link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 24,529 • Replies: 544
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:33 am
One man (Sheeps) Anti-Americnaism is another's "World Waking Up".

I just saw something similar to this in <i>Mother Jones</i>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
Well, I'm not surprised that more Quebec teens are anti-American. They hate everyone who doesn't speak French. As for Parrish, she made two political blunders: making those remarks, and appearing on the Mike Bullard show. I concur with the remark "alleged comedian." CanWest-Global thought they were getting a deal when they bought the Bullard show from another network. Little did they know that it was a deal because he SUCKED! The show is now-cancelled, and nobody misses it. I hear that Parrish recently joined a convent.

I should add that anti-Americanism rose in Canada after the way we were treated by the Bush administration after Chretien decided to not join the war effort. Our once friendly neighbours to the south now tossed us onto the trash heap. Yes, that will be remembered here.

Also, it seems that world-wide, Canada is not the only 'anti-American' country. I take issue with the terms 'anti-American', and 'anti-America.' First, if Americans are really that pissed off that other countries criticize their foriegn policy, you must be one insecure nation. Second, just because the French call you obnoxious, self-righteous, slobby pigs doesn't mean you need to take it personally. Being the strongest military power in the world, you would think that sort of insult would just roll off of you, like water from a ducks back. 'Anti-American policy' does not equate to 'Anti-America'. Now give me my $200 and I'll see you next week, same time.

My message to America: Divert some cash from the military budget now that the Iraq thingy has been solved, and buy everyone some diplomacy for Christmas.

Oh, does Bush Jr. play the fiddle?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:35 am
Ces Américains, quels espèces de putains, ce sont les nuveaux nazis actuels . . . faut pas y penser trops . . . allons chercher de poutine, eh?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:39 am
Some Americans view the rest of the world strictly in terms of how pro- or anti-American each country appears to be. A perfect example is George ("Either you're for us, or against us") Bush. Sad, but true...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:40 am
Le fight ce soir: Putains dans le Poutine avec les SS soldats Americaines! Le contact: Guy Pouissant, propietrer, Le Strip, 333 Rue St. Catherine's, Montreal, Quebec. Cinq dollar cover.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:41 am
Cinq dollars ? ! ? ! ?

uuuuhhhhhh . . . poutine y compris?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:47 am
Maybe they should run the poll in the USA, and let american teens vote on what they think of Canada, although I think the votes would be the same if not more. Also, most teens no matter where they live don't understand the whole political scene, nor do they want to. Why even run such a poll anyway?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:54 am
I'll disagree with you on what teens understand, standupforP. Perhaps I know an unusual group of Canadian children/teens, but I think they understand a good deal of what is going on in the world around them. They follow the news, they are critical thinkers - not sheep, I'm often quite impressed by the comments they have about what is going on, in Canada and around the world. I think a number of them understood more about the issues in the recent election than many adults I spoke to. They are interested in their futures.

Interesting poll, with an interesting assessment. I'm not sure that anti-Americanism is an appropriate term for what most people I talk to feel in regard to the U.S. In fact, I'm quite sure that I don't know any people who are anti-American. Perhaps some who are anti-Bush, but most of us can differentiate our feelings about Mr. Bush from our feelings about America.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
I agree that 18 year olds, yes, know what they need to know about politics, but I think 14 years olds have other plans, then trying to figure who's doing what in politics. My earlier post was referring to the young teens, think back when you were 14, we can't even vote at 14.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:02 am
Like I said, StandupforP, I may know an unusual group of children/teens.
And I was definitely odd - I was very keen on politics from about the age of 8 - watched political conventions on t.v. - read everything I could put out by candidates. The 10 - 16 year olds I know are much like that - extremely well-informed. I know a couple who put their parents to shame in terms of political interest and knowledge.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:04 am
Non-Starter
They will finish growing up and become uncommonly polite people who pose a threat to no one (that last part must be the French in um :wink: ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:09 am
I bet a poll of Muslims/Arabs in the world will show that over 80 percent will rate America as evil. We can thank GWBush and his criminals for this perspective.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:12 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:16 pm
Oddly, that article accuses the "anti-Americanism" of the politicians as both pandering to anti-Americanism and creating it.

