Do you ever get calls from yourself?

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:55 pm
A few times I have received a call and the ID shows as the same number and name as the phone receiving the call. I answer because I see my husband's name so I am thinking oh he is calling from his cell and then realize too late it is the home phone. How can I be calling mysrlf?

It just happened I answered and no one was there? Am I seeing and hearing things? Do I have a split personality and simply just like hearing my own voice? Or something more sinister?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 01:01 pm
@Linkat,
http://i58.tinypic.com/23vaqur.gif
#hugs
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 01:08 pm
The Better Business Bureau has warned about this. Cold callers often use fake caller ID to persuade people to pick up. They are betting you will, or at least you'll be more likely to than if the call came from "Unknown Name, Unknown Number," "Private Caller," or from some unrecognizable area code.

If you answer the call, what you're likely to hear can vary. It could be a robo-call trying to sell you on the idea that you could lower your credit card interest rates or a call from someone posing as being from Microsoft intent on selling you a solution to some computer woe or perhaps a software update. Beyond those, which are often associated with the caller ID trick, it could be a scam to get information out of you such as credit card or bank details.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 01:09 pm
@Linkat,
Here's the answer from Better Business Bureau:
http://www.bbb.org/blog/2014/06/why-is-my-number-calling-me-a-crazy-new-scam/

As you'll see from articles, NEVER answer and don't trust caller ID. but if you do answer, give them nothing and push no buttons. The robo-caller wants your banking/financial info to phish for your CC number or SS number.

My tech-savvy sister had this happen fairly recently. 't's a nother wrinkle of phone scam. This newer robo-caller (offshore) has the ability to do spoofing ....of numbers...believe it or not,...even your own.

When, and if, they connect with you (generally they hang up or wait for you to pickup), it'll be some telemarketing spam... or some fishing scam that tells you they're the IRS (foreign accent) and you're going to be prosecuted by IRS / Treasury and the police will be contacting you.

Be aware that IRS protocol and regulations are set up so that they never would contact you in such a manner.

The trick is never to answer the call from a non-ID or strange number. They'll leave a message if it's a real call. Though, admittedly, it's kind of shocking to see your OWN number come up. Technology should be set up to block such an occurrence.

If you Google this, FCC is aware and is working on this with carrier (Verizon, AT&T etc.) but don't hold your breath for the solution any time soon.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 01:18 pm
I had a call from myself once.

I said that I wasn't available, but knew straightaway that I was lying.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 01:36 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
I had a call from myself once

Have you ever sat on your phone till it goes numb and then rung yourself up so it sounds like somebody else?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 02:20 pm
@Ragman,
I had a message on my voice mail about being brought to court by the IRS if I did not call back. Initially I was panicked. Then thought they wouldn't call - you would get a certificed letter and did a google search which confirmed it was a scam.

The thing is they do this to panic you and sometimes even a reasonable person would get scared and might react too quick.

The phone thing though -- I just saw my husband's name and thought he was calling from his cell. After I answered it clicked this is the home phone number....he can't be calling from the phone I am on - especially as he isn't home.

Thought it was funny or maybe I didn't hang up correctly before and thus the ring back. Didn't think a scammer would call using the ID from your own number.
Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 02:54 pm
@Linkat,
Isn't science wonderful?! My sister ,,, tech savvy as she is ... was surprised to see her own number dialing her, too. She knew better than to answer but didn't know of the phishing scam until she Googled it up.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 03:43 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Didn't think a scammer would call using the ID from your own number.

It's the only number that you are familiar with, that the callers know.
0 Replies