Failed to get "never of it"-"never of what"?

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:56 am
Failed to get "never of it" in " in this motley throng though never of it". What does it refer to?

Context:

In San Francisco in the sixties, the popular promenade was through the streets Montgomery and Kearny from Jackson to Sutter. Here in the late afternoon might be seen as in a rapidly shifting kaleidoscope, a most unusual procession relieved here and there by the injected "characters," who lent life and color to the warp and woof of that most strangely variegated tapestry. A small army they were, each member living his own life and absorbed in his own mysterious schemes. Here were George Washington Coombs," known also as the "Great Matrimonial Candidate"; "Old Rosey"; "Money King"; "Robert Macaire"; the "Gutter-Snipe"; "Old Crisis," and others, all of whom long since have passed into oblivion. And in this motley throng though never of it, appeared "Emperor Norton."

Joshua A. Norton was his real name. He was of Hebrew parentage, born February 4, 1819, probably in Scotland. Of his earlier life nothing is known as he rarely spoke of it. Before coming to California he had been for some time at Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, where he was a member of the Cape Mounted Riflemen. He finally reached San Francisco in December, 1849, having come from Rio de Janeiro on the Hamburg vessel Franzika.

MOre:
http://www.emperornorton.net/NortonI-Cowan.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 524 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:44 pm
And in this motley throng though never of it [the throng], appeared "Emperor Norton."
0 Replies

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 01:23 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
And in this motley throng though never of it, appeared "Emperor Norton."

In the crowd, though never appearing to be part of it, appeared "Emperor Norton".
oristarA

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 08:59 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
And in this motley throng though never of it, appeared "Emperor Norton."

In the crowd, though never appearing to be part of it, appeared "Emperor Norton".

"to be part of it" is crystal clear. But I wonder whether you, or other native speakers, get "never of it" immediately intuitively when looking at it.
FBM

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 09:06 pm
@oristarA,
I got it immediately. To be in a crowd but not (really a part) of it. It's an elided expression.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:32 pm
It took me a while to get the gist of it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 01:21 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
"to be part of it" is crystal clear. But I wonder whether you, or other native speakers, get "never of it" immediately intuitively when looking at it.

It's the kind of thing, in my opinion, that even a native speaker might have to read twice. When reading aloud, you stress the word "of" and then it very clear, no problem.
0 Replies