Pretty nifty trick.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Well, I'm not surprised that more Quebec teens are anti-American. They hate everyone who doesn't speak French. As for Parrish, she made two political blunders: making those remarks, and appearing on the Mike Bullard show. I concur with the remark "alleged comedian." CanWest-Global thought they were getting a deal when they bought the Bullard show from another network. Little did they know that it was a deal because he SUCKED! The show is now-cancelled, and nobody misses it. I hear that Parrish recently joined a convent.

I should add that anti-Americanism rose in Canada after the way we were treated by the Bush administration after Chretien decided to not join the war effort. Our once friendly neighbours to the south now tossed us onto the trash heap. Yes, that will be remembered here.

Also, it seems that world-wide, Canada is not the only 'anti-American' country. I take issue with the terms 'anti-American', and 'anti-America.' First, if Americans are really that pissed off that other countries criticize their foriegn policy, you must be one insecure nation. Second, just because the French call you obnoxious, self-righteous, slobby pigs doesn't mean you need to take it personally. Being the strongest military power in the world, you would think that sort of insult would just roll off of you, like water from a ducks back. 'Anti-American policy' does not equate to 'Anti-America'. Now give me my $200 and I'll see you next week, same time.

My message to America: Divert some cash from the military budget now that the Iraq thingy has been solved, and buy everyone some diplomacy for Christmas.

Oh, does Bush Jr. play the fiddle?

I'll second that!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'll disagree with you on what teens understand, standupforP. Perhaps I know an unusual group of Canadian children/teens, but I think they understand a good deal of what is going on in the world around them. They follow the news, they are critical thinkers - not sheep, I'm often quite impressed by the comments they have about what is going on, in Canada and around the world. I think a number of them understood more about the issues in the recent election than many adults I spoke to. They are interested in their futures.

Interesting poll, with an interesting assessment. I'm not sure that anti-Americanism is an appropriate term for what most people I talk to feel in regard to the U.S. In fact, I'm quite sure that I don't know any people who are anti-American. Perhaps some who are anti-Bush, but most of us can differentiate our feelings about Mr. Bush from our feelings about America.

I'll second that as well!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:36 pm
That article is a joke. The author didn't tell us what questions the teens were being asked.

It also didn't specify if the teens were talking about the US administration or Americans - and I'd be willing to bet good odds that they were generally talking about the administration. Because in Canada we have a lot of American tourists and they're just like Canadians for the most part - although they can be a little more obnoxious and demanding of the service industry than Canadians tend to be. (Likely because the majority of tourists we identify as Americans are the extremely wealthy ones - everyday Americans tend to blend right into the mix.)

This portion of the article:
Quote:
These teens appear to equate George W. Bush and Americans with Osama bin Laden and Hitler, although it is unknown if the teens polled would describe the latter two as being evil.

is purely to stir the pot. Canadian teens are generally fairly up to date on global affairs, and to make a statement like that is just STUPID - plain stupid.

While Canadian textbooks certainly don't celebrate the American military to the degree that American textbooks do - the Americans are still painted as Good Guys in a historic sense.

The statements about Conservatives wanting to adopt an American-style health care system...Well our health care system is something that Canadians take very seriously. The fact that we don't have to be rich to be entitled to quality health care is something that sets us apart from the US. It says that everybody's life is worth the same amount, regardless of how much they earn. Saying we don't want a health-care system like the US has doesn't mean we hate America, it means that we don't like the US healthcare system.

Saying the you hate George Bush and this administration, doesn't mean that you hate America.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:37 pm
i just can't help wondering why u.s. citizens come to canada by the busload to buy prescrition drugs in canada; other u.s. citizens order their prescrition drugs from canada over the internet. i have even seen an internet-ad endorsed by the governor of a u.s. state(illinois ?) endorsing this practice. are these americans "unpatriotic" ? just wondering why they come over here ? hbg
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:38 pm
Hell yeah!!
0 Replies