Who Made the Call?

gollum

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:34 pm
I was woken up at 3:30 am in the morning by a phone call. I picked it up and said hello but no one was on the line.

I checked the records of my phone calls provided by my carrier, Verizon. The record listed Indianapolis, IN as the caller.

I don't know anyone in Indianapolis, IN.

Is there any way to find out who placed the call?

Could someone living somewhere else cause Indianapolis, IN to be recorded as the originating location?

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 04:42 pm
@gollum,
Sounds like a spoofed record.

Have you ever gotten a phone call from what was allegedly your own number and it turned out to be someone trying to tell you timeshares or something like that? That's what this sounds like.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:17 pm
There are call centres (centers) in India, the Phillipines, Bulgaria, etc, that make cold calls to people in Europe, USA, etc. They have automatic computer diallers, loaded with digitized phone books, that call numbers in the target countries and if someone picks up they are connected to a free call center worker who gives the spiel. Only sometimes there's a glitch, it doesn't quite work and the called person picks up and gets silence. They can spoof caller ID so you think it's in your country. Generally, though, they target a country during its normal waking hours. It could have been someone in Indiana who misdialled and realised when they heard your voice and didn't have the good manners to say "Sorry, wrong number".
0 Replies