"the operative factor in the Holocaust"? Failed to get this

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:52 am
Because Jewry was victims of the Holocaust. The phrase "the operative factor" sounds like the factor of executor to me. What does it mean?

Context:

The Origins of Totalitarianism[edit]
Main article: The Origins of Totalitarianism
Arendt's first major book was titled The Origins of Totalitarianism (1951), which traced the roots of Stalinism and Nazism in both anti-Semitism and imperialism. The book was opposed by the Left on the grounds that it presented the two movements as equally tyrannical. She further contends that Jewry was not the operative factor in the Holocaust, but merely a convenient proxy. Totalitarianism in Germany was, in the end, about terror and consistency, not eradicating Jews.

More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Arendt#Eichmann_in_Jerusalem:_A_Report_on_the_Banality_of_Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 748 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:31 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
factor of executor to me
Not sure Ori what that means. Your English vocab is more extensive than mine

He's saying that race was an excuse, that they might have looked around and found some other factor to exploit, rile everyone up

The Germans who Heiled Hitler were really compliant and as one of Deutsch ancestry I've oft wondered whether they've really changed
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 09:40 am
@oristarA,
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/operative

Adj. 1. operative - being in force or having or exerting force; "operative regulations"; "the major tendencies operative in the American political system"

3. operative - effective; producing a desired effect; "the operative word"
significant, important - important in effect or meaning; "a significant change in tax laws"; "a significant change in the Constitution"; "a significant contribution"; "significant details"; "statistically significant"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:42 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
factor of executor to me
Not sure Ori what that means. Your English vocab is more extensive than mine

He's saying that race was an excuse, that they might have looked around and found some other factor to exploit, rile everyone up

The Germans who Heiled Hitler were really compliant and as one of Deutsch ancestry I've oft wondered whether they've really changed

Cool!
Did you mean "proxy" refers to "excuse"?
oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:43 am
@dalehileman,
operative factor = provocative factor
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:01 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Cool!
Thanks Ori

Quote:
Did you mean "proxy" refers to "excuse"?
I'd say so but we're getting into deeper ground. Maybe one our experts can resolve any technicality
0 Replies