in my life I knew that I would have to take a lot of blood tests. I forced myself to watch. I now can take a shot or a blood test with nary an eyelash flicker!

Good Luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
patiodog wrote:
Look away, think about something else. It's just a little prick, and I'm sure you've already run across a number of those in Canada. Wink

We are miffed. :wink:
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:35 pm
Phoenix's advice is good. I hope it will work. If you are not sure that you are able to do it, try exact opposite, which quite often works too. Day or night before imagine how terrible it is - cry and scream in terror because of incredible and unbearable pain you have to face. Realize that when they put that needle in your hand you will experience worst pain human ever felt - in ALL body.

And then ACTUAL needle shot will be piece of cake Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:41 pm
Yeah, right, linkat. A shot of whiskey before Early Child Eduction. I'm sure I'd need a quick one before course like that, too.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:50 pm
Good point. Better make it a double...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:59 pm
cavfancier wrote:
patiodog wrote:

(I was referring, of course, to the Quebecois. How could you have thought any different?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:12 pm
patiodog wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
patiodog wrote:

(I was referring, of course, to the Quebecois. How could you have thought any different?)

Ahh, that's okay then, although Quebec still boasts the best Poutains in the country.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
But you said the whore price was not included in the door price, so what good are they to me?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 06:18 pm
We had some gal come to our house and take blood samples (sounds kinky, but it was just for life insurance) and she did this thing (sounding kinky again) where she pinched the place where the needle would go in, in a rhythm (SO kinky) and so you started to expect the next pinch, but then she slipped the needle in (I give up) in between pinches, when your skin was relaxed. It was a nifty trick, didn't hurt 'tall.

(I'm a needlephobe, when they were trying to figure out why the heck I became deaf they took gallons of blood from me, and I had a couple of traumatic experiences with student nurses... ack... won't go there...)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:20 pm
Re: I have to get a needle! waaaahhh
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Edit (Moderator): Moved from general to Health, please use the appropriate categories.

I have to get a needle, measles shot actually. I fought and fought not to get it in high school, but now with my taking Early Childhood Education this year I have to get it. I really should have got it before. I'm not afraid of getting needles persay, but more, I don't trust the needle giver. I had a bad experience when I was young. Thursday is gonna come quick, but I have to be strong and get it over with, because I have to get a TB shot when I start school. Time to toughen up. Is there anyway to numb the area, before I go get the shot?

TB shot? I think you're probably going to get a TB scratch test to see if you're presently infected or were infected in the past. If postive, you might have to have a chest X-ray.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:34 pm
patiodog wrote:
But you said the whore price was not included in the door price, so what good are they to me?

I did say that a sniff was free.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:20 am
I used to be a shot - fearer. Until I realized that the shot itself isn't actually very painful at all. It was my anticipation and worry that builtup a fear response to something that was not, in reality, very painful at all.

Also, I found out a cool trick (I know it works for getting blood drawn, dunno about shots) that if you squeeze down and put pressure on the place where it was taken for about 20 minutes after the shot was taken, you won't bruise up the next day.

Good luck, and just wait until you go abroad...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
Re: I have to get a needle! waaaahhh
Miller wrote:
TB shot? I think you're probably going to get a TB scratch test to see if you're presently infected or were infected in the past. If postive, you might have to have a chest X-ray.

Yes, a TB scratch test.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:28 pm
UPDATE-

I just got back from my needle, I took a bit of everyone's advise, minus the whisky. It wasn't that bad, the anticipation hurt, but the actual needle was a breeze. Thanks to all of you!
0 Replies