Uncut Gems: Where Did The Phone Come From?!!!

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2020 11:20 pm
In the 2019 film, Uncut Gems, there is one scene that I am sure can’t be an error/good & just something I missed. Around 45min into the film movie the main character Howard Ratner (Sandler) is briefly abducted by 2 goons into an SUV to be confronted by his brother-in-law, Arno, in relation to the 6 figure debt Howard owes. However, the money that Howard said he had has already been used to service gambling addiction, and Arno has had enough. As a last warning he has his heavy’s strip Howard in the back seat and stick him in his own trunk in the parking lot. They take everything except his underwear, and then take that too once in the trunk, but somehow once locked inside he uses his phone to call for help. So the question is how the hell did he get the phone?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 904 • Replies: 8
No top replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 04:41 am
@k1harding,
Haven’t seen the film, but perhaps he keeps one in the trunk in case of just such an event?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 08:30 am
@k1harding,
k1harding wrote:

So the question is how the hell did he get the phone?!

Great question. Possible plot hole?
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 08:36 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Maybe up his butt hole?

Seriously though, this is a good question.

Have you seen the movie tsar? Do you remember this scene?

It does seem like a glaring error.

From what I read about the movie, it doesn't seem impossible that he had thought of abduction, and prepared for it with hidden phone.

No?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 09:04 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Have you seen the movie tsar? Do you remember this scene?

It does seem like a glaring error.

I did see it. These small things I tend to ignore or miss. It's not a really crucial scene (life or death situation of the character ain't involved). It's a curiosity of the screenwriting rather than a movie plot dealbreaker for me.

Quote:
From what I read about the movie, it doesn't seem impossible that he had thought of abduction, and prepared for it with hidden phone.

He deals with some really sketchy mobster-adjacent bookies due to his gambling addiction (something you can learn from the trailer). He shouldn't have been surprised that bad things like this happen. He's lucky that it could have been far worse.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, both the trailer and the reviews on it seems really interesting.

I guess I'd have to see it in context, but it seems a naked man having a cell phone seems like a big thing.

I'd be like "Where the f*ck did he get that?"
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2020 02:13 pm
Adam Sandler is in it. That alone steers me well clear of it.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 02:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Usually I would agree, but this is the rare "Punch Drunk Love" dramatic actor Adam Sandler, and not the more common "Grown-ups/Jack & Jill" comedic actor Adam Sandler.

Apparently, a lot of people saw the film in theaters because they thought it was a typical Adam Sandler comedy and not an intense drama.
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2020 02:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Apparently, a lot of people saw the film in theaters because they thought it was a typical Adam Sandler comedy and not an intense drama.

You'd have to be pretty dense to not know if you're going to see a comedy or a drama.
Don't care who's in it, I'd think it's a given you'd know what you're going to see as far as that.

It's not as if Sandler had not ever acted in a serious role before.
0 Replies