Poll: over 40% of Canadian teens think America is "evil"

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
I don't know where this poll was pulled from, but I was born and raised in the US and since I moved here in a french community in New Brunswick, I've been treated with nothing but respect. The majority of the people here don't have anything against Americans. It's Bush that they have a problem with and rightfully so after he started pointing fingers at Canada after 9/11 and making threats towards us after we refused to get involved in his killing spree. If you take a good look at the American people today, you'll see that the majority feels the same way about Bush. That poll must have been done in Quebec because, as Cav said, they don't care for anyone who speaks english over there.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:47 pm
Jer
Exactly!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
I bet that 40% of teenagers hate everything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
Quote:
Teens skeptical of America's influence

Misty Harris
CanWest News Service
Friday, June 25, 2004

Evil is a word usually reserved for serial killers, Austin Powers villains and kids who tear the legs off baby spiders. But, a new poll shows a significant number of young Canadians would use "evil" to describe something far different: their U.S. neighbours.

In a telephone poll of 500 teens aged 14 to 18, more than 40 per cent of respondents saw the U.S. as an evil global force. Among French Canadians, that number jumped to 64 per cent. Ontario proved the most conflicted on the issue; there, nearly one-fifth of youth were on the fence.

"Teens have taken (Ronald) Reagan's concept of the Soviet Union as an evil empire and turned it back on the U.S.," says Rudyard Griffiths, director of the Dominion Institute.

"Clearly, the anti-American sentiment isn't just something coming from thirtysomethings or even twentysomethings."

Avnish Nanda, a 15-year-old from Edmonton, says he sees the American government as neither totally good nor totally bad.

"When George (W.) Bush came into power, he was a real force of evil, getting into a war people say was about oil," Nanda says. "But all over the world, America gives aid to countries whether they deserve it or not, and that's really good for people."

The poll was conducted at the end of March and has a 4.3 per cent margin of error. It was commissioned by CanWest News Service and sponsored by the Dominion Institute and Navigator Ltd. to engage youth in the election and to give parents, teachers and politicians a look at where young people stand on key issues.

"Stephen Harper is saying we need to integrate more with the U.S.," says Nanda, a youth volunteer for the Liberal party. "Well, I don't see how that helps us increase our sovereignty as a nation."

Greg Lyle, a principal at Navigator Ltd. with a long history in politics, says the poll results suggest "the emotion we saw in the '88 campaign about our relationship with the Americans" still lingers in "a very major way."

Conflicting views on the role of the military were also revealed in the poll. Although 51 per cent of teens want Canada to be known through its peacekeeping efforts, a majority -- 69 per cent -- wouldn't consider a career in the military.

In terms of this election, Lyle says the findings don't have huge domestic implications. But they do foreshadow big things for future elections, particularly given the Conservatives' stance on military spending and defence.

"Stephen Harper and his colleagues are more likely to talk about peace-making than peacekeeping, and that's somewhat out of step with young people," he says. "Youth have a very, very strong desire to be seen as peacekeepers, so long as it doesn't mean they have to do the peacekeeping themselves."

Lyle calls the underlying trend chequebook activism -- showing commitment to a cause by throwing tax dollars at it, not by getting physically involved. And Griffiths believes it's a result of Canada's role as "the fireproof attic of North America" over the past 10 years.

"It's a pretty good time to be a young Canadian in terms of the opportunities, the general affluence of society, and the absence of a direct threat to the country," Griffiths says. He suggests teens lack a sense of military duty because they've been living the good life and are largely cut off from international disputes.

"Young people are saying they don't see themselves as citizens of the world," he says, echoing poll results where only 23 per cent of respondents identified as global citizens. "This is a generation that really sees themselves strongly as Canadians."

source: Calgary Herald [cached]

The poll - as PDF! - is to be found here
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 01:23 pm
Canadians? LOL, next people will be pretending to care about what the french think
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 01:39 pm
Karzak wrote:
Canadians? LOL, next people will be pretending to care about what the french think

Why I oughta.... :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 01:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Cinq dollars ? ! ? ! ?

uuuuhhhhhh . . . poutine y compris?

Tabernac, non, poutine ain't compris. Mais, les poutains....un sniff, c'est gratuis.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:32 pm
Canadian teens are not the only teens thinking this way. Although I don't have a link, there was an inquiry on Dutch teens what they feared the most - what conflict or which person they considered to be a big danger to the world. The top three (I don't know in what order though) was George W. Bush, Israel/Palestine and Muslim terrorists. In an EU inquiry the EU citizens found Israel (1) and America (2) the most dangerous countries in the world.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:40 pm
The Dominion Institute is an interesting group.

http://www.dominion.ca/English/home.html

I like their focus on 'make up your own mind'.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:41 pm
These are the reasons we should pull our military out of countries that do not want us there. Let Denmark and Canada defend themselves, as well as every other country that relies on the US for their freedoms. Let them realize just who the real bad guys in the world are.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Let Denmark and Canada defend themselves, as well as every other country that relies on the US for their freedoms. Let them realize just who the real bad guys in the world are.

Just tell me. why Denmark? They've been one of the first to contribute soldiers to Iraq, have had deads, but still stay there.

So, why now?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:47 pm
Well actually, Denmark is a bad example. The Danes are considered to be one of the most pro-US nations in the EU.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:48 pm
Oh it seems Walter was just a little bit faster than me. Blöde Walter :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Well actually, Denmark is a bad example. The Danes are considered to be one of the most pro-US nations in the EU.

Well, their government - I'm not so sure about the population (might be the same as in the UK).

However, the Danish government was the first (after the UK) to send the troops.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
I'm having a little trouble with 'relying on the U.S.' for our freedom.

Seems just a touch of a stretch.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:51 pm
McGentrix wrote:
These are the reasons we should pull our military out of countries that do not want us there. Let Denmark and Canada defend themselves, as well as every other country that relies on the US for their freedoms. Let them realize just who the real bad guys in the world are.

Well, first off, I don't seem to remember a US military 'presence' in Canada, so there really is no army to withdraw. Second, perhaps some nations would try to defend themselves, given the chance, but the US won't let them, it seems.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:51 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, their government - I'm not so sure about the population (might be the same as in the UK).

Well what I know is that at the beginning of the Iraq war, Denmark was one of the very few EU-countries where more than 50% of the population approved of the war.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:55 pm
Since when do we rely on the US for our freedom? Did I miss something?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:57 pm
We don't rely on the US for freedom, but they rely on us for uhh, hmm, lets see....water, power, trees.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
You guys can keep living in dreamland, but when you want to step into reality, the US will be there for you. Just remember that.
0 Replies